Monday, April 24, 2023

In a Vase on Monday: Going big

We had a couple of very warm days late last week and while that jump-started some flowers that have been reluctant to bloom, it's directed others to the nearest exit.  I factored both circumstances in putting together this week's arrangements.  That strategy also resulted in larger arrangements, requiring heavy vases to ensure that the contents wouldn't end up on the floor.

The peach foxgloves I planted from four-inch pots back in November cried out to be cut.  I cut three stems but misjudged just how tall they were.  Although I reduced their size, their height required taller accent plants to support them.

The foxgloves still tower over the rest of the vase's contents, even though I cut long branches of Grevillea to flesh out the arrangement

Back view, showing the tall heavy cut crystal vase I use relatively infrequently

Top view, which was harder to get than usual.  Even with a step-stool, I couldn't get a full view.

Clockwise from the upper left: Aeonium haworthii 'Kiwi Verde', Digitalis purpurea 'Dalmatian Peach', Grevillea 'Superb', and Xylosma congestum


The Dutch Iris were among the flowering plants that didn't appreciate temperatures soaring from the upper 60sF to a peak of 88F (31C).  I cut a lot of them for my second arrangement.  This arrangement isn't as tall as it is wide and heavy.  Although I tried to balance the weight of the floral stems I'd selected, I nearly tipped over the vase several times myself.  When that happened the fourth time as I was photographing it, I acknowledged the inevitable and crammed the cut stems into a much heavier vase made out of glass block.  However, the photos below show the contents in the original vase.

The Iris stems aren't heavy but the Echium and Leucospermum stems are very much so


Back view:  The Echium stems were cut from a self-seeded shrub that sits atop a slope along our southern property line

Top view:  One of the Leucospermum stems has twin flowers.  Most of this Leucospermum's stems produce only single flowers, or at least that's been my experience.

Clockwise from the upper left:  Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt', Echium candicans, Psoralea pinnata (which bloomed seemingly overnight this past weekend), Iris hollandica 'Sapphire Beauty', and Leucospermum 'High Gold' (formerly identified as 'Goldie' because that was how it was labeled at time of purchase)

 

I transferred some of the contents of last week's vases into two smaller vases because I couldn't bring myself to toss the stems that still looked good.


 

The two new arrangements earned price of place.  The second arrangement is shown in the glass block vase that replaced the lighter vase.


 

For more IAVOM arrangements, visit our host, Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

28 comments:

  1. Both arrangements are abundant and beautiful. Though I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite, blue and yellow tend to make my heart flutter. Lucky you for having a vase for every occasion :-D
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of lead crystal vases, both given to me as gifts. I use them so seldom that I've stored them in a cabinet above the stove hood that requires me to drag out a step-stool to retrieve. As to the glass block vase, I have the vague recollection of picking it up for nearly nothing when I was too poor to afford "real" vases. I don't think I've used it in many years but I must have kept it assuming that it'd come in handy some day!

      Delete
  2. How interesting, the Aeonium haworthii 'Kiwi Verde' blooms are dead ringers for sempervivum blooms. I love the peachy arrangement! We're facing our own warm up this week. While I am thrilled to finally get some heat (it's been over 6 months since we've hit 70 degrees, our highs for the month of April have been in the 50's, with the exception of just 3 days when we made it into the 60's) it's naturally a case of too much too fast, they're predicting 86 for Friday! This when our trees haven't yet leaded-out and all the tender new spring foliage will be exposed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Aeonium haworthii flowers are among the few succulent flowers I actually like, Loree. We're getting an especially large number of them this year, which along with 3 blooming agaves I'm attributing to all the rain we had.

      I'm sorry you're getting an extreme temperature jump like we did last week. While we didn't have a stretch of cold temperatures as low or as long as you've had, we were looking forward to some 70F days as well, only to get up close to 90F. Luckily, thanks to the mixed blessing of our marine layer, our temperatures are dropping again - we're back in the low 60s today.

      Delete
  3. My goodnes, I couldn't conceive of making such a tall vase, and wouldn't have a vase big or stable enough to house oxgloves like this - but how wonderfully statuesque they are! And as always you have just the right accompanying material - those peachy colours I always associate with you, Kris! Of course I love the blues too, and the contrast with the green foliage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The side flowers of the foxgloves are so much shorter, I'd almost forgotten how tall the plants first blooms can get! I had other flowers in mind to pair with those stems before I realized that most weren't nearly beefy enough to hold their own with the foxgloves ;)

      Delete
  4. Hi Kris, your vases are like little fireworks. The first one is particularly beautiful featuring some of my favourite colours and the contrasting shapes add so much interest. As always I'm at awe when I see the variety you can choose from. Hope all is well with you and your cat, have a fab week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to all the rain we had this year, we're gratefully enjoying a particularly floriferous year, Annette. Pipig is doing well for a 15-year old cat with a history of cancer, although I no longer allow her to wander around outside, even with supervision, much to her annoyance.

      Delete
  5. I just love that peach foxglove arrangement Kris!!! It is stunning in all its splendor and would command center stage in any room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does do that! I was glad I reduced the height of the foxglove stems enough to fit under the dining room light. I don't have many other spots it would have fit.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous color today, Kris. The peach foxglove is fantastic and well worth the spotlight in the arrangement. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The foxgloves have all been slow to bloom this year, Amelia - like virtually everything in my cutting garden - but they've all spurted heavenward after just a couple days of noticeably warmer temperatures.

      Delete
  7. I love the extra height you allowed in the foxglove arrangement. It's well-balanced in width by the Grevillea and foliage, also with the height of the container. The blue/yellow creation is great also. Such rich color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reducing the size of those foxglove stems any further would've felt like a crime, Susie. As it was I removed 2-3 inches of the flowering section on each of the stalks, as well as at least 6 inches of stalks below the florets.

      Delete
  8. Stunning vases and colors but those peachy foxgloves, swoon! There is something about foxgloves that screams fairies to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! For some reason, those tall peach foxgloves always make me think of rabbit ears, Donna.

      Delete
  9. The foxgloves are certainly imposing - love the colors. The blue and yellow arrangement looks more comfortable in the block vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm afraid I crammed the materials in the blue and yellow arrangement into the glass block vase with no further fussing whatsoever once I decided that the first vase was too unstable. I just didn't have the patience to fiddle with it any further.

      Delete
  10. It is lovely to have taller flowers to work with occasionally and you mastered them well in your heavy crystal vase. The iris are so pretty too and I betvthey are happier in a vase of water than outdoors in the heat! I like the shape of your Echium flowers - the wild Echium here is a bit different, but just as blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should have cut every Dutch Iris in sight, Cathy. They're shriveling quickly now.

      Delete
  11. Those look great. Must have been something managing big arrangements. I admire your patience with them.

    Hot weather, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost my patience when the second arrangement kept coming close to toppling over, HB. Hence the fact that I simply crammed everything in that arrangement into the glass block vase without any further fussing.

      We had 2 very warm days - Friday peaking at 88.8F - but the marine layer has come back. It never completely cleared yesterday and, although it's sunny at our elevation now, the harbor below is covered by a haze. The marine layer keeps our afternoon temperatures down but unfortunately promotes mildew - I'm afraid my sweet peas will be damaged before they even bloom. I may give them a misting of Neem oil.

      Delete
  12. The digitalis flowers are absolutely stunning Kris! Does you cat show any interest in your vases or have you moved the vase to a less open spot after taking your photo? Although maybe an older and more sensible cat takes no notice of such temptation 🫢

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pipig has been known to get up on the dining table on rare occasions but she hasn't pulled that stunt for a long while and she seems to have lost any interest on nibbling at my vases. She did that occasionally when she was younger, albeit seemingly more as a bid for attention than any real interest in the plants. In any case, now elderly in cat terms, she heads for her heating pad as soon as she finishes breakfast.

      Delete
  13. Spectacular, Kris. Those peach foxgloves are huge! A lovely combination in each and the contrasting colors complement one another well. Beautiful! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed at the at how tall all those peach foxgloves were. The others in my garden don't look that big but maybe they just need a bit more time ;)

      Delete
  14. Two gorgeous vases, Kris--I'm especially smitten by the blue and yellow arrangement and the way the leucospermum and echium each pick up the iris hues so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.