Friday, April 21, 2023

My favorite plant combinations (at the moment)

In spring it's hard not to fall in love with your garden, no matter how frustrated you might have been with it during the the winter or summer months.  This year, after all the unexpected rain we received, my garden seems more bountiful than ever and I appreciate everything it's giving to me.  Some vignettes have stood out as especially appealing and, as temperatures are expected to climb this weekend, at least temporarily, I thought I'd share them before they fall prey to rising temperatures.

 

I got the blue, white and yellow color mix I'd dreamed of in this area surrounding the fountain in the back garden.  The Freesias are mostly gone now but the Dutch Iris, 'Sapphire Beauty' and 'Mystic Beauty', are still going strong.  They're complemented here by Argyranthemum 'White Butterfly' and more blue flowers in the form of low-growing Felicia aethopica and the taller spires of Echium webbii.  Yellow touches are provided by Phlomis fruticosa and Argyranthemum 'Grandaisy Yellow'.  The wire cages protect Echinops and Eryngium from hungry rabbits.

I'd considered pulling out the Dutch Iris 'Eye of the Tiger' last year but I found I like how it plays off the brown stems and leaves of Aristea inaequalis, as well as its bright blue flowers.  It also complements the 3 Mangave 'Pineapple Express' planted in front of it.

This is a more extreme color mix than I usually prefer but it's become one of my favorites nonetheless.  It combines Arctotis 'Pink Sugar', Abelia 'Kaleidoscope', and Lotus berthelotii 'Amazon Sunset'.  There are even a handful of succulent flowers in the background that currently echo the pinkish-orange colors of the Arctotis.

I'd love this yellow-flowered Leucospermum all by itself but I appreciate the way its color is echoed by Arctotis 'Large Marge' in the background too.  I've always identified the Leucospermum as 'Goldie' because that's how it was labeled when I bought it but, after recently spending time looking at plants in this genus online, I now believe it's actually 'High Gold'.

Of course I also like the way the Leucospermum looks against a background of succulents when viewed from its other side

I'm happy with this unplanned mash-up of Melianthus major, backed by Arbutus 'Marina', and highlighted in front by Leucadendron 'Jester', Lobelia laxiflora, and Leucospermum 'Royal Hawaiian Brandi'.  Although the flowers of the Melianthus are largely hidden within the strawberry tree's canopy and the Lobelia is almost always out-of-control, it makes a pretty mix, especially as the Leucospermum's blooms develop further.

This combination is more congested than I'd like at present as Leucadendron 'Cloudbank Ginny' is too big for this spot and probably needs to move.  Still, I like the combination of Grevillea 'Peaches & Cream', Leucospermum 'Spider Hybrid', Narcissus 'Geranium', and Yucca gloriosa 'Variegata'.

Limonium perezii (sea lavender) mixes pleasantly with the foliage of Arthropodium cirratum, Graptopetalum 'Fred Ives', and self-seeded Lobularia maritima (sweet alyssum) and Osteospermum.  Within the next month, the Arthropodium (aka Renga Lily) will add elegant sprays of white flowers accented with small touches of lavender and yellow.

I love the mix of rockroses in this area: Cistus x skanbergi, C. 'Sunset', and C. 'Grayswood Pink'.  The hot pink flowers of Cistus 'Sunset' are only just getting started and that color will be echoed soon by Callistemon 'Hot Pink'Cotinus coggygria 'Royal Purple', visible when the bed is viewed from the opposite direction, also adds a complementary punch of color.

This view of my north side garden, photographed from the stairway leading down my back slope, drew my attention mainly because I'm finally getting a nice display of flowers from Callistemon viridflorus, which plays off the Osteospermum 'Double Moonglow' in front of it and the bright foliage of the persimmon tree in the background.  The Callistemon was kindly sourced and mailed to me by Tamara of Chickadee Gardens in October 2018 when I was unable to find it locally.

I'd be negligent if I didn't include at least one photo focusing on the mix of succulents in my south-side garden.  This photo highlights Agave 'Blue glow', A. 'Blue Flame', Aeonium 'Zwartkopf', A. 'Sunburst', and Crassula pubescens ssp radicans among other plants.


I'm happy with many of my containers too, particularly the barrels.

This barrel in my cutting garden contains Viola 'Penny Peach', noID Ranunculus, and Antirrhinum majus 'Chantilly Peach'.  The snapdragons are taking their time about blooming this year.

Also in the cutting garden, this barrel contains Digitalis 'Dalmatian Peach', noID Calibrachoa, and more Viola 'Penny Peach'

In my front garden, this barrel holds yellow and orange Calendula, noID Calibrachoa, another Digitalis 'Dalmatian Peach', and Argyranthemum 'White Chocolate'

This barrel contains Bacopa 'Double Indigo' (not readily visible in this shot), Nemesia 'Sunglow', and Scabiosa columbaria 'Deep Blue'.  There's also a Nepeta 'Blue Prelude', which isn't flowering yet but may be eaten to the ground by the neighborhood cats before it does.

This barrel, in heavier shade, contains Pericallis 'Violet Bi-color', Calibrachoa 'Cabaret Blue Sky', Viola 'Penny Peach', and Lobularia maritima (alyssum) in a variety of colors

This pot is barer than the others but, as I love everything blue, I'm still fond of it.  It contains Delphinium elatum 'Cobalt Dreams' and Nolana paradoxa.  The recently planted Nolana is supposed to spread quickly but, if it doesn't, I'll add a second groundcover.


My back slope and my cutting garden have been slow to get moving this spring, presumably because our temperatures have remained on the cool side.  I've been expecting both areas to burst into bloom any time now, especially as our temperatures are in the process of jumping.  I'll share closer looks at those areas once they take off.  In the meantime, best wishes for a pleasant weekend.


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party



22 comments:

  1. It is fantastic to capture those vignettes, a brief moment in time, where by design or luck, our gardens come together and make us fall in love with then all over again.
    The 'Eye of the Tiger' vignette turned out fantastic; you should take credit for it and forget about almost pulling it out :-D
    The yellow blooming Leucospermum ought to be named 'High Goldie' to cover all bases. Love that photo: with a path, a tree and panoramic view. It doesn't get any better than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! 'High Goldie', I love it! I no longer plan to pull out the 'Eye of the Tiger' Iris bulbs - I'm glad I gave myself time to learn to love them.

      Delete
  2. Great views and plant combinations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phillip. I usually do consider placement before planting but a lot of these compositions are pure serendipity ;)

      Delete
  3. The garden is looking exceptionally colourful and floriferous right now. Definitely time to savour it all. Enjoy every moment as who knows what the next season will bring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that we're moving into an El Nino weather pattern, which if true generally (but not always) means heavier rain for Southern California, although I know this isn't true in other parts of the world, like the PNW. As we're already getting our first taste of summer this weekend, however, the impact of summer heat already looms large.

      Delete
  4. Glorious! I had to look through twice. I love 'High Goldie", so bright. I'm a huge fan of Delphinium Cobalt Dreams, I throw a few in every year it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For years I didn't believe I had a chance of growing Delphiniums in my garden. I thought it was too hot and too dry. However, although I can't grow it in my borders, it's a perfect candidate for my cutting garden so I now add one or 2 every year as well :)

      Delete
  5. Your first paragraph is so true, but I think I would be in love with your garden year-round. The climate and your designs are incredible. Love your potted arrangements, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Beth, although I think you might be less than delighted with it at the height of summer during a heatwave.

      Delete
  6. I love that shot that includes the leucospermum with the background of succulents. magic! It looks like we'll be seeing our first 70 degree day this coming week, followed by our first 80 degree day two days later...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I know you like temperatures on the higher end of the spectrum, Loree, I hope it doesn't get too warm too fast in your area. We got close to 90F on Friday and my garden wasn't happy. Luckily, those temperatures are slowly lowering again here.

      Delete
  7. I admire your garden so much Kris. So creative and well cared for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie. I enjoy your garden too and would love to see it if I ever end up in your general area.

      Delete
  8. I can’t believe how green and lush everything looks. I agree with Loree, that Leucospermum backed by succulents is sublime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As my friend Hoover Boo of Piece of Eden often says "rain is magic" here, Jerry.

      Delete
  9. happy spring, Kris! the rain dance finally worked! I'm looking at your striking stand of aristea and wondering how it would like zone 8b. I know I tried it in Long Beach but never got it established -- love your big, tall clump of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Aristea inaequalis took its time getting there, Denise. It's been in place since July 2014 (although it has bloomed well for 3 years now). I've had an Aristea major in a large pot for at least 4 years and it's yet to bloom even once.

      Delete
  10. Your garden truly looks spectacular this spring. You'd never know we're coming out of a harsh winter. I wish my garden looked 1/4 as good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't get anywhere near as cold as you did and, while rainfall was plentiful by our standards, we also got a lot less than you did. I hope your losses are behind you, Gerhard, and that summer, when it arrives, is kinder than usual.

      Delete
  11. Stunning garden shots, Kris. The benefit of rain is evident, I don't think I've ever seen your garden looking so lush...magnificent. What a great year! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure my garden has ever looked this lush - or floriferous - either, Eliza, although it's changed so much over the years, it's hard to make direct comparisons.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.