Monday, April 17, 2023

In a Vase on Monday: Lurid or lovely?

Dutch Iris 'Eye of the Tiger' burst into bloom last week.  Last year, when the blooms first appeared, I considered pulling up the bulbs but the color of the flowers grew on me so I left them in place.  I used the flowers in one arrangement last year but I didn't want to duplicate the mix this time around.  However, the colors I combined this time were much the same even if the accent materials I used were different (with one exception).

The falls of Iris 'Eye of the Tiger' open in a bronze color, gradually transitioning to maroon, while the standards are a dark purple

Back view: Like last year I played off the gold "eyes" in the Iris falls using yellow flowers, this time choosing the Dr Seuss-like flowers of Phlomis fruticosa

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Abelia 'Kaleidoscope', Phlomis fruticosa (aka Jerusalem sage), Xylosma congestum, Iris hollandica 'Eye of the Tiger', and Limonium perezii (aka sea lavender)

 

The inspiration for my second arrangement was the 'Cynthia' species tulips.  As in prior years, 'Cynthia' lagged her cousin 'Lady Jane' by several weeks.  The Ixia bulb blooms and Alstroemeria 'Inca Sundance' showed up just in time to join in.

The partially open buds of Alstroemeria 'Inca Sundance' mirror the appearance of the 'Cynthia' species tulips.  The flowers of 'Inca Sundance' should open fully within a day or so.  The tulips should open fully with mid-day sun exposure in our front entry.

Back view: I've got a noID pink Alstroemeria that leans to the yellow end of the color spectrum and another that leans blue.  I used the former to fill in the back of the arrangement.

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt', Ixia (aka African corn lilies and wand flowers), Alstroemeria 'Inca Vienna', noID pink Alstroemeria, A. 'Inca Sundance', Tulipa clusiana 'Cynthia', and Xylosma congestum

 

For more IAVOM creations, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.



All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

26 comments:

  1. Definitely rates a "lovely" from me, Kris! Very different materials, each item makes a dynamic contribution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie. I think I like this arrangement with 'Eye of the Tiger' better than my previous ones, even though I combined the same colors.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you kept 'Eye of the Tiger' it brings a lot of drama to the vase. I feel this year's arrangement looks better not having Leucospermum 'Goldie' competing for center stage.
    I love the second vase too! It's amazing you were able to find so many "stripy" blooms, though non as fabulous as Tulip 'Cynthia'!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was initially in a quandary as to what to use with those tulips, Chavli. I was frankly surprised to find both the Ixia flowers and the first, still developing, bloom of Alstroemeria 'Inca Sundance'.

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure I would like the "Eye of the Tiger" all by itself as it looks a little too close to black to me. But I do like that you have paired it with other purples and the yellows tone it down to make a lovely arrangement. I think I would have had to pull it out, but you have so many more flowers to work with, that make it a nice addition to an arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'Eye of the Tiger' Irises are growing on either side of an Aristea inaequalis, which has small bright blue flowers growing up tall brown stems with small brownish leaves. I don't think I consciously planned that combination but, as it turns out, the 2 don't look bad together.them. There's a partner for every plant it seems ;)

      Delete
  4. My favourtie arrangement this week is that with the Tulips, with the greenery and Alstromeria they are so well matched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noelle. I'm very pleased to have finally found some tulips that both bloom and come back annually in my garden.

      Delete
  5. You have a fantastic eye for arranging color. I agree the way you've paired Eye of the Tiger with yellows makes it special. My favorite though is the Alstromeria combo and it will probably last for weeks. Both are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Alstroemeria will hold up but I don't know if the tulips will, tz. I'll enjoy them for however long they hang on.

      Delete
  6. I have to admit they are both eye-catching, but the species tulip really made me pause. Love the way you put together both vases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tulipa clusiana was a wonderful discovery from my perspective - I formerly considered tulips, like peonies, part of my holy grail category of plants.. I should look around to see if I can find any others in the same species.

      Delete
  7. It's good to see limonium in use again in a vase - I love its verstaility and its flowering season, and it's so easy to grow too, The blue and yellow combination is always striking but I love how you have picked out the different shades in the tuilps in the second vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, Limonium maintains a presence in my garden for months, Cathy. The flowers dry nicely whether cut or intact on the plant.

      Delete
  8. Definitely a stand-out iris, I'm glad 'Eye of the Tiger' grew on you, Kris. I like the Phlomis... I imagine a deep yellow freesia would pick up the yellow quite well, but they might have all gone over?
    The pink/white alstro and tulips make me think of a birthday party, so happy! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Freesias are close to ending their season, Eliza. I possibly could have found one or 2 stems with yellow flowers but the Phlomis were calling me ;)

      Delete
  9. Both beautiful arrangements Kris - the blue and yellow is my favourite of the two. I love the look of that iris. Does it flower for long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Eye of the Tiger' blooms hold up in the garden as well as the other Dutch Iris blooms in my garden. If I time when I cut the Iris stems just right, with the first bloom is at its peak and the secondary bloom just emerging, they'll flower for about a week; however, I can't claim I routinely do that. The Dutch Iris are irritating in that those grouped together bloom almost simultaneously so I get a lot of blooms all at once and they fade on much the same schedule too.

      Delete
  10. I love the second arrangement, it is like a birthday party! I like Eye of the Tiger and find the really deep tones difficult to combine with others, I really like the Abelia with it - where do you get all those cool Abelias??Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abelias are very popular shrubs here in SoCal, Amelia, although lately I've had a hard time finding them in the smaller pots I prefer to plant. 'Kaleidoscope' seems to be the most popular variety at present.

      Delete
  11. Great combinations--both spectacular! And the physical vases are perfect vessels for your arrangements. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. Those are 2 of my favorite go-to vases.

      Delete
  12. Drama queens in their own special way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The tulips and alstroemera go so well together Kris, and I like the Xylosma foliage in both vases - another new plant to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our property was surrounded with Xylosma hedges on 3 sides when we acquired it, Cathy, but I have to say it's the best hedge material I've ever come across.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.