Monday, April 3, 2023

In a Vase on Monday: I couldn't resist...

I knew I wanted to use certain Narcissi in one of today's vases but I couldn't decide on a focal point to show them off.  My eyes kept coming back to one of my orange-flowered Leucospermums, which had only one bloom.  I wouldn't usually cut the first bloom of the season on any plant but I couldn't convince myself to accept any alternatives - and it isn't as though Leucospermum 'Royal Hawaiian Brandi' doesn't have buds gearing up to flower...

This Leucospermum has the most flamboyant blooms of the plants in that genus in my garden, if not the greatest profusion of flowers

Back view: Narcissi 'Geranium' and 'Beautiful Eyes' are currently at their peak bloom

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Anagallis 'Wildcat Mandarin', noID orange and yellow Calendula, white Freesia, Leucospermum 'Royal Hawaiian Brandi', Narcissus 'Beautiful Eyes', N. 'Geranium', noID Ranunculus, and Xylosma congestum



With plenty of blooms on my 'Pink Panther' Dutch Iris, it was the natural choice as the centerpiece for my second arrangement.  I wasn't sure what I was going to pair with it but I uncovered more than I expected.

The Iris is more lavender than pink

Back view: Despite the yellow flame on the fall of the Iris, I used flowers with pink, purple, and white notes to complement it

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Bacopa 'Double Indigo'; Lavandula stoechas; Scabiosa columbaria 'Deep Blue'; mix of lavender, white and purple Freesia; Iris hollandica 'Pink Panther'; Limonium perezii, and Salvia hybrid 'Pozo Blue'

 

As I couldn't allow myself to toss out the stems of Leucospermum 'Goldie' I cut two weeks ago, I popped them into a small vase and tossed in one of the blooms of the 'Mystic Beauty' Dutch Iris that began to open last week.

It sits on the kitchen island

 

Last week's rain may be our last for the season.  Our rainy season usually ends in April and, with a total of 21.10 inches since the season's start on October 1, 2022, I can't complain as that's well above our old "normal," not to speak of recent norms.  Still, I'd gotten used to having Mother Nature take care of the watering for us and I'll miss that.  Forecasters are now predicting a slow rise in temperatures, possibly edging to 80F/26.7C within the next week.

 

For more IAVOM posts, visit our host, Cathy of Rambling in the Garden.



All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

26 comments:

  1. Oh, so beautiful! I get your hesitation, but you made the right choice to bring it inside and enjoy the bloom(s).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'd been able to see 'Brandi's' bloom through my home office window but now I'll just watch the other buds develop ;) It's odd that the one bloom was so far ahead of the rest.

      Delete
  2. Brave lady cutting the first flower. I struggle to cut anything until frost threatens in the Fall. The Pink Panther is decidedly blue. Wonder how they chose the name as it's not very pink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect someone thought the 'Pink Panther' name had appeal and, to be honest, I probably noticed it for that reason. They did have a photo on the bulb package showing its lavender color with only a tiny hint of pink. In strong sunlight, if I squint, I can catch a touch of pink at the base of the petals.

      Delete
  3. Much as I admire the stunning Leucospermum , it is the second picture of the vase I like best, as the bright yellow trumpets of the narciss really pull all the yellows and oranges together - such a cheerful and sunny vase 👍 And of course I love the 'blues' in your second vase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very pleased with Narcissus 'Beautiful Eyes', which I bought on the fly last fall - and I've always loved N. 'Geranium'. Both are tazetta types so they provide a lot of punch with their clustered blooms.

      Delete
  4. Sure looks like Spring in your vases! Brava! You worked well with how the pollen presenters open asymetrically on 'Brandi'.

    I love Ranunculus but they don't come back the next year so I'm too cheap to buy them.

    That's a gorgeous Iris--must keep my eyes open for that one. 'Pink Panther', yes, where's the pink? A bit on the top of the standards it looks like. I've got a pink Salvia called 'Purple Pavement and always wonder--where's the purple? (The flower stems, maybe?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine made a similar comment about 'Pink Panther's' color. I was suspicious when I bought the bulbs and not sure I liked the color when the first bloom appeared but it's grown on me. Either there are a lot of color-blind growers out there or they favor catchy names they think may help their sales, in this case playing on the old Pink Panther movie series.

      Delete
  5. I love the textural contrast of your last vase. So tasty...Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting close to dinner time there, Amelia? I thought I was the one prone to find floral posts prompting my appetite ;)

      Delete
  6. Oh, the Ranunculus is fantastic!! Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Ranunculus. If only they were easier to grow from corms here. For now, I'm letting the local garden centers get them started for me.

      Delete
  7. That’s why we garden; so we don’t have to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you gave in and created that masterpiece of a vase. Beautiful Leucospermum. I love the color of Pink Panther and have to admit until I read the comments I didn't even think about it being pink! You've certainly had nice rains this year. It's turning dry here already. It's been very windy so I'm already having to water some new shrubs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the wind keeps up here, I expect I'll have to cave in and turn the irrigation system back on next week, Susie. I don't have the time - or the strength - to water everything using my stored rainwater, although I'll rely on that for the pots, the cutting garden, and the many spots that don't get enough of what they need from the sprinklers or drip systems.

      Delete
  9. Hi Kris, you're definitely a lot braver than I am when it comes to cutting flowers in the garden. 😁 Your vases look stunning and I bet you're the only one on the planet to combine Leucospermum and daffodils. I also have 'Geranium', one of the best performers. It'll be a while yet though before my irises will flower. Happy spring days to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave or foolish, Annette?! But there will be plenty of other blooms from that Leucospermum within the next several weeks, especially now that warmer temperatures are on their way.

      Delete
  10. You have some very pretty Narcissi Kris. I like the pale yellow ones, but yours also have a lovely deep orange crown which is quite striking. The blue of the irises is also a heartening sight. Spring is well underway! Your warmth is enviable though… only 2°C here at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2C! Although this year has been far colder than normal for us along the coast of Southern California, we don't get temperatures as low as that even at the height of winter in the middle of the night.

      Delete
  11. Both vases are stunning. I am bowled over by the orange Leucospermum. Such an exotic flower and perfect in a vase of those daffodils. I always love to see iris as I had a garden full at the old house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That plant's flowers are flashy even for a Leucospermum, Donna ;)

      Delete
  12. Love the vibrant oranges with the narcissi in the first, but the second is such a beautiful blend of purples, I always fall for your dutch iris! 21" of rain is terrific, everything must look so lush out there. Any word about super blooms? I wish I could see it this year! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was some question as to whether the timing of the rain would support a superbloom like the one we saw several years ago, Eliza. However, I've heard that the poppies are already plentiful enough in the Lake Elsinore area, that authorities have issues parking limitations.

      Delete
  13. Your selection makes the yellow on the iris sing out for itself.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.