Friday, March 10, 2023

"O" is for Osteospermum

Photographing what's in flower for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day each month can be a time-consuming process, especially in spring.  I started taking shots for the March 15th post this week.  As lumping all my photos into a single post each month means giving short shrift to many that deserve closer attention, I thought I'd carve out one entire group for another post focusing on a particular genus, in this case Osteospermum.  Although I hadn't planned to put together another post like this so soon after 'A is for Agave', any discussion of Osteospermum is really all about flowers so it seemed well-timed.

Osteospermum are commonly called African daisies.  It's trye they're native to parts of southern and eastern Africa and they have a daisy-type form but that description is confusing as the same common name is applied to a host of other flowering plants like Arctotis, Gazania and Gerbera.  They used to be part of the genus Dimorphotheca but that genus is now confined to annual varieties, while perennial varieties are classified as Osteospermum.  In my garden, Osteospermum are short-lived perennials and flower best during our cooler seasons.  They're at their very best in spring.  Many self-seed.  In recent years, growers have introduced a variety of double-petaled forms and new colors, which has made the genus more interesting.

Many of the plants shown here in my back garden, particularly the single-petaled forms, are self sown

This is the same area, shown from a different direction

This is the dirt path between that border and the hedge than runs the full length of my back garden.  The path is used only by the gardener who trims our hedges, the coyotes, and me.  I didn't plant any of these Osteospermum.  Even the double-petaled variety in this area planted itself.

The varieties included in this area are:
Top row - the single-petaled species and my favorite, O. '4D Silver', which I'm no longer able to find
Middle - O. '4D Dark Violet Ice'
Bottom - the original O. '4D Violet Ice'

Another area on the north side of the house is also populated by a mix of Osteospermum, many self-seeded.

Some of this bed is in partial shade but the Osteospermum still thrive

I'm not sure how the mix shown in the closeup on the right came together.  I remember planting O. '4D Violet Ice' there a few years ago but not the '4D Purple' variety or the single-petaled pink variety.


Other varieties are peppered throughout my garden.  Here's a closer look at some of them.

The plant on the lower right is O. 'Berry White'.  The plant shown on the left and in closeup on the upper right is similar in color but its outer petals are white rather than pale pink and the inner petals more closely resemble O. '4D Violet Ice'.  I'm wondering if it's a self-sown mutant.  O. 'Berry White' was planted 10-12 feet from where the other plant appeared.

This is O. '4D Pink'.  When originally planted last year, the inner petals were more blue than pink.  I tripped across more Osteospermum labeled '4D Pink' at a local garden center yesterday and found those were also bluer in color. 

This is a photo of O. '4D Pink' taken in March 2022.  It seems it doesn't hold its form from one year to the next, which is too bad.

I purchased O. '4D White' earlier this year but can't say I love it

I've had a hard time hanging on to the yellow and orange varieties in my garden.  The one on the left is called 'Double Moonglow'.  The one on the upper right is 'Blue Eyes' - only this one, sporting 2 flowers, is left among the 5 or 6 I originally planted.  The orange one on the bottom right is of the last 'Serenity Bronze' I planted years ago but the others may have been overtaken by nearby succulents.

I noticed these in a neighbor's garden yesterday.  Unlike me, they have no problem growing 'Blue Eyes'.

These single-petaled purple and pink varieties are self-sown remnants of plants I grew years ago.  I believe the pink variety on the right is the progeny of a pink "spoon-petaled" type I once grew in the same general area.

I still have a few O. 'Purple Spoon' that have retained their characteristic petal shape as shown here


Although these plants are commonly available in garden centers in my area, I wish they were sold as plug plants rather than in four to six inch pots in full bloom and badly root-bound.  I think they'd develop better root systems and do better in the long run.  They perform best for me when periodically deadheaded.  I see few flowers from them during the summer months but, if they don't burn out due to a combination of extreme heat and overly dry soil, they return reliably once the temperatures decline in the fall.  I inevitably lose some but they're a worthwhile investment in a climate like mine.  In colder climates, I suspect they should be treated as annuals unless you have someplace to overwinter them.

Best wishes for a safe and comfortable weekend.  There's a ninety percent chance of rain here on Friday and another good chance of rain again between Monday and Wednesday next week.  In my area, that's a good thing but it could be a big problem in California's mountain areas, where the warmer rain from this system may melt the snow still trapping people living in some of those areas, causing flooding on top of the miseries they've already experienced.  These extreme weather fluctuations can be a boon or a plague.


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


16 comments:

  1. Seattle area nurseries offer African daisies in late spring: many display tables with multitudes of colors. I swoon, but know that even if I splurge on annuals, which I rarely do, they serve as "bunny meal": petals are gone within days of planting. I've accepted the fact I can only feast my eyes on Osteospermum in your garden, and delight in the cross pollination that evidently happens freely in your garden. My favorite is whichever one I lay my eyes on at that moment :-D
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rabbits have gone after the Gazanias here but oddly not the Osteospermums. I hope I haven't jinxed myself by saying that...

      Delete
  2. They are so lovely in your garden. K has great success with them also. My garden, not so much. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's weird, HB. Everything usually flourishes in your garden!

      Three-tenths of an inch of rain here today so far. Slow but steady.

      Delete
  3. I love this flower in all its variations, but my climate doesn't make it worth growing. While we can buy plants in spring, once the heat hits they stop blooming and once fall comes frost stops them before they have a chance to bloom again. But I sure do enjoy yours! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that an "annual" that only lasts 2-3 months isn't worth much, Eliza.

      Delete
  4. Your Osteospermums are incredibly beautiful! I've grown some in the past and, in fact, I still have some in a pot that I bring in to the sunroom for the winter. That reminds me...I should check to see if they're starting to bud. Lovely, lovely collection you have there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're able to enjoy them in your climate, Beth! You'r sunroom must be a joy to have during the winter months.

      Delete
  5. I love Osteospermum and you have some wonderful & beautiful varieties here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that I've become an Osteospermum collector of sorts, Nikki ;)

      Delete
  6. Probably a personal quirk, but I do not find Osteospermum foliage attractive, and since I live in the Central Valley, it has a fairly short period of bloom in spring, before the heat hits. I prefer Arctotis, the grey foliage is more attractive in my opinion, and the plant is more drought tolerant, with it's more thicker, succulent like leaves. I love 'Pink Sugar', which really pops against the grey foliage. One species of Arctotis that I never see anymore, is Arctotis stoechadifolia, which spreads rapidly by runners to form a thick, dense groundcover, with large white flowers. It's a real winner, it's a shame I never see it offered anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't claim I grow Osteospermum for its foliage either but I still appreciate the flowers, especially the double-petaled varieties that stay open in low light, allowing me to use them in floral arrangements. I grow Arctotis - 'Pink Sugar', 'Large Marge', and 'Opera Pink' - and I love them too, my only beef being that I don't consider them good subjects for cutting as they close in low light. I wasn't familiar with Arctotis stoechadifolia so I looked it up. It reminds me of plants I've seen sold as Venidium fastuosum, which looks like its sometimes sold as Arctotis fastuosa. I purchased a few from Annie's Annuals & Perennials a few years ago - I loved the flowers but a severe heatwave took them out prematurely. Annie's still offers that plant, although it's not currently in stock. Wikipedia claims it naturalizes, at least in Southern California.

      Delete
  7. Those are so fresh and spring-like. Love your hedge in the first photo. Had to check what I had under "O" and it turns out only some ferns. Initially I thought oaks and then remembered their botanical name beqins with q!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hedge is my "X", Linda! (It's Xylosma congestum and I inherited a lot if it with this property as hedges are more common than fences.) An oak would be my "Q" if only I had room for it.

      Delete
    2. A pin oak next time a space opens up?

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the suggestion, Diana, but I think a pin hole oak would be big for virtually any area I have, even if one of my existing trees were to die. It's mature height would also put me in the crosshairs of any neighbor who wanted to go after me to enforce our community's "view conservation" ordinance, and I've already been down that path :(

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.