Friday, March 3, 2023

"A" is for Agave

Linda Brazill, author of the blog Each Little Garden, recently published a post entitled 'The alphabet garden' drawing from grower and garden designer Rob Dilbik's habit of talking about plants in terms of the alphabet.  The premise is that we create a multitude of words and material using just twenty-six letters and, similarly, we can create gardens and landscapes using a relatively small number of plants.  Linda took a look at her own garden in terms of the alphabet of plant genera she's collected, prompting some of her readers, myself included, to do quick run-downs of their own collections in those terms.  For the record, I found plants representing all the letters of the alphabet except "u" and "q" in my own garden.

I thought this was an interesting way to focus on some of the plants with the most prominent roles in my own garden.  I actually have a quite a number of plant genera starting with the letter "a", including Abelia, Aeonium, Agapanthus, Aloe, and Argyranthemum to name but a few; however, it's the Agaves that probably make the biggest impression.  Although many of my posts refer to Agaves, I don't think I've ever surveyed my collection and I decided it was a about time for me to do so.  So here we go.  Fair warning: I've got 30+ species/hybrids in this genera.

Agave americana mediopicta 'Alba':  Hoover Boo of Piece of Eden gave me 3 pups of this plant years ago.  This is the largest but there are 2 others in the same south-side bed, as well as 2 pups in my street-side garden.  It's a sneaky pupper - they often appear several feet from the parent plants.

Agave angustifolia 'Marginata':  This one sits in a corner of the south-side garden along our property line.  It mirrors a nearby Yucca gloriosa 'Variegata' in appearance.

Agave applanata:  I picked this one up at Solana Succulent in 2014.  At the time the nursery's owner, Jeff Moore, told me he wasn't positive of its identity but it might be A. applanata.  Now mature, it looks like the photos of that plant I've seen online.

Agave attenuata (aka foxtail agave):   A clump of A. attenuata was the only succulent in the garden we inherited when we purchased the house.  I've cut pups from that clump (shown on the left) many times since, spreading them throughout the garden.  I probably couldn't inventory them all if I tried.  The largest clumps are currently found on our back slope (middle photo) and in the street-side bed (right photo).

I also have 2 named cultivars of Agave attenuata, 'Raea's Gold' (shown on the left) and 'Ray of Light' (shown on the right).  Between the 2 of them, I've got 5 plants, not counting a couple of smaller pups.

Agave 'Blue Flame':  This is another prolific pupper that I've spread around the garden.  The clump on the left is one of 2 in the south-side garden.  The clump on the right is in the the street-side bed.  There's another in my back border and a small pup (struggling a bit) on the back slope.  They grow relatively fast and my larger clumps will need paring again this year.

Agave 'Blue Glow':  This cultivar was the first agave I purchased after we moved here 12 years ago.  This is generally a solitary specimen and I purchased most of mine as small plants in 6-inch pots within a 2-3 year period before they became really popular (and more expensive).  There are 7 plants in my south-side bed (left photo) and 3 in the street-side bed.  I bought a one-gallon plant more recently, which is in the back garden and I bought 2 other small plants by mail order last summer, which are in pots awaiting placement.  As my largest 'Blue Glow' has developed a bloom stalk and others of a similar age could soon follow, I wanted to have replacements on hand when some of them make their final exit.

Agave bracteosa (aka squid agave):  This plant may produce more pups than any other in my garden.  They usually appear some distance away from the parent and are often hidden from sight into they get larger.  The original plant, purchased in 2015, already had 2 pups.  I planted all 3 (shown above) in the back garden.  I've allowed some of their pups to remain in the same area and have planted others on the front slope near my lath house.  I recently added more to a bed outside our dining room window.  I've lost count of how many I have.  They can take a good amount of shade.

Agave capensis:  I got this one as a tiny plant from Huntington Garden's ISI (International Succulent Introductions) program in 2015.  It's a solitary variety.

Agave colorata:  I picked up the parent of this pup in 2016 at a local succulent show in 2016.  It and one other grew relatively quickly, getting too big for the bed alongside our back patio.  I gave one away and planted the other in the street-side bed.  When a soaker hose broke directly underneath it, I moved it again.  The parent plant isn't happy and will soon be relegated to our green bin but, even though the parent plants were removed from the back garden years ago, pups continued to appear there.  This one is in the street side bed (far away from any soaker hose).

Agave desmettiana: These are second-generation plants.  The 2 plants I originally installed along the street bloomed in 2018.  I planted pups, and also bulbils, in a variety of places.  Seven of the largest plants occupy a section of the front slope, along with a few bulbils I planted out later.

Agave gentryi 'Jaws':  I misjudged the size of this agave, as well as the Leucadendron 'Wilson's Wonder' behind it and they're constantly battling for space.  This is another agave that pups regularly.  I've given many of them away but have one larger pup in another area of the front garden.

Agave gypsophila:  This sad specimen came by mail order in a 4-inch pot in 2016.  It got too big for its original spot and I moved it to the front slope in 2021.  It hasn't been happy since but I'm going to give it a dose of succulent fertilizer to see if that improves matters.

Agave impressa:  This is another agave that could use a boost of fertilizer.  It often develops red tones in summer but it's currently looking very yellow.

Agave 'Joe Hoak':  I got one of these agaves from Denise of A Growing Obsession.  I'm not sure where I got the second one.  It's an Agave desmettiana hybrid.

Agave lopantha 'Quadricolor':  This is yet another stealthy pupper.  They've even produced pups in one of my hanging planters.

These 2 are both considered hybrids of Agave macroacantha and Agave victoriae-reginae.  The one on the left is 'Blue Emperor' and the one on the right is 'Royal Spine'.

Agave 'Mateo':  I knew I'd acquired one of these agaves years ago but I had a hard time finding it, probably because it'd been swamped by a nearby Oscularia deltoides (see left photo).  The photo on the right shows it after I'd uncovered it.

Agave mitis 'Multicolor' (syn. Agave celsii 'Multicolor'):  I've 3 of these agaves, all sited in the same area of the front garden.  The smallest was a gift from Denise of A Growing Obsession.  One produced a bloom stalk in November but it's effectively been in a holding pattern since our temperatures dropped.

Agave 'Mr Ripple':  It's thought to be a hybrid of Agave salminiana and Agave protoamericana.  I picked up mine in a small pot at a Cactus and Succulent Society Show in 2016.  It's planted in my south-side garden but only visible to people who walk the dirt path behind the border.  It hasn't produced many pups but I planted one in the front garden.

Agave ovatifolia (aka whale's tongue agave):  The 'Frosty Blue' variety on the left is one of my earliest agave purchases.  It sits in my north-side garden.  Recently, I've only been able to find the 'Vanzie' cultivar.  The one on the right and 2 more recent purchases all came by mail order from Annie's Annuals & Perennials.

Agave parryi:  I picked this one up in a one-gallon pot for a very reasonable price at Island View Nursery in November.

Agave potatorum 'Kichiokan':  I picked this one up at my local botanic garden in 2016 when it still held fall plant sales.  I have a second one in a pot in my north-side garden.

Agave pygmaea 'Dragon Toes':  It's an attractive dwarf agave with noticeable imprints on the leaves.  It's produced at least one pup, which is currently almost as large as its parent.  Both are in my north-side garden.

Agave 'Rosa Gorda' and Agave funkiana 'Blue Haze':  These agaves are so interconnected in my north-side garden they can't be addressed separately.  'Rosa Gorda' isn't well-known and its origins are unclear as well.  (See San Marcos Growers discussion here.)  I've no record where I got it or if it was labeled when I acquired it.  I didn't understand that it would create closely clustered rosettes like this either, hence the fact that it's grown right into Agave funkiana.  The latter pups regularly but I've given most of those away thus far.

Agave striata:  How Sparaxis bulbs planted themselves between the leaves of this spiky agave, I don't know.  This one's in my front garden and there's another in a pot near my lath house.

Agave titanota 'White Ice':  This is another unhappy agave, possibly because I moved it from a large planter into the ground a few years ago.

Agave vilmoriniana (aka octopus agave):  This is the third of my agaves to produce a bloom stalk within months of one another.  I have several bulbils of the 'Stained Glass' cultivar, received from Denise of A Growing Obsession when her plant bloomed.  I gave away the vast majority of those she handed off to me but I've planted a couple in the ground and have others sitting in pots to bulk up.

Agave victoriae-reginae:  I have 2 of these in my north-side garden, both still relatively small in size.

I've noID for this agave, which I recently found crammed under a large Agave 'Blue Flame'.  It might be another form of Agave titanota from the looks of it.  I still haven't figured out a way to get it out of its predicament without damaging it or the 'Blue Flame'.


I may put together other posts based on an alphabetical review of my garden by genus.  There aren't as many plants in any other single genus as there are in the case of the Agaves, with the possible exception of Leucadendrons and Mangaves, but I might lump the alphabetical genera together - or skip around based on which plants are showing off at the moment.  I've no schedule in mind for doing this but don't be surprised if you find other posts like this in the future.

Best wishes for a pleasant weekend.  There's not much chance of rain in the ten-day forecast here but temperatures are supposed to slowly get a little warmer.  I'm looking forward to seeing spring unfold.  In the meantime, I'll share a couple of snowy pics of the mountains east of us, taken yesterday morning when the clouds finally moved out of the way.

Photo taken with a from my back garden looking east toward the San Gabriel Mountains

A closer view of the same vista


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

33 comments:

  1. Glow': the left side of photo #7 is a stunning vignette. I'm certain I commented on it before. And eye candy. And then there's A. ovatifolia 'Frosty Blue'. Yah, I favor the blue tones.
    Must ask about photo 15: Agave 'Joe Hoak' is lovely, but what caught my eye was the plant on the far left looking a bit like stacked rocks... what is it?
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My comment started with: "my favorite Agave is "Blue Glow".
      I'm not sure why some words dropped out ;-)

      Delete
    2. I figured something like that had happened, Chavli. Technology has its quirks! The succulent you're referring to is Crassula perfoliata ssp falcata, aka airplane plant and propeller plant. I can't remember why that one ended up there all by itself. I have a few others on the slope near my lath house, some of which look more propeller-like than that one. It produces flashy red flowers

      Delete
  2. I think most of the plants in my garden are going to begin with D... The daffs should be out soon and I've got more dahlia tubers on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOWSA! What a fun post, a gift on another cold, grey day here in Portland. If you'd have told me you were doing a plants beginning with A post I would have thought sure it was A for aeonium. I do not recall every seeing that patch of Agave 'Rosa Gorda' with the Agave funkiana 'Blue Haze'. It's pretty fabulous! Lovely agaves Kris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I admit I did consider Aeoniums based on the sheer number of those plants but the number of varieties is far smaller so I thought it'd be less interesting (and the agave survey gives me a useful record). The agaves are easier to count. Even treating clusters of the branching agaves like attenuata as one plant, I conservatively estimate I have 100 agaves, which represents a pretty large collection for a garden my size!

      'Rosa Gorda' is a odd sort of Agave. I wish the botanists would evaluate its DNA so we could better understand where it came from. I have a second smaller clump just inches away from the one shown in my photo and my guess is that it planted itself there somehow. At some point, I expect the 2 clumps may merge (unless I find a spot to move the smaller one).

      Delete
  4. Those snow pictures of the San Gabriel mountains are amazing! How often have you had that view (with that much snow)? Your Agave collection...wow! So impressive. I love the premise of focusing on plants based on the alphabet. Linda comes up with some creative ideas, and your post is wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More often than not, I'm unable to see the mountains to the east, Beth! The view is frequently blocked by clouds, smog or a general haze. It's hard to judge the amount of snow using photos snapped from such a distance but comparing my January photos (shown in the post published January 9th), which I think reflect the "average" snow visible from my backyard following a winter storm, and the photos in this post suggests that the mountains have nearly double the coverage at present.

      Delete
  5. Great survey Kris-you have a nice collection. I wish my A. bracteosa 'Monterey Frost ' would pup like the green version -I don't remember where I found it but I haven't seen another one for sale since. Like Loree, I don't remember ever seeing your 'Rosa Gorda' before-very unique ! I read the write-up on it's mysterious origins on the San Marcos site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've looked for 'Monterey Frost' here and I've yet to find it in local garden centers or even online, Kathy. 'Rosa Gorda' is low growing so it could make a decent ground cover - if you have somewhere to put it where you won't get stabbed.

      Delete
  6. What a fun idea! I am SO IMPRESSED you can keep all those names in your head. Agaves are so incredibly beautiful and varied - thanks for the rundown. I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, their names aren't all in my head, Anna. I keep an Excel file on what I plant, although I'm not as meticulous about it as I wish I was when I'm struggling to remember a name. It also doesn't help that sellers haven't always been good at labeling succulents; however, labeling is improving as the plants become more popular here. For example, I don't think 'Rosa Gorda' was identified when I purchased it, at least not correctly. I took a deep dive into a rabbit hole to uncover the identity of that one!

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed every minute. Your A. striata has me questioning the identity of an Agave I have that was labeled as A. geminiflora. I have a particular fondness for the Agaves with strong symmetry, strong variegation ('Quadricolor') and tones of blue - A. attenuata, 'Blue Glow', A. ovatifolia (!), A. parryi, 'Kichiokan' (!!!!!), 'Rosa Gorda', A. victoriae-reginae, and the list goes on. This post must have taken some time to set up. Thank you.
    Oh, I just realized that I've got the U's and Q's covered with Umbilicus, Uvularia, and Quercus! Don't know about X or Z though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerry, I didn't have labels for the 2 agaves I've identified as A. striata. I first thought they were A. stricta but they more clearly matched A. striata and they didn't have the hairs I associate with A. geminiflora. However, I just looked up the latter species again and discovered that there are varieties without those hairs so your ID could be the right one! I guess I won't know for sure until one or the other blooms ;)

      I had 2 U's at one time but both promptly died. (One was Uncinia uncinata but I don't remember the other off-hand.) I'd grow a live oak if I had space for one! My X is Xerochrysum and my Z is Zantedeschia.

      Delete
    2. Drimia maritima used to be Urginea maritima.

      Delete
    3. I considered expanding my list to include common names and former classifications but thus far I'm sticking to my own set of rules. I'll find a U and a Q yet!

      Delete
  8. Letter A is looking good in your garden, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely last photo of the San Gabriel's. Funny how when you start to inventory a certain genus you find you have more than you thought. Lots of gorgeous plants. Especially like the combo of Blue Glow and the variegated Aeonium. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was surprised at both the number of species and the number of individual plants I have - and I didn't count the pups!

      Delete
  10. You have an impressive collection of Agave, Kris! As always, my favorite is 'Blue Glow', but the Squid is a fun one, too. No 'Q' plants? I thought surely you had Quercus somewhere in your garden. That and an umbrella pine would complete your alphabet. :)
    The San Gabriels got a good dumping of snow. That will be welcome moisture for the area, I'm sure. Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have a live oak if I had sufficient space for one, Eliza! According to my Sunset Western Garden guide the umbrella pine requires "regular water" and I avoid plants in that category unless they can fit into one of the raised planters in my cutting garden so it's out. It'd also be "cheating" as its Latin name is Sciadopitys verticillata. I'm good on S plants at present ;)

      The only problem with all that snow is that there are lots of people trapped in the mountains, running our of food, medicine and propane to keep the heat on :( Too much of anything all at once isn't good it seems.

      Delete
  11. A large collection of beautiful Agaves--did you realize you had so many? Plants never seem to create "clutter" no matter how many we might have. (Empty nursery pots, on the other hand...where do they all come from?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, although I knew I'd fallen off the wagon when it comes to agaves, I'd no idea I had so many. My local garden center is now taking empty nursery pots and flats back for recycling to grower sites so I've been gleefully unloading them in installments (although that doesn't mean I'm exactly running out of them yet).

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the shout out. Every time you or Loree post Agave pic I go into lust mode. They are just so dramatic. The closest I can get is Yucca and I don't really have the sun for that. I decided to do a little 7" x7" Blurb book on the garden alphabet idea. I do have Q for Quercus as i have an oak and a number of seedlings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea for one of your blurb books, Linda! Thanks for passing along the idea of addressing plants by category like this. I'll find a U and a Q one day - worst case, one day the botanists are likely to reclassify one or another of my existing plants into some genus I've never heard of. I just checked for orchids and succulents in genera starting with those letters. There was nothing identified within the orchid group but, among succulents, I found one Q (Quaqua) with 2 stapeliad plants and 2 U genera (Uebelmannia and Uncaria), each of which contained 2 plants ;)

      Delete
  13. I also didn't know you had so many different species, including some that are quite rare (like capensis). I have to look for them the next time I visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I fully realized what I had either, Gerhard ;)

      Delete
    2. capensis when it comes from Mexico? Oops some botanist got confused.

      Delete
    3. Agave capensis is native to the southern tip of Baja California, which is referred to as Cape San Lucas, hence the epithet in this case.

      Delete
  14. I had an Ursinia ... must go and look for it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an Ursinia for a very brief period, Diana, so I didn't count it ;) It wasn't happy here.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.