Wednesday, March 8, 2023

It was just too much...

Yellow is one of my favorite colors, along with blue and green.  However, the large size, florescent yellow color, and sheer number of Aeonium arboreum flowers puts me on edge after awhile.  I look at my garden and can't see anything but those bright yellow flowers.  I told a neighbor it felt as though the triffids were on the march throughout the space.

These lined the back patio, interfering with the flow of traffic

These crowded up against the backyard Ceanothus hedge

They made an appearance in the cutting garden in front of the citrus trees

And they were all over the front garden

This was their most triffid-like setting.  Can you see the neighbor's cat in the background at the end of the path on the right?  Even he seemed wary (although he may just have been waiting for me to go away).

Another view of the "march" along the front garden


 

So I cut the vast majority of them down.  I set out about one and a half dozen stems for neighbors to pick up if they choose, tossing many that were past their prime into our green bin for pickup and recycling later this week.

These stems will last at least a week even without water and well over 2 weeks with it.  They need the support of a heavy vase as the stems themselves are heavy due to all the water in their hefty stems.


The last time I did this, they disappeared relatively quickly.  That didn't happen this year but two-thirds of the stems were gone within twenty-four hours.  I'll pick up whatever are left this morning and deposit them in the green bin.  I haven't rid the garden of all of them in any case.  Flowers are still in the process of developing and I left those alone for the time being.  And of course, I missed some.

Late yesterday afternoon, I realized that I'd missed one right outside our living room window in my south-side garden, as well as several sticking out into the street from under the front hedge.  Those will go in the green bin too.

 


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


15 comments:

  1. Gee, Kris. Now I can't get rid of the spooky image of triffids marching down the path...
    I find those bloom stocks rather festive, sunshine-on-a-stick, perfect on an overcast day. That may be because I can't grow Aeonium, and hardly see the sun for days on end :-D
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Skippy the cat survived his walk down triffid lane so they'd probably allow your passage too, were you to encounter them ;) The Aeonium flowers are alright in moderation for a month or so but their presence over months can become overwhelming. The flowers of Euphorbia rigida are close to the same color and I love them.

      Delete
  2. I see what you mean. They're lovely blooms, but I would probably reduce the numbers, too, and use them for bouquets and give some away, as you have. I'm glad you didn't get rid of the plants, though, because the foliage is great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never get rid of my Aeonium arboreum, Beth. I love the plants themselves and they're practically the backbone of my garden. I couldn't even begin to count the number of Aeoniums I have and, whenever, I have a space that's empty for a long time, it's likely to end up filled with Aeonium rosettes.

      Delete
  3. For some reason I've never liked these flowers. I think I'd cut them as soon as they appear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may sound very unlike me, Loree, but I don't care much for the flowers of most succulents. In my view, they tend to mar the sculptural qualities of the plants themselves. The size and bright color of the Aeonium arboreum flowers, combined with the dunce cap appearance of the flower stalks, grate on me more than those of other succulents, especially as they dominate the garden for months if permitted to remain.

      Delete
  4. I like the flower and the color but a little bit definitely goes a very long way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I could get those plants to contain their enthusiasm! Aeonium 'Kiwi' isn't prone to the same excessive displays.

      Delete
  5. Kris, I'm glad you included the link to triffids but I kind got the drift anyway! I love how you are in complete charge of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not at all sure I can be said to be in complete control of my garden, Susie, but thanks!

      Delete
  6. Oxalis rocks the same high school textbook (dating!) highlighter quality in my garden during these months. Luckily (?) the gophers get interested in it just about the time I feel I can't take it anymore, and it diminishes without effort on my part. The small joys of lazy gardening ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may be the first time I've heard a positive comment about a gopher! I'm glad to know that they can make a positive contribution of some kind ;)

      Delete
  7. Also not a fan. I cut most of them off. In certain spots the bees go for them, so I leave those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bees do love them! I had to shake them off to before bringing in the 3 stalks I cut for a vase weeks ago. Unfortunately, the ants like them too, which is more of hassle - I even hosed off the stems I left for neighbors before putting them out.

      Delete
  8. Needs must! One can have too much of a good thing. ;) Eliza

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.