Monday, March 6, 2023

In a Vase on Monday: Dodging raindrops

There was a good chance of rain yesterday morning, although it wasn't anything like the 85+ percent chance it normally takes for me to bank on it.  I got spit at but I managed to finish just before the rain came down.  While it was a strong shower, it was over in no time, delivering just 0.01/inch of rain; however. temperatures remained low (by own standards) all last week and we're not expecting to get above 60F (15C) for the next ten days so spring isn't exactly unfolding as quickly as I'd expected based on prior years. 

There isn't much new in the garden this week but what there was is plentiful.  I focused on Argyranthemum 'Aramis Bicolor Rose' because it was so floriferous.

I used my asymmetrical crystal glass vase with its prow-like front

Instead of a back view, I took photos of it from 2 sides

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Anemone coronaria 'Mount Everest', Argyranthemum 'Aramis Bicolor Rose', Crassula multicava 'Red', pink and white Freesia, and Hebe 'Wiri Blush'


The second arrangement is another case of throwing in everything but the kitchen sink.

The inspiration was Leucadendron 'Cloudbank Ginny' but those stems were almost lost within the rest of the flowers and foliage

I selected this as the back view but I think I like it better than the front view shown above

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: noID orange and yellow Calendulas, Echeveria agavoides, yellow Freesia, Leucadendron 'Cloudbank Ginny', noID Narcissus, Xylosma congestum, and Grevillea 'Superb'

There's no rain in the forecast until Friday at present but it appears that we're stuck with lower-than-normal temperatures for the time being.  Leucospermum 'Goldie' is getting ever-so-slowly closer to blooming but whether it'll show up next week remains to be seen.  The other Leucospermums are lagging well behind, as are most of the Anemones and all of the Dutch Iris and Scilla peruviana.

For more IAVOM creations, check in with Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.



All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

20 comments:

  1. What a lovely assortment of blooms in both your vases, Kris - you hve certainly kept the rest of supplied with brghtly coloured vases over our leaner season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd expected to be in the middle of full-on spring here by now, Cathy. That's generally the case but we seem to be stuck in a colder-than-usual weather pattern; however, I do know that our version of "cold" is warmer than most areas of the Northern Hemisphere ;)

      Delete
  2. I can smell those freesia! Oh wait, that's the grocery store bought hyacinth on my dining table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A single Hyacinth usually has more scent that a Freesia, Loree. You need both a good-sized bouquet of Freesia and a warm room to get enveloped by the scent of Freesias.

      Delete
  3. Ohh, I love the autumnal tones of the second one. Have you been growing the Argyranthemum for a long time? I just became aware of them recently. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've grown Argyranthemums for years now, Amelia. They're generally short-lived perennials here, lasting 2-3 years on average depending upon how hot our summers get and whether they get enough water. The featured bicolor variety is one I picked up last fall. It's bloomed lightly since then but exploded following the rain this month.

      Delete
  4. As always Kris I'm astounded by the sheer variety of flowers in your garden at this time of year. I like the intense deep pink of the hebe flower. How tall does the shrub grow? 60F sounds positively balmy to me 😂 Here we're predicted some wintry weather this week with the possibility of some heavy snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 60F and below = winter here, Anna ;) That Hebe is supposed to grow 3-4 feet tall and wide but mine runs more like 2 feet tall and wide, probably because I nip the stems back regularly to encourage new flowers.

      Delete
  5. Ah, lovely arrangements, Kris. I like your color combinations and marvel at your freesia and grevillea. Envious that you can grow them outside, forcing freesia here is a bust as they get so leggy. Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freesias can get leggy here too, Eliza, especially if they don't get as much sun as they'd like. Even under the best circumstances, they tend to do the "Freesia flop" and are therefore best planted where they can be supported by surrounding plants to prevent them from doing face planst into mud.

      Delete
  6. Both vases are a delight Kris! The pinks all mingle so well, and the orange and yellow arrangement is just what I needed - colours of spring! Having Freesias in both must be an added bonus - is their fragrance strong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really need a larger mass of Freesias in a warm space to fully enjoy their scent, Cathy.

      Delete
  7. I like your "not much new." It creates some amazing, colorful arrangements. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful variety of flowers. The kitchen sink would have been too much. ;^) I've been doing so much gardening have not been on the internet.

    Yesterday 70F here i think, walking around the garden Freesia perfume filled the air for the first time. That was a thrill. Now rain--I can catch up on garden blogs. No complaints about more rain, none at all.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.