Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Safety in numbers

For weeks now I've seen flocks of birds moving across the sky but I wasn't able to identify them.  Even after I filled the feeders, none of the birds in these flocks showed interest in visiting my garden.  They moved from tree to tree in large groups, clearly looking for something I wasn't providing.  On a few occasions, smaller groups of them stopped midway, resting in the tall pine tree on our neighbor's property.  I kept my camera fitted with a telephoto lens to grab photos of the tree and finally got lucky.

This was the best photo the telephoto lens could give me

The birds had red-orange breasts and were noticeably larger than our resident house finches.  An online search helped me to identify them as American robins (Turdus migratorious).  Although they're said to be year-round residents in the wilder areas of Los Angeles County, I can't remember seeing them here before now.

 

At the point I identified members of the flock as American robins, I still hadn't managed to get a decent photo of the flock in flight.  Keeping my camera ready, I tried again several days later and I got lucky again.

The flock was much looser than the dense swirling pattern called a murmuration but it was impressive nevertheless


 

I photographed a group of the birds in the tree, hoping for a clearer shot of an individual robin.  I was surprised when I enlarged the image.

These were cedar waxwings (Bombycilla cedrorum), a species I've caught bathing in our fountain in mass numbers in 2019 

However, a larger cropping of the photo showed 2 American robins in the tree as well.  Whether they join in the waxwings' flock or their joint presence at that particular moment was a coincidence, I can't say.

 

Both species of birds favor fruit and supplement their diet with insects so perhaps it shouldn't be surprising to see them mingling.  When our native toyon (Heteromeles arbutifolia), laden with berries during the winter months, died I expect the waxwings lost interest in our garden.  And I don't put out the fruit the robins might like as I expect the squirrels would get it first.  

I continued to attempt better photos of both birds but they eluded me.

I suspect this fellow kept both the robins and the waxwings away.  He spent a considerable amount of time in the pine tree yesterday afternoon, until 2 crows began harassing him and he finally flew off.  I just missed a shot of him in flight, followed by one persistent crow.

 

Late Monday afternoon, while I had my telephoto lens on hand, I caught a couple photos of the Los Angeles harbor during a pause between rainstorms.

There are more boats just outside the harbor again

This photo shows the Vincent Thomas Bridge (in green) that connects our peninsula to Long Beach.  The buildings in the distance, lit by the afternoon sun, are part of Long Beach.

 

I took advantage of the break in the rain we had yesterday to pull weeds, deadhead flowers, and dig out the ruby grass (Melinus nerviglumis) that I was unable to clean up to my satisfaction.  (It's already self-seeded so it should be back unless the rabbits get out of control.)  The rain that returned Tuesday night is expected to stop by mid-morning today.  At present, earlier forecasts of possible rain this coming weekend appear to be overstated.  But then our weather has been anything but predictable of late.


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

20 comments:

  1. How exciting to get waxwings ! I've only seen them once in all the years I've lived here-they were up on the edge of my roof drinking out of the plugged up rain gutter. Great views of the harbor too. As of yesterday we are a bit above season normal rainfall-rain has gone and the frost has returned. More rain expected for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I've seen waxwings since our huge Toyon died. As there are many other berry-laden Toyons in our neighborhood, maybe they returned in prior years but simply passed us by. Our season-to-date rainfall currently sits at 14.34 inches with is on track with LA's old average. The San Fernando Valley and foothill areas got significantly more.

      Delete
  2. That overly pruned pine offers better view of the birds that use it, both hunter and prey. Neither can efficiently hide from the other any longer, but at least it gives you an opportunity for nice bird-shots and identifying them.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I looked back at my 2019 photos of the cedar waxwings, they roosted in our old mimosa tree (Albizia), which was bare in winter, providing great photo opportunities. The still small ginkgo that replaced it when it died clearly isn't as appealing! I'd think that our Arbutus and Agonis trees might be a good place to rest awhile but I guess those aren't on their preferred flight path.

      Delete
  3. That's a lot of birds! We've had huge numbers of crows hanging out in the trees and on the powerlines in our neighborhood. They're pretty entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have crows and ravens around here too but, thankfully, they haven't chosen to roost in any of our trees en masse. I saw them doing so in another neighborhood nearby and what a mess they made! They visit us annually to pick pieces of the peppermint willows (Agonis) for their nests, which is fine even if they drop unwanted stems all over the place - I look at that as judicious pruning.

      Delete
  4. Lots of crows here yesterday. They were so noisy I wondered if they were after an owl or something. But never saw a target. We've only had Cedar Waxwings once years ago. But robins are pretty common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The robins may have visited before but, as they've been such a large presence in the neighborhood this year, I'm surprised I could have missed them in prior years. Crows - and ravens - are year-round residents here but my views of them are usually from a distance. It appears they're already in the process of building nests so my most common views of them at present are when they're chasing away hawks. They're fierce!

      Delete
  5. Irruptions of migratory birds seems to be common this winter. Availability of food and the weather I'm sure play a part. Glad you are getting some good winter rain lately. What are the totals to date compared to last year? Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During the last "water year" (October 1, 2021-September 30, 2022) we got just over 8 inches of rain within 12 months. The prior year was even worse, with a total of barely 4 inches. Since October, we've recorded 14.34 inches to date, which is very good especially as there's about a month left in our "rainy season." Other areas have gotten much more - the inland valley I grew up in got over 10 inches between last Thursday and Saturday alone.

      Delete
  6. We've had unusual numbers of robins in Prescott, Arizona this year, though their numbers dropped off lately. Perhaps they joined the crowd in your neighborhood. Cassin's finches have also settled in as never before. Thank you for the always interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my blog! Online sources indicate that the robins are year-round residents in Los Angeles County, although more commonly found in the outlying, wilder areas of the county. I can't recall seeing them here before but perhaps they've had to wander further looking for food sources.

      Delete
  7. Cool photos, especially that big group with the pine in the foreground. Perhaps because it's been relatively chilly they are hanging out at the immediate coast?

    Here both the robins and cedar waxwings will converge as a group on a berry-laden Toyon and strip it clean of fruit. Robins did so to the neighbor's Toyon that hangs over our fence.

    Great photos of the stormy sky, too. Clouds very dramatic.

    It graupeled here this afternoon. Soft hail. And it's 47F. In the daytime! Crazy, eh? But wonderful--rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got to accept precipitation in any form we can get it I guess, HB! The loss of the Toyon here had considerable impact on the flow of birds through the garden. I'm tempted to plant another one in the same area but, as the original shrub died of the pathogen that causes "sudden oak death", I'm afraid that would be setting myself up for failure.

      Delete
  8. Stunning photos--all of them! Cedar waxwings and robins are very common here. While they're with us year-round, we see large numbers (as you show) from spring through autumn. We should be seeing larger groups in the next few weeks. I've been thinking about you with all the weird weather out west.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather in my immediate area hasn't been bad, Beth. We're lucky. We had a bit of hail but it was blessedly brief so the damage was minimal. We got just over 3 inches of rain within the past week - in contrast, my brother who lives 50 miles to the north got more than 10 inches of rain within 3 days so experiences varied greatly across the state. My SIL further is currently snowed in and relying on a generator for power.

      Delete
  9. I bet it was enchanting to see all those birds flocking to your garden! I mostly see (and hear) crows around here, but they are fascinating too.
    It's so unusual to hear you talk about rainfall and snowcapped hills in the distance. I'm so glad your reservoirs got a boost this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither the cedar waxwings nor the robins actually visited my garden this time, at least that I know of - they were in the neighbor's tree and also visible in the neighborhood, looking for berries that I no longer have in the same abundance.

      My area is now considered "abnormally dry" rather than in a state of "moderate drought." I read yesterday that 17% of California is now considered drought-free and drought levels have dropped in other areas of the state but almost half is still considered to be at some level of drought. The aquifers are going to take years to restore in parts of the state, if we get levels of rain comparable to what we're getting this year within the next several years, which isn't all that likely.

      Delete
  10. That's a lot of waxwings! Last night, I was in a grocery store parking lot and was quite startled to hear a very loud blast of squeaking, chirping, and clicking coming from a tree just covered in what I assume were starlings, grackles, or blackbirds. Made my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun when they arrive en masse, no matter the avian species!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.