Monday, March 20, 2023

In a Vase on Monday: It's Spring!

Despite the fact that yet another atmospheric river is moving in after spitting at us on and off all day yesterday, spring has clearly taken over my garden.  Of course, I got carried away when it came to putting together this week's floral arrangements...


Vase #1

This arrangement was inspired by Scilla peruviana, which burst into bloom last week.  I added 2 stems of Leucadendron 'Goldie', which is only just starting to unfurl more than 3 weeks behind its schedule last year.

Back view:  I used more of the flowering Acacia 'Cousin Itt' this week as a foliage filler

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt', purple and yellow Freesia, Leucospermum 'Goldie', and Scilla peruviana

 

Vase #2

I cut a stem of Hippeastrum 'Apple Blossom' as it was crowding another newly emerging stalk.  I should note that it looks very little like any of the 'Apple Blossom' photos I've seen online (one of which you can see here) so I suspect it was misidentified by the seller.

The back view looks like an entirely different arrangement

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: white Freesia, Grevillea 'Superb', Hippeastrum 'Apple Blossom' imposter, and Xylosma congestum


Vase #3

This arrangement was inspired by the 'Lady Jane' species tulips, blooming for a 4th year in a row!

Back view: Unfortunately, I think Hippeastrum 'Neon' detracts from my intended focus on the tulips

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Alstroemeria 'Inca Vienna', Anemone coronaria 'Rarity', Coleonema album, Tulipa clusiana 'Lady Jane', and Hippeastrum 'Neon'


 

This week's rain is expected to be heaviest Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday through Sunday should be sunny, although still on the cool side.  I hope so as a friend and I are planning a trip up to Santa Barbara to visit our favorite nurseries next weekend, a visit we've put off several times since February.

 

For more IAVOM posts, check in with our host, Cathy at Rambling in the Garden


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

18 comments:

  1. When it comes to flowers and vases, there's no such thing as "carried away": if you got it, flaunt it!
    Seattle is behind on its March rain totals. Just another unexpected twist in an unusual weather season.
    All exuberant vases today. I don't remember seeing your 'Lady Jane' before; spectacular bloom.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that Seattle wasn't pummeled with rain too, Chavli! Maybe the atmospheric rivers that originated in the Hawaiian Islands didn't encompass the PNW. As to 'Lady Jane', this is her best year ever!

      Delete
  2. Scrumptious selection of flowers you have used this week, Kris. Your garden is a florist's envy. I'm drooling over the yellow leucospermum, scilla, freesia, grevillea... well, all of them! :D Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eliza. The combination of spring and lots of rain produced magic!

      Delete
  3. Mind you, florists in the US and UK would stock very different material, I imagine, but I am always astonsished at the range you have in your garden Kris. Love the blue and yellow, but your hippeastrum are great too. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. The garden is at its most floriferous at this time of year.

      Delete
  4. Oooh, pretty! Tulips, cool! The lines of the Leucospermum and the pattern on the vase throws the eyes into confusion, but in a good way.

    Enjoy the trip to SB. Green, green hills all the way there and back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That vase wasn't my first choice but the arrangement needed the support that gray-blue vase provided. I hope the trip to SB happens - Seaside is having a sale to celebrate 20 years of operation. However, the possibility that the coming rainstorm could bring flooding or mudslides remains a concern that we're monitoring.

      Delete
  5. Lovely colors today in all three vases. Your garden must really be enjoying the atmospheric rivers - the flowers are beautiful. Hope you make it to the nursery soon! Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The atmospheric rivers really do envelop the garden and deliver a more powerful punch of moisture than we get out of most rainstorms, Amelia. Not to regret the gift they've provided us this year, I still wish they'd spaced themselves out a bit more ;)

      Delete
  6. Ooh, so much to love Kris! That dear little pale pink anemone, the Scilla which looks completely unlike the ones I grow, the lovely Hippeastrums, and your Lady Jane tulip. Gorgeous! Seems all your rain has worked magic. Happy Spring Kris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain has been extraordinary, Cathy. Our current total for the season is 19.82 inches. After receiving more than an inch overnight into this morning, it looks as though we're getting a brief break before it restarts again this afternoon and continues virtually non-stop into early Thursday. If only we could avoid floods in some areas, I'd consider it miraculous.

      Delete
  7. Oh my those pinks are so incredible. And wow the purple and yellow vase is breathtaking. The vase is perfect with its texture especially against the Leucospermum 'Goldie'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Leucospermum's flower almost looks unreal, Donna. It even feels a little like plastic when you touch it. However, that doesn't stop the squirrels from eating the flowers once their nut-like centers ripen.

      Delete
  8. Oh how beautiful! I hope they are brightening up every room. Will you include your favorite Santa Barbara nurseries in a post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will tz, if we get there. Unfortunately, both Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties are prone to flooding and mudslides so we'll be checking on the status of the roads and our favorite nursery to ensure they're open before we go.

      Delete
  9. I know it's not a competition, but I always feel like I should vote for my favorite—in this case that would be #2. In #3 the Tulipa clusiana 'Lady Jane' confused me, I kept trying to make it into a magnolia bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The sight of any tulip in my garden briefly confuses me, Loree. I'm waiting to see if 'Cynthia', my other species tulip, pays me a return visit this year as well. 'Cynthia' tends to fashionably late.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.