Friday, August 26, 2022

Time out for succulents

A "time out" usually refers to a suspension of activity, either as punishment for a naughty child or a pause in athletic play.  In this case, it refers to short breaks from my caregiver activities to putter in the garden.  It being summer, a questionable time to do any planting here, my puttering was generally confined to work involving succulents.

Shortly after my husband's surgery, blogger friend Denise of A Growing Obsession contacted me to ask if I'd like some of the plantlets (aka bulbils) she'd harvested from a bloomed out Agave vilmoriniana 'Stained Glass' (variegated octopus agave) in her SoCal garden.  She offered to mail them to me but she ended up dropping them off as she prepared to leave town.  There were a LOT of them.

This bag alone contained on the order of 100 bulbils

She left me the stalk too, with more plantlets that hadn't yet been harvested

 

As I've no plans to open a nursery, I contacted  several local friends to see if I could pawn off any find someone to adopt a portion of them.  Two friends offered to take a "few" but another friend contacted a member of the local Cactus and Succulent Society to see if they were interested and, luckily, they were.

These are the plants I saved for myself and the 2 friends that asked for a few.  Not all will root but, of those that do, I'll probably save only 2-3 for myself as this agave gets very big.  I'll offer those that don't go to friends to my neighbors.  I haven't had a neighborhood giveaway in quite awhile so that'll be a good way to kick off the fall season.

This is what I offered to the representative from the Cactus & Succulent Society who graciously agreed to pick them up: 3 flats and the remaining unharvested bulbils.  I filled the flats with cactus soil mixed with what perlite I had on hand.  Each flat contained 36 tiny plants.

With the 'Stained Glass' Agaves sorted, at least for the time being, I took time to pull a large clump of dead Cerastium tomentosum (snow-in-summer), filling the empty spot with three Echeverias I'd purchased in late July.  The Cerastium spread but never bloomed and, even with cooler-than-usual summer temperatures, the foliage burned up.

The noID blue-toned clumping Echeverias (possibly E. imbricata) were purchased for another location but hopefully will be happy enough in this one

 

I also rescued a tiny agave that popped up under a clump of Aeoniums.

I removed an Agave colorata from the bed in which I found this small pup at least 2 years ago so the discovery was a surprise

By way of an update, the larger Agave colorata we dug out of our street-side succulent bed earlier this month when we discovered that the drip line underneath it had sprung a leak, has a new home.

I think it's a better spot for this Agave colorata than the 2 areas I'd mentioned as prospects in my earlier post.  Maybe the pup will end up here too once it grows larger.

I'd like to add more rock to the bed shown above but, as I need help picking it up from the local building and landscaping supply outlet, that'll have to wait.  My husband will be limited from lifting anything heavy for some time yet.  In addition to its purely aesthetic value, rock helps to retain moisture, limits evaporation, and modulates soil temperature so, under current circumstances, the more the better.

This little vignette shows just how happy succulents are snuggled in among rocks.  The plants here include Aeonium 'Lily Pad', Crassula orbicularis var rosularis, and noID Haworthia (possibly H. retusa).

I've done a little hand-watering, mostly of plants in pots and my cutting garden, as well as deadheading.  Although I'm itching to cut back a host of scruffy plants, I'm trying to hold off until our temperatures are consistently cooler.  October would be optimal but it remains to be seen if I can restrain myself that long.

Best wishes for a pleasant weekend.  I'll close with a new dahlia bloom to start the weekend off right.

The tuber that produced this flower was sold to me as Dahlia 'Akita', which it's definitely not.  Based on the flower's size, the petal shape, and the proportion of white versus red color, my best guess is that it's 'Duet' or maybe 'Rebecca's World' but then dahlias can mutate quite a lot as they mature.

 

All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

 

 




20 comments:

  1. Brava! It's so great that you are donating all those Agave vilmoriniana. The flats and planted starts look so professionally done, one may suspect you have a nursery in the back garden!
    Once Agave colorata recovers from its 'almost drowning' ordeal, it will look fabulous in it's new location.
    chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Succulent nursery stock would probably be much less depressing to look at than the bare spots in my garden, Chavli ;)

      Delete
  2. Can you imagine a mass planting of 'Stained Glass'? You did a wonderful job with the bulbils -- thanks again for saving them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grounds of Newport Beach Civic Center might be able to support a mass planting of 'Stained Glass' Agaves but not my garden, Denise. Once the babies have gained some girth, I suppose I could plant 2-3 up in the "community garden" at the entrance to our neighborhood, though. And, on behalf of the local C&SS, thanks for the donation!

      Delete
  3. Your Dahlia is a vivid and glorious beauty with its striking pair of colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful dahlia, even if I remain a bit miffed that it's not the one I ordered. As it was, they came in a pack of 2 clumps but one was so badly damaged in shipping or just as the result of end-of-season handling, it didn't sprout at all.

      Delete
  4. So glad you got a time out (hope your husband is doing better!) and that Denise’s and your generosity will make so many more gardeners happy. I love that!
    Anna K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the hands of succulent experts, this round-up of agave bulbils might flood the local market with 'Stained Glass' specimens, a variety not found all that often around here ;)

      Delete
  5. Dahlia looks very similar to the 'Catching Fire' I got this year. 'Duet' is more purple-y than red.

    I got about 150 of 'Stained Glass' plantlets when K's plant bloomed. They nearly all rooted and most all kept their variegation and wow, what was I going to do with all of them? Gerhard finally took them to donate to his CSS club. Whew! I still have about a dozen. Excellent you were able to find an organization to take them!

    Hope your husband continues to improve and feel better. A cool weekend to relish, before more heat next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! 'Catching Fire' was the other possibility I couldn't bring to mind when I was trying to pinpoint the new dahlia. I checked the seller's online tuber listings and they didn't identify either that variety or 'Duet' among their offerings but they sell some mixes that might have been the source of my tuber.

      I was originally going to keep a flat of the 'Stained Glass' bulbils in addition 20 I'd potted up but, as I thought about juggling that many tiny plants for the period it'll take for them to become sizable enough to plant out, I started to feel overwhelmed. I'm glad the local C&SS was happy to take possession!

      Delete
  6. Glad to see that all those agaves found happy homes. Well done with your potting up efforts. Nice to know that many gardens and gardeners will benefit.
    Most agaves (even varieties that would be considered relatively common) are very hard to find here. When at my local botanic garden a few months ago, I happened to see a couple of bloomed out spikes with bulbils (A. vilmoriniana and A. gypsophylla). There were hundreds of them dropping all over a lawn that was about to be mown, with no one making any effort to collect them, so I figured they wouldn’t miss a couple 🙃
    Your haworthias look right at home in your rock garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be imagining things, Horticat, but I've found it increasingly difficult to find many agaves here too during the last 5 years, especially in small-medium sizes that don't have ridiculous price tags. I wish I could send you some 'Stained Glass' bulbils but I don't think they'd handle shipping overseas well, even if the US and Australia would permit it ;)

      I purchased that Haworthia on a whim but I'm a little in love with it now. I picked up 3 more plants in small pots yesterday...

      Delete
  7. Hope your husband has a speedy recovery. Funny how you noticed your dahlia tuber is something other than what you purchased. I saved multiple tubers from a dwarf red variety and replanted them in my red themed containers this year. All but one are blooming in a lavender shade. Not the look I was after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's weird, Elaine. I've heard many stories of receiving dahlia tubers other than those that were ordered but it's the first time it's happened to me. I did have one dahlia pop up in a pot planted with other variety this year - it may have been a hitchhiker but my guess is that I didn't quite remove all the tubers from the pot when I used it last year.

      Delete
  8. I do love reading about agave bulbils being saved and passed along, well done! Also, that vignette of Aeonium 'Lily Pad', Crassula orbicularis var rosularis, and noID Haworthia is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy with that Haworthia, which I'm guessing is H. retusa, that I bought 3 more tiny plants this past week. It makes a very nice groundcover when tucked in among rocks.

      Delete
  9. This post made me laugh, because Hoover Boo (Piece of Eden) gave me a tray of Agave vilmoriniana 'Stained Glass' bulbils last month! I gave away about 30 and kept about 20. I will donate them to the Sacramento Cactus & Succulent Society, minus the 2 or 3 prettiest ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be a good year for 'Stained Glass' - or a bad one, depending on how you react to agave bloom stalks. I can imagine planting no more than 2 in my garden, with another 3 going into the "community garden" at the entrance to our neighborhood. I'll put all the rest out for neighbors to take, although my experience is that most aren't usually attracted to the smaller plants (even if they get really big in time). I can't imagine holding onto all of them for much more than 6 months due to space constraints but maybe I can get my husband to build me a shelving unit on the back slope...

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.