Monday, February 28, 2022

In a Vase on Monday: Blue and yellow

Blue and yellow flowers were the natural choice for an arrangement this week.  It's a small way to signify support for the Ukrainian people in light of the aggressive, unprovoked actions taken by a malicious foreign dictator intent on reconstructing his country's former empire rather than focusing on addressing the economic performance issues within his country's current boundaries, which despite its vast natural resources has a significantly lower GDP than my home state of California.  I have vivid recollections of my mother's heated views of that country's treatment of Finland, her parents' homeland.  The history of the Winter War, fought by the Finns when the Soviet Union invaded their country in 1939, suggests parallels to the current conflict in Ukraine.  Russia's leaders appear to be following a similar playbook and I can only hope this latest invasion of Ukraine ends as quickly as the Winter War did - with an equivalent hit to the invading country's international reputation.  My mother always said the Finns fought against incredible odds because they had sisu.  From what I've seen and heard of the current conflict, Ukrainians have sisu too.

I sacrificed the first of my Iris hollandica blooms to this arrangement, as well as two of the first open flowers of Leucospermum 'Goldie'

Back view: The flowers of Aristea inaequalis lend height to the arrangement, although the flowers close as light wanes

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Anemone coronaria, Aristea inaequalis, noID Ceanothus, Freesia, Iris hollandica 'Sapphire Beauty', and Leucospermum 'Goldie'

As it's spring here, regardless of what the calendar says, I have a second arrangement too.

The Freesias, which are hitting their stride, inspired this arrangement, although they ended up in the background when I cut a stem of Helleborus 'Blue Lady'

Back view: The white Freesias, discovered in an area in which I don't remember planting any bulbs, have a faint lavender-pink tinge

Top view: The Scilla peruviana (aka Portuguese squill) was cut for the first arrangement but its short stem left it eclipsed by the taller flowers there so I moved it to this arrangement

Clockwise from the upper left: Freesias in blue and blush colors, Helleborus 'Blue Lady', Prostanthera ovalifolia 'Variegata', Scabiosa columbaria 'Flutter Deep Blue', Scilla peruviana, and Osteospermum '4D Silver'

For more IAVOM posts, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.


All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

22 comments:

  1. A nice gesture to the people of Ukraine; sisu indeed.
    I love that close-up of Scilla peruviana... almost wish it didn't open further: that is one awesome bud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scilla peruviana is pretty magnificent in full bloom too when all its varied colors are more clearly revealed. I hesitated to cut any of the buds for that reason but there are at least a dozen more and this week's warmer weather is likely to have all of them opening at once.

      Delete
  2. The yellow and blue flowers go so well together, it's a striking arrangement. Yes, the worlds gone crazy but as in most cases there are two sides to the medal and mainstream media are lying as usual. We're governed by lunatics. Keep your chin up, Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The statement "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely," attributed to the nineteenth century English historian Lord Acton, is ringing loud in my mind right now, Annette. I believe in firm term limits for all world leaders.

      Delete
  3. I appreciate your blue and yellow combinations today Kris with standout choices of flowers. It is a grave time for the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's impossible to remain silent now, Susie. Hopefully, Ukraine - and the rest of the world - will get beyond this crisis sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  4. What a thoughtful tribute to Ukraine, Kris, and thanks for the information about the Winter War too. Lovely choices in both vases - but how long does your osteospermum flower for? It seems to be permanently in bloom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Osteospermums are short-lived perennials here, Cathy. They generally bloom mostly during our cooler season. Summer's high temperatures will abruptly shut down flower production but the plants will bloom again beginning in late fall when those temperatures drop, provided that the plants receive some water throughout our long, dry season. The single-petaled varieties self-seed freely and I've been pleased to find that some of the newer double-petaled varieties (part of the "4D" series) will do that as well.

      Delete
  5. I was just mentioning how I love blue and yellow for spring...and upon seeing both your vases I am rendered so happy and full of spring even with winter still in full force here....thanks for the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring will reach you, Donna! It just gets an earlier start here.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful support for the Ukraine! I love all your blue flowers especially the Freesia and Hellebore..spring is here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blue and yellow arrangement is a most thoughtful gesture Kris highlighting such a distressing and deeply worrying turn of events. I was most interested to hear you recall your mother's recollections of what happened to her home country. Have you visited Finland? I would like to say spring is here but it's a case of almost but not quite yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother was born in the US but her parents immigrated from Finland as teenagers - my grandmother arriving alone to join an aunt. My mother visited the country but I've yet to make it there. I haven't made it to Sweden yet either, which is the homeland of my father's parents. One day I hope to get to both countries. In the meantime, I'm hoping both countries join NATO!

      Delete
  8. Lovely pair, Kris! The L. 'Goldie' are so striking and having a garden full of freesias is like a dream to me. Hope your weather has a few sprinkles in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At some point since Friday, the weather forecast has shifted, giving us a chance of rain later this week, although both the probability and timing projections vary significantly between the 2 weather services I follow; however, the probability doesn't exceed 30% in either case. But, as hope never fades, I'm hopeful.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful! Sisu, a perfect word to describe the Ukraine people's spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sisu! You certainly display that, Kris.

    Beautiful arrangements, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always love to see your Osteospermums and Anemones, and the Aristea caught my eye today too. Such a pretty delicate flower, it looks like it should be an aromatic herb, like salvia or rosemary. I must look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the Aristea has a scent, Cathy, I'm unable to detect it but it's a nice plant in any case. It's a South African native related to Iris.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.