|Wide shot taken from across the street|
|Side view of the border looking south|
I've added some larger plants, mostly various types of Agave, but I've filled in with smaller succulents, including cuttings, so the border still looks sparser than I'd like. It's easier to view in segments.
|Close-up of one Agave 'Blue Glow'|
|The next section is dominated by an Agave desmettiana 'Variegata' but there's also a Dyckia, Senecio cuttings, and a variety of Graptoveria and Graptosedum|
|Close-up of Graptosedum 'California Sunset' (left) and Graptoveria 'Fred Ives' (right)|
|The centerpiece of this section is Agave Impressa, which is surrounded by Dudleya and more Graptoveria|
|Close-up of Agave Impressa, which got a bit of sunburn during the height of summer|
|I'm happiest with this section, which contains, among other things, another Agave desmettiana 'Variegata,' 2 varieties of Kalanchoe, Euphorbia tiriucalli, and various types of Aeonium|
|The same section, viewed from the side|
|Close-up of Kalanchoe marmorata|
|Close-up of Kalanchoe thyrsiflora|
|This last section contains a variety of Aloes, another Agave 'Blue Flame,' Senecio amaniensis, 3 unidentified Sansevieria, and Graptopetalum|
|Close-up of Senecio amaniensis with a couple of bloom spikes|
|Close-up of an Agave pup given me by Lynda - she thinks it's A. pygmae|
A few things are bugging me about this border. First, the plants are more of a hodge-podge than I'd like but that's what comes of trying to make do with cuttings on hand. Succulents, even small ones, can be pricey. Second, I haven't managed to hide the drip irrigation lines. I'm trying to decide whether to cover them with cactus mix, add more groundcover materials or stone, or simply wait for the plants to get larger. Third, the Pittosporum hedge with which the succulents share space presents a problem. The hedge material was in horrible shape when we moved in and, after experimenting with cutting back a couple of the shrubs last year, I hacked them all back severely in January. They've yet to recover and I'm toying with the idea of removing all or part of them. But that's a big job so I'm going to wait and see if our rainy season gives them a boost. The shrubs, which I think are Pittosporum rhombifolia (now classified as Auranticarpa rhombifolia), also tend to become chlorotic if not regularly treated. On the other hand, no hedge or a see-through hedge exposes the area beyond to view from the street and I'm not sure I like that. I've dabbled with that area now and then but it hasn't received a lot of attention and it's something of a mess. However, I've slowly been adding succulents there too, so it may eventually become a logical extension of the street-side border.
|View of area behind the street-side succulent border|
|I've added cuttings of Aeoniums (in plentiful supply), Crassula 'Campfire,' and Senecio here|
|Close-up of Crassula 'Campfire'|
It's coming together, albeit more slowly than I'd like. Patience isn't one of my virtues.
All material © 2012-2014 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party