Friday, January 5, 2024

Wide Shots - January 2024

Virtually all my blog posts are focused on gardens and the practice of gardening.  While I frequently photograph and write about public gardens, plant nurseries, and private gardens belonging to other people, a large percentage address my own garden; however, those posts rarely place the scenes I photograph within the context of the overall space.  My quarterly wide shot posts are designed to show how the various areas relate to one another.  They also capture the entire garden at regular points in time, which allows me to track its development and evolution from year to year.  I've been surprised by how often I check my wide shots when trying to figure out what happened and when.

I'll start out as usual with the view from the back door and proceed clockwise around the house.

View looking in the direction of the Los Angeles harbor on a partially cloudy morning.  In early September I replaced the woody Echium webbii that stood to the upper left of the fountain with a 4-inch pot of the same plant.  It's already about a foot tall and wide but I'm not expecting blooms this spring.

View from from the back patio looking north.  I miss the mass of Aeoniums I had lining the patio's edge on the left but the groundcover plants I put in there in September are slowly filling out.  I think I may need more, though.

View from the north end of the back garden looking toward the patio.  The succulents here have filled in nicely.

View from the back patio looking south,  There are bare spots here and there in these borders at the moment.  I've hard pruned one of the bush violets already, with another to go.  The Helichrysum 'Icicles' shrubs (foreground), planted in 2017, are declining and need replacing.

View from the south end of the back garden looking toward the back patio.  Solar-powered sonic gopher deterrents can be seen on the right and bottle-fed terracotta self-watering stakes are set up on the left to give new plants an extra boost as they get established.


With a pivot to the left, we're looking at the south-side garden.

View of the south-side garden looking west.  The largest 'Blue Glow' Agave (foreground, left) shows no sign of dying back since its bloom stalk was cut down.  The yellow-flowered Leucospermum 'High Gold' on the right already has buds.

View from the south-side patio looking south.  I've trimmed back some of the Cistus shrubs on the right but additional work is needed.  The Graptoveria 'Fred Ives' I recently beheaded await replanting at their base.

View of the south-side garden looking east.  The insect-damaged Agonis flexuosa 'Nana' shrubs on the left need a hard pruning, followed by an application of Neem oil.


With a quarter turn to the right, we head to the lower level of the front garden.

Path leading down to the lower level of the front garden.  I pulled out shaggy Limonium perezii and added pups of Aloe striata x maculata to the bed on the right.

View of the lower level garden area occupied by my lath (shade) house.  I removed most of the shade-cloth screens as I usually do during our cool season but it's been colder and windier than usual and some of the Begonias have protested by dropping their leaves.  I'm hoping they'll recover. 

View of the lower level garden looking north.  I replaced some smaller succulents with cuttings after they were damaged during our annual tree trimming exercise.

View of the same area looking east.  At some point I need to behead the overgrown Aeonium arboreum rosettes and replant.

If you turn left from the point shown in the last photo, there's a dirt path that leads to the front driveway but you have to squeeze around two trees and the hedge facing the street to reach it.  I rarely take anyone that way.  It's easiest to go back the way we came through the lower level garden to the front garden's main level.

View of the front garden from the south end looking north.  I recently cut all the Cuphea 'Vermillionaire' shrubs back hard, hence the bare spots in the foreground.

View from the edge of the Magnolia tree looking south.  You can see the Freesia foliage is already up on the right.  The large Leucadendrons in the background on the right need trimming, as does the hefty Leucadendron 'Wilson's Wonder' on the left.  I hung a sign on the latter asking the gardeners not to touch it.  I'll prune once the plant's winter "flowers" are done.

View from the front door looking southwest.  The coleus (foreground, right) and Hibiscus acetosella (background, right) are still going strong despite the colder-than-usual temperatures.

View from the driveway looking at the front door.  I planted my new Protea 'Claire' in the bed on the right but it's not readily visible behind the lavender shrub at the moment.  Healthy though it is, I think I'm going to take out the chartreuse Coleonema 'Sunset Gold' on the left.  It's too big for that spot and the gardeners keep cutting it into an awkward rectangular shape.

View of the path I described earlier that runs from the driveway entrance to the lower level garden where the lath house sits.  The path is currently carpeted with moss.

This is a view of the area between that path and the brick path to the front door.  The Grevillea 'Peaches & Cream' (background, right) was in bad shape several months ago but seems to have recovered.  I initially blamed gophers but we later discovered that the irrigation system in the area had broken down.

View of the bed to the left of the front door.  The Hong Kong orchid tree (Bauhinia x blakeana) has rebounded with the rain and cooler temperatures, although all the tree's flowers are unavailable for cutting (unless I get out a ladder).  

One of my favorite views of the front garden, photographed from the north end of the house looking southwest across the beds that hug the house

View of the north end of the house I rarely show because it's usually hidden behind my husband's truck.  I put another sign on the Leucadendron 'Wilson's Wonder' shown here to the left of the chimney to keep the gardeners away.  It admittedly needs pruning but I want to use the plant's daisy-like flower bracts for cutting while I can.


Before we head around the corner of the house, I'll take you on a tour of the area on the other side of the driveway.

View from the driveway looking northwest.  This area alongside the garage was mostly lawn when we moved in 13 years ago.  It's never entirely come together but tree and hedge roots present a challenge.  This fall, I removed the roses that edged the walkway by the trash and recycle bins as the area was too dry and shady for them to thrive.  I'm now trying out various groundcovers.

This succulent bed has struggled too.  Last year, I decided I was going to renovate it and I've let it go since.  It's my #1 focus for the first quarter of this year once I've taken care of my winter pruning tasks.  I'm also considering removing at least one of the 3 aged Abelia grandiflora on the far left.

View from the trash can path adjacent to the street looking east.  I tried out another Japanese maple (foreground, next to Lomandra 'Platinum Beauty') but, despite good protection from the wind and sun behind the hedge, it hasn't done well and I'll probably pull it.


On the other side of the garage is my cutting garden.

My cool season cutting garden always seems slower to kick off than I'd like but this week I've seen the first Anemone coronaria bloom and the first foxglove flower stalks.  I've also owned up to the fact that I have to reduce the size of the masses of Aeonium arboreum growing at the base of the citrus trees as the path between them and the raised planters is now very narrow.


Only two stops remain.

View of the north-side garden looking northeast.  The gravel path leads to the back slope.  This area requires a few cleanups, most notably pruning the giant Leucadendron 'Chief' and clearing the ivy growing up through the hedge (not visible here).

View looking down the back slope from the top of the concrete block stairway.  I finally pruned back the Centranthus ruber and dead artichoke stalks but there are a lot of weeds that need pulling.  The good news is that the lemon tree is once again loaded with fruit.  The bad news is that the peach tree that came with the house isn't in good shape and warrants removal.

View from the bottom of the slope looking up.  I cut back the woody Echium webii that blocked the path along the hedge on the right last spring but never got around to digging it out.  I've given up on the idea of pulling out the ivy covering the steep upper slope, limiting myself to just weeding it as best I can.


That's the end of this quarter's spin around the garden.  As I've already shown a shot of the street-side succulent bed in Wednesday's post, I won't repeat it here.  There's still a lot of cleanup work to do in many areas of the garden so it's time to get back to work.



All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


22 comments:

  1. I love the wide shots and never tire of looking at your garden. Do you prune the arbutus (in the second photo) to keep it more narrow or did the limbs naturally go upward? Mine wants to go horizontal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have all 4 of our Arbutus 'Marina' trimmed every year, specifically to open up the interior canopy to air. The trees otherwise get very dense and are prone to mildew. With last year's heavier-than-usual rain, they were particularly dense with leaves.

      Delete
  2. I love these wide shots, helps me to picture your garden as a whole. I really don't see the bare spots, everything is so lush & healthy. Truly a beautiful garden. Your constant tending is very apparent, and your artistic eye- just so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy. Wide shots provide a sense of the garden's structure but they do hide a lot of bare spots ;)

      Delete
  3. Every blog post you share, Kris, is stunning and inspirational. And your garden is amazing! Southern California is special, that's for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that SoCal has its attractions, Beth. If only regular rainfall was one of them - and earthquakes and wildfires weren't!

      Delete
  4. You have such an amazing line of sight with your wide shots Kris. Your garden is like a plant Disneyland to me, all the plants that would never survive here in my garden absolutely love YOU ! .. You should really check in to buying this Nikon Coolpix P950 .. on a clear night you would capture amazing moon and star shots .. let alone being able to zone in on the lower country side. I think you would have a blast !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect that my climate is close to a polar opposite of yours, CGJ. I've had a terrible time photographing the moon but that may not be entirely attributable to the camera - the combination of city and harbor lights makes nighttime shots very difficult here.

      Delete
  5. The pivot to the left showing the south-side garden made my jaw dropped: the 'river' of 'Blue Glow' Agave (and maybe some others) is stunning. Very impressive!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chavli. The "river" is made up of both 'Blue Glow' and 'Blue Flame' Agaves. There are a few other species mixed into that bed but they're fewer in number, smaller and visible at only certain angles.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed the virtual walk around your garden, Kris. Did you transplant the roses that weren't doing well in the shade? I also wondered as I read through the commentary whether you preserve any fruit when you get a good crop, such as your lemons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Jo! No, I didn't transplant those roses. Frankly, they weren't in good shape as I'd neglected them after deciding they weren't worth the water they required to be happy. I still have about half a dozen in other locations, most of which came with the garden like the ones I pulled. They're not abundant bloomers but I'll hang onto them as long as they manage to get by under the same conditions as the plants surrounding them.

      I've got 4 citrus trees, 2 persimmons, and one guava tree (not counting the peach tree on the back slope that's never produced fruit). I've never preserved the fruit of any but I generally give away whatever excess we have to friends and neighbors - and the critters take quite a lot too.

      Delete
  7. What a lot of work these posts must be, but oh so valuable. That first south-side garden photo looks like the cover of a book that I would love to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too bad I don't have more chapters of the same caliber to share, Loree ;)

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing your wonderful garden with us. I could spend ages wondering around, I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be welcome to do that if your travels ever bring you to this part of the world, Nikki.

      Delete
  9. I love your wide views. They give a really good comprehensive picture of your LARGE garden. Everything looks fantastic, especially considering this is the dead of winter - ostensibly the worst time of year for any garden.

    Helichrysum 'Icicles': I agree, their useful life is limit. They get so woody over time. I removed a couple of in the last two years.

    Agave 'Blue Glow': very interesting to read that the rosette that had flowered continues to live on. Maybe it isn't monocarpic after all, at least not always?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider late summer the worst time in my garden, Gerhard, although January may be the most colorless in terms of flowers.

      When I posted about the "second life" of my Agave 'Blue Glow' on Instagram (as well as my neighbor's similar experience) David Feix commented that some hybrids do funny things. The first bloom stalk produced only a dozen bulbils. I kept 6 but only one looks really good thus far. It'll be interesting to see if it repeats the behavior of its parent but of course I probably won't know that for a long time...

      Delete
  10. I always enjoy your wide shot posts, Kris. I like seeing how your garden is maturing over the years, as things fill out and change. The shrubs have grown so big! It all has great flow to it, you've done a wonderful job. My favorite (as always) is the blue agave walkway, and the north-side garden looking northeast is looking fine, too. Beautiful work! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eliza. I just worked out my list of projects (so far) for 2024 ;)

      Delete
  11. These really help put things into context. So many beautiful garden scenes to look at. I should do a similar type of post some day, but oh, the planning that would need to go into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take time, although I've got it down to something of a science now. Starting with one area of main concern could be a more time-sensitive alternative.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.