Wednesday, January 24, 2024

More foliage highlights

Last week I assembled photos for a foliage post but I ended up appending those featuring succulents to a post primarily focused on my north side garden.  As I've been house-bound due to rainy weather recently, I thought I'd go ahead and share the other foliage photos I collected.  As it stands, the ground's too soggy to do much work in the garden right now.

I grow this Ageratum corymbosum for its purple and green foliage as much as for the lavender flowers that appear in early spring

The lower leaves of Begonia luxurians didn't appreciated the windy and dry conditions we had in December and early January but the upper leaves still show why it's called the palm leaf begonia

Beschorneria yuccoides 'Flamingo Glow', planted in March 2022, hasn't done much but I haven't given up on it.  To be fair, the nearby Grevillea lanigera 'Mt Tamboritha'  almost swallowed it up at one point.

Only a couple of Coprosmas have done really well in my garden.  Coprosma 'Evening Glow' is one of them, shown here playing nicely off Phormium 'Maori Queen'.

Coprosma repens 'Plum Hussey' grows much taller than 'Evening Glow'.  My only complaint is that, as it gets taller, it develops bare legs (partially hidden in this case by Aeoniums at its base).

Drimia maritima didn't produce any blooms last year and I was afraid critters might have damaged the bulbs but the foliage of all 5 bulbs is up this year.  There are signs of scratches and nibbling on the foliage, though.  I'm tempted to relocate one or more bulbs to the upper level of the garden to see if they fare better there.

This is a Ginkgo tree across the street in a neighbor's front yard.  My Ginkgo's leaves turned crispy brown and fell in late summer but I'm hopeful that, as my tree matures, it'll shed pools of yellow leaves like this too.

I cut Melianthus major to the ground every fall but it reliably springs back, bearing its lovely serrated leaves

Given how dry it's been overall this winter, I'm amazed by how much moss we have.  These photos of the back slope were taken before the 2 recent rainstorms.  There's more in the upper level of the garden and between paving stones too. 

This is the bromeliad Nidularium wittrockia leopardinum, one of my favorites even though its leaf edges are vicious

One of my favorite Peperomias, P. angulata 'Funky Frog'  (Who comes up with these names?)

I picked up this small coleus (Plectranthus scutellarioides 'Flamethrower Chili Pepper') in early fall in the interest of seeing how it'd do in this bed.  I only bought one plant as I thought cooler temperatures might quickly kill it off but it's made a great little groundcover, nicely complementing Aeonium 'Mardi Gras'.

This coleus (Plectranthus scutellarioides 'Limewire') is out of control but unbothered by the colder weather.  Protection from wind and sun seems to be the key in keeping coleus alive over the winter months here.  I cut it back after taking this shot to reveal more of Fuchsia 'Voodoo'.

Someday Protea 'Pink Ice' will produce flowers but, even without them, the shrub makes a statement

I think Santolina virens 'Lemon Fizz' should be called "Lime Fizz".  My Santolinas have gotten scruffy in the past after a couple of years but I followed published guidance and gave these a haircut in the fall with great results.

This Trachelospermum is one of many that came with the garden.  I'd assumed it was T. jasminoides but a reader commented that the red color displayed by these suggest it's T. asiaticum.


Prior to last Saturday, our rain total for the water year-to-date (calculated from October 1st) was 3.01 inches.  With the two storms that passed through Saturday and Monday it reached 5.38 inches.  That's not great by comparison to last year's numbers but maybe there's at least a chance of getting something like "normal" rainfall here this year.  "Normal" rainfall would mean getting at least another nine inches by early April and the current pace of our rainstorms makes that goal somewhat questionable.



All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


20 comments:

  1. I chuckled a tiny bit when you mentioned your garden is too soggy to work in. It is all relative, I suppose.
    Although I don't grow Melianthus major, I've always loved its serrated leaves, supposedly smelling of honey when rubbed.
    I like the combination of Trachelospermum and Pittosporum; do either bloom for you?
    Beschorneria yuccoides 'Flamingo Glow' is a beauty. Good thing you saved from the Grevillea jaws, giving the poor thing a chance to shine.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both the Trachelospermum and the Pittosporum came with the garden so I can't take any credit for the combination, Chavli. While the Trachelospermum grown as a vine (probably T. jasminoides) blooms routinely, I can't recall seeing flowers on those with reddish winter foliage grown as groundcovers, which I think are T. asiaticum.

      Delete
  2. You've done better on rain--my gauge is only 4.4" for the rain-year. Another chance around 2/1 is forecast.

    That Plectranthus sure are interesting. Burgundy accents are useful with all kinds of greens and silvers. No wonder the Nidularium is a favorite, what cool markings it has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to find that 'Flamethrower Chili Pepper' again when warmer weather returns, HB. I think it'll be great as a groundcover along the semi-shady bed running along the path to the front door. It seems to get by just fine with the 2x weekly irrigation runs, although it hasn't been tested at the height of summer yet. Meanwhile, every coleus I've put in that barrel has gotten huge on just a single drip line.

      Delete
  3. I'll never forget seeing Begonia luxurians grown outdoors, in the ground, during the San Francisco Fling, it was huge and so beautiful. Nothing like the sad version I had in a container. That Nidularium wittrockia leopardinum is a looker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Begonia luxurians wasn't happy inside my lath house but did much better outside it in a shaded area; however, it doesn't like our dry winds and protecting it from those in a challenge. It'd be interesting to try it in the ground but avoiding high winds isn't easy here.

      Delete
  4. my ginkgo did the same thing from drought in northern Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neighbor's Ginkgo was in place years before either we or they moved in so I expect it's much more well-established than mine, which has been in place only 3 years or thereabouts. They also water a LOT more than I do. Still, I hope mine will catch up eventually. At present, it looks okay - until late summer :(

      Delete
  5. Gingkos are beautiful aren't they? All the beautiful, colorful foliage you have! I have quite a selection of foliage plants in my sunroom, so this is a good reminder to join in the foliage sharing--even in winter. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea of a sun room sounds very nice to me, even if we aren't half as cold as you are, Beth. We've been short on sunlight during the past week but temperatures in the 70s are expected this coming weekend!

      Delete
  6. The Begonia luxurians is really great. I'm betting everything is responding well to that nice showering you got! Gingkos are truly stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still anxious to see some real fall (or winter) color from my own Ginkgo tree. I have to remind myself it's still very young ;)

      Delete
  7. Begonia luxurians, that is one plant that has frustrated me my whole life. I simply cannot keep it alive...

    But the standout plant for me is Nidularium wittrockia. W.O.W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Begonia luxurians wants protection from wind and strong sun. I haven't found the perfect spot for it either.

      Delete
  8. I received the Peperomia angulata a few years ago as a birthday present, but not with that cultivar name. It came with its rootball embedded in sphagnum moss attached to a wood plaque with string (can't remember the special term for that), but that was way to difficult to keep watered. Happily growing in a normal pot now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a beautiful variety of texture, shape and colorful foliage in your garden, Kris. The palm leaf begonia is extraordinary! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eliza. I wish I had a better way of protecting that begonia from wind damage.

      Delete
  10. I thought I had commented on this post, but I haven't yet ... I've had computer issues this week, so I must have read this on my iPad, then not been able to add a comment! I particularly remember seeing the Coleus, and thinking I really should try growing some in my garden. Yours look so lovely with such pretty leaves.
    There are a few posts I've missed, so I will catch up on more this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking in, Jo! Those computer issues can be a real drag.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.