Friday, January 26, 2024

The bird feeder

I have three bird feeders outside my home office window.  I left them empty during the summer and early fall months until temperatures fell.  In January, the white-crowned sparrows arrived and activity at the feeders picked up.  As the birds tend to fly away as soon as I go out the back door, I used a telephoto lens to capture photos from inside with mixed results.

This is the best wide shot I could get that wasn't blurred by sun glare or fog


The white-crowned sparrows (Zonotrichia leucophrys) live in parts of the western US year-round but they're not generally seen in my area until the winter months.  Unlike many of the birds here, these sparrows know how to strike a pose.

According to TheCornellLab the oldest verified age of a white-crowned sparrow was at least 13 years and 4 months


Apparently, they'll share their territories with some birds but are known to drive others away, including Dark-eyed Juncos.  I noticed Juncos hopping about for awhile but they've been noticeably absent of late.  However, it doesn't seem that the sparrows have any issues with finches.

Based on casual observations, house finches (Haemorphous mexicanus) are the most common (or at least the most visible) of the small birds here

According to Cornell, male house finches get their red color during the molting period from pigment in their food.  The more pigment, the redder their plumage.

Female house finch sharing a feeder with a white-crowned sparrow

This is the best shot I got of a lesser goldfinch (Spinus psaltria), which is also a very common year-round resident.  Lesser goldfinch males in the far west have green backs, unlike those further east (source: Cornell).


About two years ago, I noticed another kind of finch hanging around.  I know it by the common name of spice finch (Lonchura punctulata) but it's also known as nutmeg mannikin, ricebird, and scaly-breasted munia.  Native to tropical areas of Asia, they spread in the US as escaped birds.  They were first sighted in Cocoa Beach, Florida in 1964.  They've more recently been added to Audubon's list of California State birds.  In the US, they're reportedly most common in Florida and California (source: Wikipedia).

Male and female spice finches look similar, although the male's coloring is somewhat darker.  Juveniles are paler in color, lack the dark head, and have buff-colored breasts.


Originally, spice finch sightings were one-off observations.  This year I've seen these birds hanging out in noticeably larger groups but they also seem to get along fine with house finches, lesser goldfinches, and white-crowned sparrows.

Spice finches sharing space with a single lesser goldfinch.  This feeder with an outer cage seems to be the favorite among the small birds.

I noticed that the spice finches often share feeding perches, something I've never noticed among the other birds


Good view of a juvenile spice finch on the right



The California scrub jays (Aphelocoma californica) send all the small birds packing when they visit but, thankfully, they don't stop by often.

Not a great photo but a very interesting, if common, bird.  Like it's relative the crow, it's very clever.  Although its weight can close the seed portals of this "squirrel buster" feeder, it can balance its weight in such a way as to get some seed, even if he can't keep it up long.



At least the scrub jays don't break the feeders.  The same can't be said of the squirrels.

On the left is the squirrel contemplating his leap onto the "squirrel buster" bird feeder.  The weight he (or she) put on the cage surrounding the feeder immediately closed the seed portals as shown on the right. With practice, they learn to hang upside down from the top of the feeder to avoid closing the portals immediately but they've actually broken the springs in some of these feeders.

The squirrels are currently leaving the bird feeders alone, having found another source of food elsewhere in our garden.  The already paltry crop of oranges shrinks more every day.



Meanwhile, my cat Pipig and I had our sixth visit with the vet since November earlier this week.  She continues to improve but still hasn't received an all-clear report; however, absent a new problem, we don't plan to see the vet again for another four months.  She's eating well but her weight is still stuck at six pounds, fourteen ounces.



Have a nice weekend.


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


22 comments:

  1. I imaging watching the plethora of avian darlings hang out at your cleverly protected feeders is mesmerizing! It would be difficult to move away. After watching programs on crows' cognitive abilities I don't think of "bird brain" as an insult... and the California scrub jays proves it.
    Darling Pipig is impresses me again with her unusual, gorgeous eye color...a perfect match to the blanket she is resting on. I'm very happy to know she is improving.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish I could get Pipig to put on a little weight. Prior to her cancer and the subsequent surgery and chemo, she weighed a little over 8 pounds.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love this. Your feeder is FULL, and I bet sweet Pipig enjoys the "cat tv". I don't put feeders up anymore, I was attracting too many rodents :(. I really miss it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have 2x as many feeders and keep them full year round but now I only keep 3 filled during the colder months. The squirrels are the biggest pests but I've never seen any other rodents. Peacocks used to show up occasionally when the juvenile males get kicked out of their homes and go roaming but the coyotes inevitably get rid of them :(

      Delete
  3. Fun to see our summer birds taking their winter vacations at your feeders. We just put out feeders prior to our recent cold snap. There was nary a sound or sight of a bird before but within minutes of the feeders being up there they were. The 'jungle network' works quickly. Glad to hear Pipig is doing better. She looks rather imperious in her photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually see the birds splashing in our backyard fountain too but for some reason they seem to be avoiding it at the moment. Too cold maybe ;)

      Delete
  4. As I read your post I'm sitting at the table in our kitchen looking out the window at the huge winter blooming edgeworthia that should be alive with birds right now, especially the hummingbirds. It's not. Our damn winter storm has done a number on my winter bloomers, Arctostaphylos 'Austin Griffiths' just beyond the edgeworthia has dropped most of it's just opening flowers. This is sad for me but horrid for the birds. Thankfully I know many neighbors have feeders for them but I hate that they aren't getting anything from my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, Loree. Icy storms like those you experienced clearly have extensive and long-term effects. I hope you've seen the last of that kind of weather this year. We're expecting a significant warm-up this weekend before rain and colder temperatures come back as the month comes to an end.

      Delete
  5. I treat the scrub jays to peanuts occasionally-I only put out a dozen or so at a time and the jays take them all before the squirrels even know they are in the feeder. It's pretty funny to see the jays pick one up, shake it, reject it and try another one. They usually either fly off and hide them somewhere or take them into a neighbors redwood to open the shells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a neighbor who buys peanuts specifically for the local crows, Kathy. Apparently, her son fed them regularly when he was a kid and his parents feel compelled to continue the practice. Even I've come to recognize feeding time at their house (or actually across the road from their driveway) - the crows mount a protest if they're late delivering. Like you, the neighbors only put out a dozen or so nuts but that seems to satisfy the crows. They clean up after themselves too!

      Delete
  6. I have dark-eyed juncos in the winter and house finches year round. I don't think I've ever seen a white-throated sparrow. It's very pretty. The spice finch is interesting, especially the pattern on his breast. Where did you get the large feeder that the small birds can get into? Also, what kind of seed is in that feeder? I had the good fortune to go to San Francisco in the spring of 2022. We visited the botanical garden and saw lots of scrub jays. Pipig is a pretty cat. I, too, noticed that her eyes matched the blanket. Did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the feeder with the large exterior cage from Wild Birds Unlimited, a chain store specializing in bird-related products. As far I can tell, the stores are limited to Southern California but I think they have an online presence too. I bought that particular feeder MANY years ago but the small birds seem to prefer it, seldom using the other "squirrel buster" feeders until that one is empty. It's also the only one that neither the jays nor the squirrels have ever gotten into, much less broken. The seed is a "no mess" mix. It's sold by Wild Birds but I've been getting a similar mix via Amazon because my Wild Birds store moved further away.

      I didn't make that afghan but a close friend of mine did.

      Delete
  7. I didn't mean to be anonymous with my post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping back with your ID, Jeanette.

      Delete
  8. Lovely shots! I've just invested in a bird feeder camera which will hopefully arrive tomorrow. I can't wait to see the results!

    I'm glad to hear Pipig is doing OK. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should be fun, Nikki! I expect you'll get better photos than I did.

      Delete
  9. Che varietà di volatili! Delle foto stupende! Spero che il tuo gatto stia bene.

    Buona serata.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pipig (the cat) is doing well, although I do wish she would eat more and put on some weight :(

      Delete
  10. Our most common bird around here are the juncos and Steller's jays - we've got flocks of about a dozen each that visit every day. You're post has me thinking I should invest in one of those caged feeders. I Steller's jays are pigs and tend to scare away some of the smaller, more timid birds. I'd love to see the chickadees I hear up in the trees come down, but they never do. Maybe a caged feeder would help. In any case, all the birds have helped keep Linnaeus entertained while he recuperates. I'm very glad to see/hear Pipig is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That caged feeder is definitely a favorite for the small birds, Jerry. They don't photograph as well inside the cage but they clearly prefer the safety it provides.

      Delete
  11. Loved your bird report, Kris. Interesting the uptick on the number of spice finches. They seem to be adapting well to their new country, maybe doubling up on perches increases their success!
    Welcome news about Pipig... I will continue to keep my fingers crossed. 🤞🏼 Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spice finches have definitely settled in here, Eliza. I'm seeing many more of them than the native lesser goldfinches this year.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.