Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Time to get started

The holidays are over and our decorations have been packed away.  Although I've yet to make up my 2024 "to-do" list, I thought it was time to at least fill in the empty spot in my street side garden.  After all it's been bare since the dead Auranticarpa rhombifolium at the south end was removed in late September.

This is a recent shot of the street-side succulent bed.  I thought I had a closeup photo of the empty space in front of the lath house but, if I took one, I can't find it.  As it stands, even as I worked to fill the spot formerly occupied by the tree-sized shrub, I'm concerned that the remaining Auranticarpa on the far right is now also in decline.


Instead of adding new plants, I ended up moving others that were already there.  Someone (not me!) had stepped on the small Agave colorata I'd originally planned to move there and I decided it wasn't worth saving.  However, an Agave americana 'Mediopicta Alba' I'd planted two years ago as a pup deserved more room so I decided to give it pride of place and fill in around the edges.

The mid-sized 'Mediopicta Alba' had already produced 2 pups of its own so I moved the larger of the 2 as well.  The 2 Agave 'Blue Flame' pups on the left will quickly fill the area between them.

I also planted 2 small cuttings of Echium handiense 'Pride of Fuerteventura' and 3 cuttings of Graptoveria 'Fred Ives' behind the 'Mediopicta Alba'.  Unfortunately, at present they're barely visible in the larger photo.


As I tidied up the area in the process of making these changes, I generated succulent cuttings.

There's not enough here to warrant a giveaway yet but I'm willing to bet I'll have more within another couple of weeks


I spent a little time beheading the overgrown Graptoveria 'Fred Ives' in another area but I've yet to finish replanting those cuttings.

As soon as the cuttings callus over, most will go back into the area they came from.  A few of these may go into the street-side bed.


I've also started cutting back the bush violets (Barleria obtusa) that are quickly dropping their ripe seeds.  My largest clumps of these plants have been spreading not only by self-seeding but also by layering, where stems running along the ground root.  So, in addition to cutting the plants back to the ground, I need to reduce some of the clumps to a more manageable size.

I want to remove about one-third of this plant before the new growth develops much further.  The plant should rebound within 2-3 months.


My efforts to control the gophers, described in an earlier post, aren't going well.  Supposedly, these are solitary animals that maintain territories of about an acre in size but, if that's true, the animals have gerrymandered their territories because their mounds are popping up in widely different areas of our half-acre lot.

A fresh gopher's mound that appeared just outside my lath house on New Year's Day is shown on the left.  I poured deterrent granules down the hole, stomped the soil back into place, scattered more granules on top and watered it in (shown right).

Yesterday, more tunnels appeared directly adjacent to the lath house, in the street-side bed next to an Aloe lukeana, and in 2 new spots in back garden.  (All these photos were taken after I stomped the soil back in place.)  I'd tried to channel the gophers eastward toward the back slope but the uncooperative critters are moving west instead.


I'll end this post on a more positive note with a few pretty pictures of recent blooms.

Aloe 'Moonglow'

Lachenalia viridiflora was beaten down by earlier rainstorms but I had to share the fabulous turquoise color of those flowers



I'll be back on Friday with my quarterly wide-shots post, which should provide a good springboard for planning future garden projects.




All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


20 comments:

  1. That first photo is wonderful with the elegant structure of the lath house a perfect contrast to the plantings around it. Just right!

    Blankety-blank Gopher Not Good. Hope you can get rid of it before it does serious damage.

    Lachenalia viridifolia--ooooh! Turquoise flowers are rare and wonderful.

    Our "storm"--one band of rain--has just passed through--we got a decent amount, enough anyway that nothing will need water for another week. Here, it's time to rose-prune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lachenalia bulbs I planted in a pot have done pretty well, HB. Unfortunately, those I planted out in the garden appear to have disappeared.

      We got 0.28/inch of rain overnight, bringing our total since October 1st to 3 inches. Not good but not terrible. Northern California is getting much more rain, although the LA Times reported that there's a "snow drought," which doesn't bode well for summer. *SIGH*

      Delete
    2. I must find some more of those bulbs.

      Delete
    3. As Lachenalia come from South Africa I expect you have a better chance of finding them than I do, Diana. Mine came from Telos Rare Bulbs.

      Delete
  2. I love that first photo as well, the lath house is amazing. Damn gophers! The repellant doesn't do much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The combination of the sonic stakes and the deterrent granules worked well last time, Tracy, but I swear there must be more than one gopher tunneling away in my garden this time. I don't like lethal remedies but right now I'm wondering if I need to reconsider that stance.

      Delete
  3. You've been busy! I'm so sorry you're dealing with gophers, I hope your deterrents do their job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels at though all the local gophers have organized a family reunion here this year, Loree. I wish they'd pick the wilder canyon areas for their picnic but efforts to point them in that direction clearly aren't working. Even I'm annoyed at the sonic signals at this point so I can't understand why they're not.

      Delete
  4. You're not slacking off the way I have! Love your Aloe 'Moonglow'. Its flowers are a bit different from mine - fluffier somehow. And that Lachenalia viridiflora!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 'Moonglow' came from Denise. There are 2 in the same area but one has stubbornly refused to bloom. I think there's a third one somewhere but I'm not sure where it landed - the back slope maybe.

      Delete
  5. Those gophers are a nightmare... I don't envy you having to deal with them. Your aloe is so pretty! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gophers were relatively accommodating last time! My neighbor says she ignored hers and they left on their own. I can only hope mine (I'm convinced there's more than one) toddle off soon before those sonic devices drive me batty.

      Delete
  6. It seems as we and our gardens age it is often more work and less fun, especially with unwelcome critters. It is so warm here I am afraid not one nasty bug is going to die over the winter, just plants. My plants are all confused and want to be sleeping under snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll get some snow soon, Linda. The headline on the front page of yesterday's Los Angeles Times reported a "snow drought" in California. The snow bank is important to our water system, especially during the summer months so that isn't good news.

      Delete
  7. Nothing like the new year to get you reinvigorated. Looking at the first photo I noticed how your Sticks on Fire provide a nice pop of colour. The next showed a cutting. If there's room it would look fabulous up against the brown of the lathe house. Perhaps slightly biased as I really like this plant. If you can find the tunnels for the gophers strongly scented dryer sheets can often direct them elsewhere. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Sticks on Fire' looks especially colorful this time of year. I love it but it's a rampant grower and keeping it contained isn't easy. It can grow to roof height! My husband hates it due to its milky sap - he's particularly sensitive to it. I haven't had any issues with it myself, at least until I cut a couple of the plants back this week and had a reaction. Gloves and great care is required when cutting it. When I give stems away I always warn people to be careful when handling it. In my case, I'm trying to reserve it for spots where it can be more easily managed.

      Delete
  8. Love the 'Moonglow' Aloe! I will dream of gardening until March, although we haven't had much snow, so there are some hardscape projects I can tackle even though the plants are dormant. And I'll visit your blog to live/garden vicariously through your posts. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow or not, I imagine it can be hard to work in the garden when temperatures go as low as yours do, Beth. I'm good when temperatures are in the low 60s but you'd find it hard to get me to go to work if it were in the 40s or even the low 50s ;)

      Delete
  9. Aren't aloes stunning when in flower? I planted mine closer to the house during the year, so I hope I haven't messed with their potential to flower this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not, Jo. In general, I find they're fairly forgiving plants.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.