Monday, January 15, 2024

In a Vase on Monday: Peachy

I was hoping to see blooms from some of my Hippeastrums this week but it's been colder than usual and the plants are in less of a hurry than I am.  Maybe it's time to bring one or two pots indoors to speed things up.  In the meantime, I took inspiration from the first two flower stalks of Digitalis 'Dalmatian Peach'.

While the foxgloves provided the inspiration, they were figuratively and literally eclipsed by the Grevilleas and Leucadendrons I paired with them

Back view: Stems of Leucadendron 'Safari Sunset' have proven indispensable to fill vases this winter

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Digitalis purpurea 'Peach Dalmatian', Grevillea 'Superb', Leptospermum 'Copper Glow', Leucadendron salignum 'Chief', and L. 'Safari Sunset'


Given my pattern with IAVOM posts, it's somewhat remarkable that I have only one new vase to offer this week.  Last week's flower-less vase of Aeoniums, Hibiscus, and Leucadendrons is still in the same place, looking very much the same.  In contrast, the pink Camellias included in the other vase dropped within twenty-four hours, although the arrangement's reverse face held up all week.  One of the Camellia buds also slowly started to open.  That's unusual so I've kept the stem in water to see if it'll open fully before it drops.

I wanted to root the coleus cuttings in water anyway so I'm giving the Camellia bud a chance to bloom


In addition to being colder than usual (low to mid 50sF), it's been windy and very dry here.  Our total rain since the start of our current "water year" on October 1st is 3.01 inches (76 millimeters).  The northern part of the state has received considerably more rain but the storms haven't reached us in Southern California.  It seems that the El Niño phenomenon that often signals heavier rain is being counteracted by other factors like the Madden-Julian Oscillation and the general warming of the planet.  (A thorough evaluation of some of these factors are described here if you're interested in climate science.)  As things stand, there's another chance of rain beginning on Friday.  Fingers crossed!


For more IAVOM creations, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.




P.S.  Today is also Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day but I'm delaying that until Wednesday, the 17th, this month.


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


26 comments:

  1. As a fan of 'less is more', the second vase is Ikebana-like and very much my cup of (green) tea.
    In my experience, Camellia buds can last quite a while in an arrangement, but don't open all the way.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my recollection is that the Camellia buds crash prior to opening but I've been fixated on the slow progress of this one in the hope it may be the flower that challenges the norm ;)

      Delete
  2. How nice the second vase had the power to make it through to week 2, that's the best. Love the peachy-ness of your new arrangement. Leucadendron really are fantastic, especially now. Here's to some Friday rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine my garden without Leucadendrons any more, Tracy. The rain prognosis looks a little better each day - surely that's a positive sign!

      Delete
  3. Lovely, the flowers are so perfect they don't look real. It is the middle of winter here in NJ. Anything left is really damaged and already winter worn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter in coastal Southern California is a very different thing, TLL. I've heard that NJ got hit pretty hard by the latest arctic storm. I hope the weather warms up later in the week.

      Delete
  4. Peachy keen! The flowers look great in the green vase. This El Nino thing is a drag! I hope you get some rain and warmer weather. Seems odd to me to be cold! Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long stretches of temperatures in the 50sF do seem weird, Amelia!

      Delete
  5. Is the toad also waiting for rain? She is a cute extra to a gorgeous arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the toad would appreciate a bit of rain, Noelle ;) Sadly, I've never seen either a toad or a frog in my current garden. We have LOTS of heat-loving lizards, though.

      Delete
  6. I love your peachy arrangements, Kris. It seems the whole nation is experiencing cooler than usual temps. Glad I'm not in Iowa today!
    Looking forward to your bloom day post! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As with most of my Bloom Day posts, once I've assembled all my photos, I'm surprised by how many flowers I've found even if they're nowhere near as abundant as they are in spring and summer.

      Delete
  7. Quite beautiful especially seeing the foxglove. Very unusual weather in so many places...no snow and frigid here. Hoping you see some rain. Yes those oscillations do change up weather forecasts as I discovered studying weather more closely as a gardener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect we're going to be lucky if we get even a "normal" level of rain this year, Donna.

      Delete
  8. I always associate peachy colours with you, Kris, and wonder whether they are a particular favourite, or if it is a coincidence that so many of your vases contain those shades? I know you had little choice with today's, and in no way am I suggesting that it is boring to see peachy vases - after all, I know some bloggers avoid pinks, and we will all probably have our favourite shades. I am just eternally curious!! As always, today you have matched flowers and foliage so well - and how nice to see your camellia bud opening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely like peachy colors but I can't say it's my favorite color, Cathy. In the garden, blue is probably my top pick but blue flowers are harder to come by ;) The plethora of peach may be due to my tendency to blend colors in the same family - peach softens the transition between red, orange and yellow.

      Delete
  9. The warm colors are warming for our cooler-than-lately weather. Wow foxglove flowers already! My seedlings are all growing well but nowhere near flowers.

    The second arrangement is out-of-the-ordinary and very creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave up on growing foxgloves from seed as I found it took a good 2 years for them to reach bloom stage, HB. I go for the foxglove plugs in 6-packs as, planted in the fall, they start blooming in late winter.

      Delete
  10. Oh foxglove time already - how fortunate you are Kris 😍 I've not come across the term 'Madden-Julian Oscillation' before now so will look that up later. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you for Friday. Here we have had a let up from all the rain and wind and had a spell of cold dry weather - snow this morning but the rain and wind returns at the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain is still very much in the forecast here, Anna; however, it's been pushed out into Saturday-Monday now. I'm glad you got a break in the weather, even if it's short-lived.

      Delete
  11. I love your peachy vase. Awesome to have Digitalis 'Dalmatian Peach' in flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Southern California offers some advantages, Susie ;)

      Delete
  12. Kris, I just love your vase arrangement this week with Grevilleas! Everything is so beautifully colour coordinated too, with the flowers and vase matching so well. I'm not surprised to hear your open Camellias dropped so fast. You'll have to give us an update on how the bud progresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far the one bud is still slowly opening but another less developed bud dropped today, Jo. The Camellia blooms left on the shrub do last noticeably longer.

      Delete
  13. The colours are beautiful Kris and I think the vase really compliments them too. I do hope you get some rain. It seems so unfair when parts of the country are being bombarded with it and you don't get any!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even under "normal" conditions coastal Southern California gets only 14-15 inches a year, Cathy. We were spoiled with nearly 24 inches in my location last year. I wasn't expecting a replay but it's hard not to fear the 4 inch total we got a few years ago.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.