Wednesday, January 10, 2024

2024 Garden Projects

My January wide shots helped me plan this year's top garden projects.  One, the renovation of the succulent bed adjacent to the garage in the front garden, has been top-of-mind for several months but viewing my garden as a whole last week helped me focus on other spaces as well.  I'm only going to list the bigger ticket items here but, trust me, there are a lot of little projects on my list too.

Other than getting rid of the gopher, the only thing that's elevated itself to an eyesore in the back garden is this:

I trimmed this mass of Helichrysum 'Icicles' last year and it looked great but it's a mess now.  I'd like to replace it with more of the same plants but I haven't seen it in garden centers in recent years so I may have to find alternatives, which could in turn lead to an overall of the whole area.


Although the south-side garden always looks pretty good, there are several areas that need to be addressed, a couple of which I've already tackled.

I gave the 3 Agonis flexuosa 'Nana' in this bed a severe pruning last year and hoped to avoid it this year; however, they experienced insect damage in late summer and the best way to tackle that is to cut it back and spray with Neem oil.  I finished doing that late last week.  I may plant annuals at the base of the shrubs to cover the bare soil while they flesh out.

Agave 'Blue Flame' grows fast, gets big, and produces lots of pups.  The one on the left squeezed between the larger 'Blue Flame' and a 'Blue Glow' needs to go.  As you can see in the photo on the right, it's also encroaching on an Agave mediopicta 'Alba'.  Removing it without damaging the plants around it or getting poked will be a challenge.

Other 'Blue Flame' Agaves in the same bed are also crowded.  The 2 smaller ones rubbing up against the Dasylirion longissima need to be pulled to give the other Agave mediopicta 'Alba' on the right more space to grow and me room to weed around the Dasylirion.

I planted 3 small Pilosocereus pachycladus a few years ago.  They don't look happy, perhaps because they're shaded by the larger succulents surrounding them.  As maneuvering around them is already an issue, I'm going to pull them out.  Maybe they'll find a spot in my front garden's succulent bed, or maybe the succulent garden at the entry of our neighborhood.

I finally finished replanting the Graptoveria 'Fred Ives' succulents I beheaded last week.  I ended up spreading them over a wider area due to a gopher problem described below.
I discovered obvious gopher damage when I found that one large clump of Arthropodium cirratum (aka Renga lily, upper left) had collapsed.  (The photo on the upper right shows a healthy specimen.)  Many of the roots had been nibbled away and the gopher hole sealed the verdict.  I kept a handful of the bulbs I thought might survive transplanting,


Rather than replant them in the same spot in the hope that I've succeeded in evicting the gopher from that area, I planted the Renga lilies in the front garden.  I'd previously had more of them in this area but many were trampled during last October's tree trimming exercise and I'd pulled them up.  Hopefully, the transplants will survive their mistreatment by the gophers.


I finished one project in the front garden early in the new year but others remain.

We pulled out a woody, overgrown Coleonema 'Sunset Gold' in this area late last year.  After pulling weeds and pruning 3 large 'Starfire' Cupheas, I planted the Protea 'Claire' I bought as a Christmas present to myself.

This Coleonema 'Sunset Gold' looks out of place, and the gardener's insistence on shearing it into a rectangle makes it worse.  I don't know what I'll put in its place but I'm leaning toward a low-profile groundcover.

These 2 Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' shrubs make the list because pruning them is always a major workout.  I need to get to it soon too if I want to avoid cutting away summer's flowers.

This is the succulent bed slated for renovation.  I'm planning to dig up and pot all the succulents I want to keep for possible replanting once the design comes together.  I may remove the Abelia grandiflora on the far left too.  It's another plant that routinely gets sheared into an unnatural shape.

In the lower level front garden, the overgrown Aeoniums could use beheading and replanting but that's a relatively low-priority project


The cutting garden turns over on a seasonal basis so there's almost always something to do there; however, there's a unique problem I can't ignore much longer.

In contrast to the situation on the lower level front garden, cutting back the Aeoniums in the cutting garden can't be put off much longer.  There's no longer much space to walk between them and the raised planters.


Off-the-cuff, I'd thought there was little that needed work in the north-side garden but, upon examination, there are several things I should address.

Last year, my husband added a row of cement bricks to widen one section of this path.  The bricks end abruptly where I'd planted Aeonium 'Kiwi' as edging years before.  I looks odd to me and I'm inclined to take out the Aeoniums and add more bricks until the break in materials is less obvious.

I used Aeonium 'Kiwi' as edging on the other side of the gravel path too and it's crowding a variety of agaves planted behind it.  I'm planning to pull these Aeoniums out. 

The ivy that covers the upper section of the back slope has crawled up under the hedge into the north-side garden and has spread into the bed beyond.  The ivy is virtually impossible to remove, at least without hiring a crew capable of scaling the steep slope.  The best I can do is to cut it back to the edge of hedge and try to stay on it in the future.

Pruning the Leucadendron 'Chief' (the tall plant behind the dark Leucadendron 'Ebony') is another big job.  I'd guess the plant is 11-12 feet tall and at least as wide at present, despite annual pruning.

I pruned this Senna bicapsularis yesterday morning without taking a "before" shot.  This is a host plant for the cloudless sulpher butterflies but managing its height is a problem, as is my decision years ago to grow it in the narrow space between a fence and the stairway leading down the back slope.


My husband jumped in yesterday to take care of two projects on the back slope but two others remain open.

The Agave attenuata I planted as pups at the bottom of the slope have multiplied like crazy.  This large rosette was blocking the bottom of the concrete block stairway, creating a safety hazard.

My husband did me the favor of cutting it off, clearing the stair (for now) and revealing an aloe I didn't remember planting there.  I cleaned out the dead leaves on the agaves but I still need to find another home for the aloe.

This is the remnant of the Echium webbii I cut back after it finished blooming last spring because it blocked the path along the hedge.  I'd meant to take it out entirely and never got around to it.

The photo on the left shows the area after my husband dug up the Echium's skeleton.  I cleaned up the area around it afterwards and found an Agave funkiana I'd planted there a couple of years ago.

The ivy along the property line always needs cutting back.  The exact position of the boundary line isn't clear but my guess is that it's roughly in the middle of that mass.  The area behind my row of Drimia maritima is very uneven, which complicates matters.  For the moment, I'm satisfied with the job the gardeners did hacking the ivy back a couple of feet.

This peach tree was planted by the former owner a few feet up on the ivy covered slope near the property line.  The tree has never borne fruit and ivy is climbing up its stems.  Rather than doing anything with it myself, I'm currently planning to have it removed by professionals during next fall's tree trimming exercise.


Even discounting the smaller projects I haven't highlighted here, I know there will be others that emerge over the course of the year.  Believe it or not, listing what needs to be done doesn't overwhelm me  - it actually helps me focus.



All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


20 comments:

  1. It's a good thing you aren't overwhelmed by your to do list - I feel it is rather intimidating. I suppose the next step will be to prioritize the projects and get to work. It was nice of your husband to lend a hand with some of the heavy lifting.
    Looking at Helichrysum 'Icicles', I think it's probably not too bad looking from other vantage points. Does it have another season in it? Could you take cuttings?
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little haphazard when it comes to prioritizing the projects, Chavli. I often jump on those I find the most visually annoying and I'm prone to ignoring those that I see less often, like those on the back slope.

      Historically, I haven't had great success with soft wood cuttings but another commentator has laid out a recipe for success so perhaps I'll try it.

      Delete
  2. I don't envy you that agave work (the sharp ones, not the attenuata), yikes! Like you I love to have a list to help me focus. If you ever end up with a bunch of aeoniums to give away my niece up in Thousand Oaks has discovered plants and is head-over-heels for aeoniums. I mentioned your sometimes giveways and that it was a shame she didn't live closer, my brother in law actually didn't sound opposed to the drive. Just thought I would mention it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep that in mind, Loree. The Aeonium arboreum in the cutting garden - and the front slope - are mostly just glossy green, although one develops a bronze edge with enough sun. I do have a plethora of Aeonium 'Kiwi' elsewhere, though ;)

      Delete
  3. È bello quando si hanno dei ceppi così grossi da poterli dividere e ripiantare, è molto soddisfacente! Quell'agave 'Blue' è bellissima ma non credo che ce la farebbe nel mio clima.

    Buona serata!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most succulents are easy to propagate from cuttings here, Gabriel. Given how their prices have increased in recent years, that is a lucky thing! We do not get freezes in my climate so I cannot comment on how well 'Blue Glow' and 'Blue Flame' Agaves hold up to cold temperatures based on personal experience but it is my impression those 2 are not as tough as some others, like Agave ovatifolia.

      Delete
  4. The Helichrysum 'Icicles' is really easy to root. Start cuttings in late April to early June, regular potting soil will work. I put several 4 inch cuttings in a four inch pot (use a bit of rooting hormone if you want to up your chances of success). Place in light shade and keep moist, and they should root in a month, be big enough to transplant out by late summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestions on rooting 'Icicles'! Frankly, I've never done as well with hardwood or even semi-hardwood cuttings as I do with softwood cuttings but I'll give it a try, assuming I haven't replaced the plants before April.

      Delete
  5. The Agaves (well, all the plants!) are stunning and healthy! And your plans and plantings are so impressive. Sometimes when I see your pathways and plants I think of the Desert Garden at Balboa Park in San Diego. It has a fun scenic overlook, too, and many of the plants are similar. Your brick and rock pathway is fabulous, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I've ever visited the Balboa Park Desert Garden, which is remarkable given that I've lived in Southern California my entire life! If I have it was many, many years ago when I wasn't paying much attention to plants. Maybe I'll get my husband to visit it and the San Diego Zoo (my favorite zoo) this year.

      Delete
  6. I'm with you, I like a "to do" list. Also, I had to laugh at "pulling that out may lead to an overhaul of the whole area" hahaha. Yeah, that's exactly what happens! Oooh, that agave/dasylirion area is a prickly predicament!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The possibility of pulling out the Dasylirion was on my list last year, largely because it's currently impossible to weed around it. A variety of people supported my keeping it, hence the proposal to approach the problem from a different angle this year by removing some of the agave pups. In either case, I expect I'll get speared a time or 2.

      Delete
  7. A gardener's work is never done. You have tackled a number of jobs already. Oh to have the problem of too many Aeoniums. I am trying an experiment this year. I have left my big potted ones in our garage which varies between 38-45F. So far they look really good. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that works, Elaine. I looked into our average winter temperatures. The nearest location that tracks that data (the Long Beach Airport) shows lows ranging from 41F-52F, with an average of 46.5F (or 5C-11C averaging 8C). The lowest of those temperatures presents absolutely no problem.

      Delete
  8. Excellent idea to survey and plan ahead. You inspire me to attempt that myself.
    Aeoniums I'm getting away from as edging--they grow too darn fast!

    Now that Natasha is doing so much better there will be more time to think.


    A garden club friend who is plagued with gophers being on the edge of the wildlands park told me just this morning ivy geraniums seem to fend off gophers effectively so she has them planted as groundcover to surround her choicest plants. Works for her... --hb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad Natasha is better! You're right about Aeoniums, although some seem to grow faster than others, at least in my garden. Maybe I'll use the dark and dramatic ones more as they don't seem to bulk up like the large green A. arboreum or the A. haworthii.

      Thanks for sharing your friend's experience with ivy geraniums. I love them so it's worth a try. Maybe gophers object to surfacing in a sea of vining stems ;)

      Delete
  9. That is a large number of projects! I will probably limit mine to 2 or 3 major ones, plus any unexpected emergency projects. If you've got the inclination, the Helichrysum 'Icicles' might be easy to try from cuttings. I've had pretty good luck with several different varieties stuck into a mixture of perlite/vermiculite and then bagged out of direct sun. Might be more effort than it's worth to you though, especially since you will probably want to fill it more quickly than waiting on some cuttings to root first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may try a few cuttings of 'Icicles' but if I can't find a decent-sized replacement for the spot the plant in the local garden center I'll probably fill the space with something else. Patience is one of my strongest qualities.

      Delete
  10. We don't have gophers or ivy in our garden, thank goodness. It seems that both are a problem for you. I have some large agaves which look like your 'Blue Flame'. Mine multiply too, so I keep and eye on them and remove them if the run too rampant. I notice you have some chalk stick growing nearby to them, which I have also. Mine are just beginning to flowers for the first time. Some areas that you plan to give attention to look lovely to me! But that pruning every winter is a necessary chore. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the past, raccoons have been the biggest problem but, irritated as I get with them, the gophers are currently trying my patience even more. I had an issue with them just once before but they moved on with some encouragement from me. This time it seems they're in it for the long haul despite everything (short of murder) I've thrown at them. Come spring, maybe the gophers will be gone but then the rabbits and raccoons will probably be back. I try to live with the critters but sometimes they make it very hard...

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.