Thursday, December 7, 2023

A Week of Flowers: Looking back at May & June 2023

It's the final day of the Week of Flowers series hosted by Cathy at Words and Herbs to boost the spirits of those of us in the Northern Hemisphere already looking forward to the more flowerful seasons of the coming year.   My Day 5 post focused on floral highlights during the first two months of 2023; Day 6 focused on those in March and April; and this Day 7 post focuses on May and June, when our cool season gives way to warmer weather but it isn't as hot as it'll get later in the year.

The flowers I selected for this post aren't unusual but each packs a punch in the garden, while managing the transition from our cool season to the warm season without a hitch.

Alstromeria is another plant that returns when our temperatures decline.  A few have produced a handful of flowers already but I probably won't see the full spectrum of colors until we edge near summer.  Clockwise from are upper left are: 'Claire', 'Inca Sundance', 'Inca Husky', 'Indian Summer', a noID pink variety, 'Inca Vienna', and 'Third Harmonic'.

For all practical purposes Centranthus ruber is a weed here.  It literally grows wild along the local roads.  But I appreciate the color it brings to my dry and lightly tended back slope.

Helichrysum thianschanicum 'Icicles' was a revelation last year when I finally allowed it to bloom.  Like Morticia Addams, I used to cut all the flowers off as they appeared to let its silver foliage shine.

This is my favorite Pacific Coast Iris (Iris douglasiana 'Wilder than Ever').  It doesn't bloom as prolifically as other varieties but I don't care.

I've had limited success with bearded Irises but I love them anyway.  This is Iris germanica 'City Lights'.  It's supposed to be a rebloomer but all I got was one round of flowers in May 2023.  Maybe next year it'll show up twice.

My last offering is Limonium perezii.  Generally sold as plugs in 6-packs here, it puts on an admirable show from February through late summer.  It's papery flowers hold up for an extended period both in the garden and as cut flowers.


That's it for me this week.  Many thanks to Cathy of Words and Herbs for hosting this series and for brightening our days over the past week.  Check in with her here, to see what plants she and other contributors to this series have shared.


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


11 comments:

  1. Beautiful alstroemerias, they are so pretty. I've let a patch go amuck and need to get them back in line. The Limonium perezii is a standout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Limonium perezii has been vastly underrated, Tracy.

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize there are so many different shades of Alstromeria Kris. The creamy yellow one is lovely - well, they all are! I love your irises too and after seeing several gorgeous ones on posts this week I have discovered a new interest in them…. That is what has been so great about this week, discovering new plants and getting inspiration, as well as all the lovely interaction with everyone! Thank you so much for joining in Kris, and contributing to the floral festival! đŸ€—

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alstroemerias come in even more colors than that; however, the creamy yellow one, 'Claire', is perhaps my favorite of all of them. Thank YOU for pulling this party together!

      Delete
  3. A wonderful abundance of blooms. My eyes lingered over your irises of course - what beauties. This has been a fun week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pacific Coast Irises grow almost as well as Dutch Iris in my Southern California climate. Sadly, the bearded Iris haven't done as well here since drought became such a persistent factor and water restrictions went into effect.

      Delete
  4. Colorful selection of alstromeria, a favorite cut flower of mine. Love the limonium as well. One thing I noted was the change of light intensity at that time of year, compared to now. Those bright sunny days are wonderful! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first group, the Alstromerias, are a beautiful display. I can imagine you have many scented flowers growing in your garden, which would be heavely to wander through. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've fewer scented flowers than I'd like, Joanne, although my sense of smell has never been strong so that may be a factor in my perception. Sadly, I had to give up Gardenias due to water issues. I did get a Daphne to survive here, though.

      Delete
  6. I keep meaning to try Limonium in my own garden and never think of it when I am at the nurseries in spring. I am trying to think if there are any plants that I would cut the flowers off of. I don't think that there are, but there are probably some that I should. Maybe Morticia could visit and help out next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dislike most succulent flowers too, although I don't generally go out of my way to cut them off. It's odd because I tend to be obsessed with flowers in general.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.