Friday, December 15, 2023

Bloom Day - December 2023

I checked last December's Bloom Day post before starting this one.  There were more flowers in December 2022 than there are this December but then we got over four and a half inches of rain between October 1st and December 31st in 2022.  Thus far, we've received less than half an inch in total between October 1st and today so the difference in the volume of flowers isn't all that surprising.  On the good news side, there's currently a significant chance of rain next week.  Maybe the tide is turning at last.

In November, Barleria obtusa (aka bush violet), Camellia sasanqua, and Tagetes lemmonii (aka Mexican marigolds) were the stars of my garden.  The bush violets and marigolds are now all but gone but other plants have stepped up to fill the vacuum.

Leptospermum scoparium 'Pink Pearl' usually puts on its best display in the spring but it's doing pretty well this December, even if the bright orange leaves of the persimmon tree behind it are competing for attention

At some point during the last year, this Leucadendron 'Summer Red' exploded in size, at least when viewed from the back.  The colorful bracts aren't true flowers but they deserve the same kind of acclaim.

Metrosideros collina 'Springfire' hasn't reached maturity yet but it provides a nice backdrop for the Leucadendron in the prior photo

I took these photos of Leucadendron 'Safari Sunset' as night was falling.  Like 'Summer Red' this plant is also looking more dramatic viewed from the back.

The Camellia sasanqua shrubs are even more floriferous than they were last month.  Both varieties came with the garden and I don't have IDs for either.  I've always considered them similar in color but these photos show their differences in color and flower shape.


Many of the usual workhorses of my garden are present as well, even if not putting on a boisterous show.

The Hong Kong orchid tree (Bauhinia x blakeana) sprang back after it was pruned in October; however, all the flowers are so far above my head I had to use a telephoto lens to capture them.  Wind and low humidity has also taken its toll on the flowers.

The Cupheas all need a hard pruning but I've been waiting for the onset of serious rainfall to do that.  From left to right are 'Honeybells', 'Starfire Pink', and 'Vermillionaire'.

Gomphreana decumbens 'Itsy Bitsy' is back with a vengeance now.  What the flowers lack in size, they make up for in volume.

Even Grevillea 'Superb' (left and upper right) is a little light on flowers at this time of year.  A couple of months ago, I'd feared that Grevillea 'Peaches & Cream' (lower right) was failing but an irrigation repair and eviction of some gophers has helped the shrub recover.

The Osteospermums are returning slowly - and I've yet to find any of the double-petaled varieties I prefer to fill empty spots where I'd like more.  All shown here except the yellow variety, '4D Sunburst', have been in my garden for one or more years.

This Pelargonium peltatum 'Lavender Blizzard' (aka ivy geranium) is happier than any others in my garden at present

Pentas lanceolata has been doing particularly well in this barrel container, which gets more water than my borders



There were a few surprises in terms of plants that have held on longer than I expected.

I didn't expect the blooms of Hibiscus acetosella 'Haight Ashbury' to continue once our nighttime temperature fell but they have.  Although the flowers last only a single day, I also discovered that flower buds on a cut stem do open in a vase.

I showed this Ruscus hypoglossum in a November post on foliage plants.  It's now covered in its peculiar tiny flowers, which remind me of alien insects (see closeup on the upper right).

Salvia discolor is still producing its delicate, almost black, sweetly scented blooms



Several Aloes and a few other succulents are just getting started.

Clockwise from the upper left are: Aeonium arboreum, Aloe lukiana, A. 'Moonglow', A. vanbalenii x ferox', A. 'Safari Rose', and Crassula orbiculata var rosularis



I've tied photos of the best of the rest together in color-coordinated collages.

Clockwise from the upper left: Barleria obtusa, Calibrachoa 'Mini Double Blue', Duranta repens 'Sapphire Showers', Lavandula multifida, Nemesia 'Sun Glow Bicolor', Polygala myrtifolia, and Vitex trifolia


Top row: noID Alstroemeria, noID Angelonia, and Argyranthemum 'Grandaisy Dark Pink'
Middle: Boronia crenula 'Shark Bay', Correa pulchella 'Pink Eyre', and Pelargonium hortorum 'Dynamo Hot Pink'
Bottom: Persicaria capitata, Ptilotus exultatus, and Ruschia lineolata 'Nana'

Clockwise from the upper left: Alstroemeria 'Claire', noID Angelonia, Dipladenia 'Sundenia White', and Fuchsia 'Wind Chimes White'

Top row: Arbutus 'Marina', Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun', and Leonotis leonurus
Middle: Calibrachoa 'Supercal Cherry', Gazania 'Gold Flame', and noID Gazania
Bottom: Euryops chrysanthemoides, Rudbeckia 'Cherokee Sunset', and Tagetes lemmonii



For more Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day posts, visit Carol of May Dreams Gardens.



All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


22 comments:

  1. Flower like yours will help me through the barren months where I live. I feasted on them all. I love camillas, which are not hardy in my zone. I wonder if your Hong Kong orchid tree is the same as the purple orchid tree on the post of another GBBD participant who lives in India.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Arun's Bauhinia is a different species, Alana. Mine is Bauhinia x blakeana and I think hers may be Bauhinia variegata. There are a LOT of different Bauhinias, although not all are trees.

      Delete
  2. Well you might not feel like there is a lot going on for this Bloomday but wowsa! That's a lot of floral beauty. The leucadendron and grevillia are so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Leucadendrons took off this year, Loree! While the large-flowered Grevilleas keep pumping out flowers, the small-flowered varieties are late to bloom this season, at least by comparison to last year.

      Delete
  3. Despite the lack of rain there is tons happening in your garden. Nice to see the cheery colours. The weather has continued to be odd. My mother on Vancouver Island has already had two atmospheric rivers go through. We are well above our normal temperatures with the continuance of our drought. Fingers crossed Mother Nature will supply us all with more adequate moisture soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been on the warm and windy side for most of the fall season here, with very little rain like you. The forecasters here are teasing us with rain projections for the coming week but yesterday's predictions have already been pushed out from late Sunday into Wednesday and later so who knows? I hope Mother Nature gives us both a break soon, Elaine.

      Delete
  4. Your garden is amazing as always Kris. I think my favorite this month is the Camellia sasanqua, but I do love it all. In the northeast, we have been getting more rain than usual. The last storm we had just delivered three inches of rain to our area and there is another storm on the way for this weekend. I'm thinking there will be rain in your forecast soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I heard a major storm recently passed through the northeast, Lee. The Pacific Northwest has had a couple of atmospheric rivers but none of those have reached further south than Northern California thus far. Hopefully next week will be different!

      Delete
  5. Kris, I love seeing your amazing garden. That Bauhinia is spectacular, and so are the Camelias and aloes! You have so much in bloom! So much of what you grow is very exotic to me here in the east coast, I love learning about these unfamiliar plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah but the flip side of the equation is that things like peonies, tulips, and witch hazel that you may be able to grow are largely out of the question for me.

      Delete
  6. Your garden is taking the low rain in stride. Looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may be rain next week, Tracy! However, it's still too early to get really excited about the prospect as the rug is frequently pulled from under our feet ;)

      Delete
  7. So many beautiful blooms, Kris. I'm especially a big fan of the Camellias and the Leucadendrons because I can't grow them here. I remember seeing so many beautiful Leucadendrons during trips out to your lovely state. Happy GBBD and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pentas are so pretty. I've never tried them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They want more water than they'd get in my borders but they're doing well in my cutting garden, which gets regular water.

      Delete
  9. I do like Crassula orbiculata var rosularis! Not so much for the flower itself, but the rosette of leafs and red stems... very sweet.
    What a peculiar bloom form Ruscus hypoglossum has, growing out of the middle of the leaf... alien indeed.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Crassula is one of my favorite succulents, Chavli. I didn't buy it for the flowers but they don't annoy me as many other succulent flowers do.

      Delete
  10. It's so wonderful to see so much colour at this time of year! The Osteospermums are wonderful! Here in Wales, my garden is in winter-mode and is quite bare at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we may not get much rain but we also don't get the freezing temperatures that throw many plants elsewhere into dormancy, Nikki ;)

      Delete
  11. Still so much in bloom, a joy to see from my barren landscape. I love the persimmon backing the leptospermum, the osteospermums and grevillea (always!) and Nemesia 'Sun Glow Bicolor' is wonderful! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to the point we turn in the direction of spring, Eliza ;)

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.