Monday, December 4, 2023

In a Vase on Monday: New blooms and old

We're expecting unseasonably warm temperatures early this week and I allowed that to be an excuse for cutting my first Hippeastrum bloom on Sunday for today's vase.  I went overboard and purchased nine new Hippeastrum bulbs this year, all of which I potted up.  One, 'Apricot Parfait', was already sprouting when it arrived, whereas none of the others have done so yet even after being planted.

A second bloom stalk has developed, making me feel less guilty about cutting the first one

Back view: I found a few other flowers with colors that picked up on the salmon-pink color of the Hippeastrum (commonly known as Amaryllis)

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Agonis flexuosa 'Nana', Correa pulchella 'Pink Eyre', Leucadendron 'Jester', Hippeastrum 'Apricot Parfait', and Metrosideros collina 'Springfire'


The second, smaller arrangement was inspired by a lone Lisianthus flower lying face down in one of my backyard borders.

I was disappointed by the Lisianthus (Eustoma grandiflorum) this year so I was surprised to see one pop up when I least expected to see any.  The bush violets (Barleria obtusa) are fading fast so it was a match I couldn't resist.

Back view

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Correa 'Ivory Bells', Osteospermum 'Violet Ice', Prostanthera ovalifolia 'Variegata', Barleria obtusa', and Eustoma grandiflorum



It's still very dry here.  While the Pacific Northwest is expecting an atmospheric river to bring heavy rain this week, none of that's likely to reach us in Southern California.  In fact, there's no rain showing in the ten-day forecast and the last long-term forecast I read suggested that rain is more likely in late December or January.  I don't mind a delay but I wish I could be more certain that the rain will get here eventually.


For more IAVOM creations, visit Cathy in Rambling in the Garden.




All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


20 comments:

  1. As impressive as Hippeastrum blooms are, my heart will go with purple every time: Lisianthus wins for amazing saturation, and the ivory touch is perfect. As is the vase!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Lisianthus in all its colors and can only hope that I'll find new plants to add to my garden this year, ideally in time to take advantage of the winter rain when it arrives.

      Delete
  2. Nothing says CA gardener like wistful rainy longings. Thanks for all the salmon-colored inspo; need it due to some previously planted peculiar-colored flax :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, every local gardener I know is eagerly awaiting the arrival of "real" rain. At least Northern California may get some from the atmospheric river.

      Delete
  3. I 'm drawn to the Agonis flexuosa 'Nana' in the first arrangement. Oh, lisianthus - I love them, but they are fickle. I'm glad you spotted the purple one so you could enjoy it. Both arrangements are beautiful. Hopefully you will get some December precipitation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Agonis flexuosa 'Nana', Tracy. Sadly, it's prone to develop scale. I cut my 3 plants back hard and sprayed last winter but it reappeared last month. I sprayed again but it was too late to make much difference. I expect I'm going to have to repeat last year's routine again this December.

      Delete
  4. We're at 2.59" since last Thursday with more on the way. It's a little much. At least it's warm, this time last week our overnight low was around 29, last night was 58. I LOVE that first arrangement, everything about it is just lovely. The vase color and shape the perfect compliment to those blooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Atmospheric rivers do seem to be on the warm side.

      I was pleased to see a Hippeastrum bloom so early but now I'm annoyed with the rest about doing nothing. Sellers usually recommend withholding water after initial planting until the bulbs sprout but maybe they're too dry...

      Delete
  5. I don't remember seeing your bush violets before - lovely colour and they do go well with the Eustoma and that lovely Osteospermum. And the Hippeastrum vase is almost festive. The Leucadendron goes perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the bush violets at least once before for IAVOM in early November but they may have been eclipsed by the purple and white bearded Iris I paired with them. The flowers were denser on each stem then they are now. As to the other arrangement, Leucadendron 'Jester' is very useful as a companion in a vase.

      Delete
  6. Pretty vases today, Kris, especially the containers. I have never been able to figure out the Hippa/Amaryllis timing in the garden, I have some in the ground that flower every few years. Sending precipitating thoughts, Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hippeastrums in pots are often grown indoors, which hastens their blooms. I always keep mine outdoors and, even in our climate, temperatures may be cooler than they'd like. After a first go in a pot, I transplant them in the ground, which delays blooming even longer - it can be April before I see any blooms, if I see them at all. Those in the ground did better in my former garden than in my current one, probably because this one is so much drier.

      Delete
  7. Two beautiful vases. The Hippeastrum is quite lovely. I am potting mine soon for 2024 blooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for a lot more Hippeastrum blooms in the new year myself, Donna :)

      Delete
  8. Oh, I LOVE the 'Apricot Parfait' blooms...and the lavender/purple arrangement, too! You are always so creative with your combinations and choices for vases/vessels. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty happy with 'Apricot Parfait' too, Beth, although I admit to some guilt over cutting it so soon.

      Delete
  9. I love even just the name Apricot Parfait', and it certainly is beautiful. The lisianthus is lovely too and its vase is so striking. I think you've had more rain than we have in Chapel Hill. We had weather forecasts over the past weekend of rain and it was gray with occasional mist, but the bird bath was completely dry this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! I'm sorry you're struggling without rain too, Susie. Fingers crossed that the prospects for a good rainstorm improve for both of us in the coming weeks.

      Delete
  10. As always, you have have added the perfect foliage to your hippeastrum bloom, complementing it perfectly. And I do enjoy your 'blue' vases , especially when they include that lisianthus. Sorry to hear you are still short of rain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Leucadendron 'Jester'. The rain situation is maddening. Our temperature today is expected to reach 80F (26C) so the weather is really out of whack!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.