Wednesday, December 6, 2023

A Week of Flowers: Looking back at March & April 2023

I'm joining Cathy of Words and Herbs once again for the sixth day of her Week of Flowers series.  Spring usually arrives early in my part of coastal Southern California.  In 2023, in the midst of a really good rainy season, my garden exploded with blooms in March and April.  It was hard to winnow down the list of welcome flowers and, as you'll see, I was only partially successful there.

The bulbs starting blooming in earnest in March, beginning with the Freesias and Narcissi and following up with a host of others on their heels.

Freesia foliage has been developing in my garden since October.  The first flowers usually show up by February.  I've noticed that some colors tend to bloom earlier than others with a full complement on display by late March.

Narcissi roll out on a varied schedule beginning in March with a larger display in April.  Shown on the left is 'Beautiful Eyes' (Jonquilla type) and on the right is 'Geranium' (Tazetta type).

Scilla peruviana (aka Portuguese squill) was in full bloom by late March this year.  I'd planned to divide this clump but never got around to doing it and, as the foliage has already been up for 2 months now, I decided not to risk impacting the 2024 display.

Anemone coronaria (aka poppy anemones) are less predictable as to their bloom schedule.  Clockwise from the upper left are a blue variety which was supposed to be 'Lord Lieutenant' but wasn't, 'Mistral Bordeaux', 'Mount Everest', and what might have been 'Rarity'.  I planted new tubers this year, including another batch sold as 'Lord Lieutenant', and I'm curious as to whether the flowers will show the multiple petals that variety is known for this time.

I seem to buy more Dutch Iris every year, which is not to suggest that those I've planted in prior years died out - they haven't.  Those shown in the top row are 'Eye of the Tiger' and 'Pink Panther'.  Those in the second row are 'Mystic Beauty' and the ones in the third row are 'Sapphire Beauty'.  This year I've added 'Casa Blanca', 'Rosario', and 'Tiger Mix'.  There are some other varieties I can't immediately call to mind too.  It seems I have a Dutch Iris addiction.

I can't grow the large fancy tulips - I just can't give them the winter chill they need - but I've had some success with species tulips, specifically T. clusiana'Lady Jane' (left) and her cousin 'Cynthia' (right) have flowered in my garden every spring since I planted the bulbs in December 2019.


However, I can't limit the early spring parade to bulb flowers alone so here are three other standouts among the genera that commonly put on a good early spring show.

I've been growing Arctotis 'Pink Sugar' (bottom) for several years.  Last year I added Arctotis 'Large Marge' (top), which proved to be just as prolific.  I was sloppy about pruning both after they finished flowering this year and I can only hope that their recent trimming won't delay or limit blooms in the coming spring.

All but one of my Leucospermum (aka pincushion plants, members of the Protea family) bloomed last year.  The non-blooming shrub was pruned late.  I now have 5 of these shrubs.  The 2 shown here are 'High Gold' (top) and 'Spider Hybrid' (bottom).

Osteospermum prefers cool temperatures.  I've already had some blooms this fall but nothing like the spring display reflected in this collage.  I prefer the double-petaled varieties because, unlike the single-petaled types, they don't close in low light.  These are short-lived perennials and, although some self-seed freely, they don't always replicate the form of the original plants.


I promise that my list for the seventh day of the Week of Flowers series on Thursday will be shorter.  Check in with Cathy at Words and Herbs to see the flowers she's showing off.



All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


23 comments:

  1. What a nice treat on a gloomy day. It's easy to have an addiction to any iris. Unfortunately, Dutch iris are not hardy for me but I do have a number of rock garden species. Never apologize for having too many pics of beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to pay us a visit down this way, Elaine. While we've had very little rain at the start of our so-called rainy season, we're currently enjoying blue skies and temperatures in the low 70sF (22C). The Dutch Iris foliage is already up!

      Delete
  2. So many flowers to love here! I have a soft spot for Leucospermum, which we used to grow on when we lived in the Canaries and miss now we are in Cambridge. Allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, such a lovely selection for us. I can almost feel the Spring warmth from these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually unseasonably warm here even now in early December. At least the nights are on the cool end of the spectrum so plant stress is minimal.

      Delete
  4. Lots of beautiful color. With most of the garden here looking kind of sleepy and tired at the moment, the vigor of spring makes quite a contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's almost startling to look back at photos of spring's bounty!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful bounty. The cross section of plants you are able to grow with limited water is fantastic. No worries about the lack of tulips! Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a greedy gardener, Amelia. I want to grow every beautiful thing I see!

      Delete
  6. A wonderful post Kris! It's so lovely seeing all your spring flowers together like this. I especially like that pink and orange Arctotis! Your Dutch irises also appeal to me and after seeing several irises on other posts this week I can't wait till spring to plant more! Osteospermums are sold as annuals for summer containers here, but I have never seen so many different sorts! Thanks for sharing - I really enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arctotis 'Pink Sugar' has a lot of fans, Cathy ;) Osteospermums are usually advertised as annuals even here but they're short-lived perennials if given a bit of care during the hot summer season when floral production comes to a stop. Many self-seed too but the hybrid, double-petaled varieties often don't return in the same form.

      Delete
  7. What a fabulous show of flowers in your garden in early spring Kris. I will return to linger over your other 'A Week Of Flowers' posts soon. I'm bewitched by your anemone coronaria 'Mistral Bordeaux' flowers and have added it to my wish list 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to find the 'Mistral Bordeaux' anemones sold as tubers, Anna. I got mine as potted plants when I fell for that color. All my others were grown from tubers.

      Delete
  8. OMG, so yummy! what a sight to behold! I love the freesia, anemones and osteospermum especially, simply wonderful. 💕 Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already looking forward to seeing plants in all 3 of those genera in bloom by late March, Eliza.

      Delete
  9. I see some Osteospermum amid your collection that I grow here. And I know my climate is good for Proteas - aren't they stunning? Your garden looks magical. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the plants in the Protea family, Joanne. I've only got one in the Protea species (so far) but I've got too many Grevilleas and Leucadendrons to count and I'm up to 5 Leucospermums. If only I had more room ;)

      Delete
  10. The Leucospermums are my favorite of this group because they are so unusual ( to me at least), but some of those Osteospermums are pretty cool too. I really like the white one with the double purple center.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten addicted to Leucospermums. I've got 5 now and, if they didn't get so large, I'd probably have more.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.