Wednesday, April 6, 2022

The fire is out

Last Wednesday, I published a post focused on the unmanageable growth of a Euphorbia tirucalli 'Sticks on Fire' I'd planted in a strawberry pot back in 2012.  

I'd cut the Euphorbia back many times over the years, briefly shortening its height on each occasion while inevitably causing it to bush out further

After deciding that the plant had overstayed its welcome in my cutting garden, I tackled its removal.  Partway in, I began asking myself if I really wanted it out but I persevered.  As expected it was a messy job.

I wore elbow-length garden gloves and avoided the milky sap released by the plant with every cut as best I could.  This was what it looked like when I finished my first pass at cutting it back.

I created separate piles of small-to-medium cuttings and large cuttings but much of what I cut went into a green bin for recycling

A close look at the pot showed that it was riddled with deep cracks

While I did a grocery run on Saturday, my husband went to work breaking up the pot and pulling out the rest of the plant.  Interestingly, although the pot was broken in many places by the plant's sheer girth, he told me that it hadn't actually rooted itself in the ground below the pot.

This is the area after my husband pulled up the plant and the remnants of the broken pot

I'd initially hoped I could leave the Aeonium haworthii 'Kiwi' plants surrounding the pot in place, although I had to remove those growing out of the side pockets of the strawberry pot (cuttings shown on the left).  However, the remaining plants didn't look great once the pot was out so I took cuttings of those too (shown in the bucket on the right), clearing the rest of the space.

I was surprised to find massive roots in the area.  These weren't roots of the Euphorbia.  My guess is that they're an extension of the Pandorea jasminoides vine situated some 8-10 feet away, another plant I inherited with the garden.

When cleared, I discovered that there was a drip irrigation bubbler in the middle of the area I hadn't remembered was there

I'd briefly considered putting a half-barrel in the empty spot but that would have required removing or capping the drip irrigation pipe that fed that bubbler so I returned to my original plan of moving a large terracotta pot there.  Moving the pot frees up space for another barrel alongside the two I already have on the west side of the cutting garden.

I moved the pot and planted some of the Aeonium cuttings around it.  Last year, I planted Dahlia 'Akita' in this pot and may do so again when one of the 2 tubers I saved produces a sprout in its temporary pot.

I put the Aeonium 'Kiwi' cuttings I had no use for on the street as another neighborhood giveaway.

Two of these pots (each containing a dozen or more cuttings) were already gone when I checked 2 hours later and I won't be surprised if the 2 remaining pots are gone by morning

 

So one problem dealt with!  However, yesterday, as I headed out to meet my jury service obligation, I noticed another little problem.

This was what was left of a Clianthus puniceus 'Flamingo Pink' I'd planted in March.  I don't know why I thought the rabbits wouldn't bother it.

I'd taken this photo in late March, not for the purpose of showing the Clianthus on the right but rather to show Gomphrena 'Itsy Bitsy' (left) as she recovers from the severed pruning I gave the plant in late winter.  However, this may end up being the one and only photo of the Clianthus with foliage.

I caged the plant in the late afternoon once I'd been released from jury service

Whether the Clianthus has any chance of recovery is anybody's guess.  Win one, lose one - that's often the story of gardening, isn't it?


All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

16 comments:

  1. My heart skipped a beat when I saw your headline on my blog feed but happy to see that it wasn't a real fire! The planting looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to alarm you, Phillip! As it is, we've got another heatwave going on here so fire is unfortunately a distinct possibility but the title was simply intended to link back to my earlier post.

      Delete
  2. You've been so busy, as always, and it looks great. How nice to discover the drip irrigation system. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The raised planters in my cutting garden came with a drip irrigation system but the area with the strawberry pot has been covered for so long I didn't recall there was a bubbler there, Beth. Yesterday, I tried to determine whether the areas next to the other 2 raised planters have the same setup but, as far as I can determine without digging out the contents of those areas, it appears they do not.

      Delete
  3. Your neighbours score some great plants - I bet they keep an eye out for your regular offerings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least one neighbor has admitted as much to me, Horticat. She even said she had an arrangement with another neighbor to pick up succulents on the other's behalf.

      Delete
  4. My question: Are you missing 'Sticks on Fire' yet???

    Seriously, you did what I would have done. Change is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't counted the clumps of 'Sticks on Fire' I have elsewhere, Gerhard, but there are at least 6 that I can think of off the top of my head and at least 2 of those have already reached a substantial size ;)

      Delete
  5. It's mind-boggling to think that the 'Sticks of Fire' managed to crack such a big pot. I know taking it out has been on your mind for a while - I bet it feels great to finally be done with it. I bet it took full advantage of that irrigation while there - LOL! The new planting looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw the drip irrigation bubbler, I assumed that had helped the Euphorbia become a monster but my husband said the bottom of the pot was intact when he pulled the plant out and the plant's roots hadn't extended into the soil underneath! In any case, I'm glad to have it out - and I plan to watch the growth of the other 'Sticks on Fire' in my garden more warily now.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! It's such a good feeling when we actually tackle something that's been on our mind for a long time. And then we often wonder why it took us so long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. It was easy to live with the plant for quite awhile - it was pretty and required nothing of me to thrive. But when I found it couldn't be pruned into submission, that was it!

      Delete
  7. They are tough to work on--that sap! Quite a job. I sympathize.

    I did mine last year. It's proven to be a surprisingly good support for Clematis of all things. Who would have thought? Next year must try it as support for sweet peas.

    Poor little Clianthus! I hope it recovers for you. Blankety-blank rodents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit it'd never occur to me to use 'Sticks on Fire' as a support for other plants! The Clianthus was a disappointment - I don't know why I didn't realize it was at risk given that the rabbits are already very active here.

      Delete
  8. Sorry about your Clianthus, rodents (and deer) can make me feel quite murderous! I know technically, it is we who are invading their territory, but darn-it!
    Bet you feel good have done the deed on the SOF... I like the new trim look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'Sticks on Fire' are best mixed in with other succulents, I think. I still have my fingers crossed that the Clianthus will recover, even though it looks very sad at present.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.