Friday, April 1, 2022

Wide Shots - April 2022

On my regular quarterly schedule, I made a few rounds of the house with my camera in hand to capture the broad views of my garden usually missed in my posts.  The photos were taken at various times over the course of a few days in the hope of capturing different areas of the garden in the clearest light possible.

Here we go, starting in the back garden.

View from the back door Looking toward the Port of Los Angeles in the distance.  The Dutch Iris are blooming along with Echium webbii in the area surrounding the fountain. The Freesias along the pathway on the right are finishing up their seasonal display.

View from the back patio area looking north.  My biggest headache with this area concerns the tree-like Leucadendron 'Pisa' on the left, which needs pruning that isn't easy to perform without damaging the surrounding succulents and Acacia 'Cousin Itt'.

View from the north end of the back garden looking back in the direction of the patio.  The succulent bed I planted late last year (foreground) is coming along fairly well despite regular digging operations on the part of visiting possums.

View from the patio area looking south.  The wire cloches are protecting selected plants from the attention of rabbits, which I've recently spotted in the garden.  The local coyotes cull their numbers over the course of the spring season.

View from the small south-end patio looking roughly northeast

View from the south end of the back garden looking back in the direction of the main patio.  Note how nicely the Ginkgo tree in the distance is leafing out!  The upturned black plastic flats (foreground) are protecting certain areas of the garden from the possum patrol, currently working a nightly schedule.

Pivoting to the left, we move into the south side garden. 

This is the south side garden looking west.  Leucospermums 'Goldie' and 'Sunrise' are in full bloom.  Last year the squirrels took to "harvesting" 'Goldie's' flowers, which apparently have nut-like centers so I'm watching for that (not that there's much I can do about it).

Looking south from the south-side patio

Southeast view of the same area

 

Next up is the main level of the front garden, starting on the south end. 

View looking north in the direction of the garage.  Echium candicans 'Star of Madeira' (middle, left) hasn't quite reached bloom stage.  On the other hand, Grevillea 'Superb' (far right) is always in bloom.  I dug out the woody Centaurea 'Silver Feather' that formerly dominated the area on the left, replacing it with 2 rooted cuttings of the same plant.  The Pennisetum advena 'Rubrum' here and elsewhere in the garden have received their annual haircuts.

View from the area encircling the Magnolia tree looking back toward the south end.  The structure in the background on the right is my lath (shade) house, which is situated on the lower level of the front garden.  I sowed nasturtium seeds for flowers, now blooming, to echo those of  Grevillea 'Superb'.

View from the front door area looking roughly southwest

South side of the front garden viewed from the driveway

Before we take a look at the rest of the front garden's main level, we'll take a detour down the path between the area shown in the last photo and the hedge that lines the street to check out the lower level of the front garden on the southwest corner of the property. 

The dirt path leads to the lath house.  The moss growing along the path had just about disappeared before Monday's rainstorm but it may make a brief comeback in response to the 0.72/inch (18mm) of rain we received.

This is view of the area surrounding the lath house (just outside the frame of the photo on the right) looking east

View of the sloped area I replanted in November/December 2020 after gophers built a large den underneath it, destroying an expanse of plants in the process.  The succulents I planted, many of which were cuttings and pups of plants I had on hand, are taking their time bulking up.


Retracing our steps along the dirt path brings us back to the driveway at the front of the house. 


Area on the north side of the front walkway.  The gardeners, whose primary job is to shear our hedges, apparently decided to treat Coleonema 'Sunset Gold' as a hedge, much to my dismay.

View from the far side of the driveway near the garage looking southeast

This is the garden area on the west side of the driveway and garage.  It was partially replanted earlier this year.  The pineapple guava tree (Feijoa sellowiana, on the right next to the hedge) has just begun to bloom.

This succulent bed sits on the north side of the garbage bin path.  Despite several attempts, I've yet to pull this area together.  Some of the Mangaves I've placed here are doing fine, while others are barely hanging on.  In addition, the smaller succulents I'd hoped would fill out to serve as ground covers haven't lived up to my expectations.  I need a new plan.

On the other (east) side of the garage is the cutting garden and the gate in that area leads to the north side garden. 

I addressed the cutting garden in two recent posts, which you can find here and here

This is the dry north-side garden.  I'm currently eyeing the mass of not-so-prostrate rosemary on the left for partial removal to clear the way for more interesting plants.  Even if I took it all out, there'd be no shortage of rosemary in the garden.

 

This is where I'll end the tour for now.  I skipped two areas of my garden in this post.  The first is the back slope, which lies at the end of the gravel path you see in the last photo.  The slope is briefly at its best in April so I'm going to give it separate coverage within the next week or two.  I've also skipped the street-side succulent bed, mainly because my neighbors are having work done on their house and at the moment you can't see the area for all the cars parked in front of it.  As I've started a minor cleanup there, I expect I'll cover that area in a separate post at a later time as well.  Meanwhile, I'm on-call for jury duty next week (and possible beyond) so I don't know what I may be doing in the garden next week.


All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

18 comments:

  1. Your wide shots are always so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If only they didn't always point out areas I need to work on ;)

      Delete
  2. All the shots of your garden have something of new and different interest. I have always loved the shot looking over LA with the bird bath. Plants are wonderful but the odd feature here and there makes the eye rest for a moment instead of looking beyond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny. That view from the back door is one of my favorites too, even when Echium webbii's floral spires are obscuring the view of the harbor somewhat, as they are at the moment.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful views in every direction Kris. And everywhere you look, there is something green and blooming. I can hardly wait until that day arrives here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure spring will arrive with a bang in your area once Mother Nature gives the all clear!

      Delete
  4. I got it to work!!! Now I can talk to you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry the Blogger was throwing up obstacles, Cindy, but thanks for persevering.

      Delete
  5. Those people with hedge shears need a good talking to. The HOA guys here shaved and re-shave the streetside Coleonemas into meatballs. They are careful to time their shearings to take off all the flowers, too. Sigh. Men and power tools...

    Your garden looks wonderfully lush, yet tidy. Shows all the dedication, thought, and effort you put into it.

    I think that December soaking our region got did the plants so much good. They had a long stretch of moist soil to get them going in March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frustrating problem with the garden service is that the staff turn over so regularly, making my discussions with them for naught more often than not. They shave anything remotely like a foundation shrub into a flat-topped rectangle, even if it's nowhere near the house. The guy who owned the service did a decent job of monitoring but sadly he passed away from COVID in 2021 so there's no regular onsite supervision anymore.

      Delete
  6. I think everything looks fabulous, Kris. Bet that rain was welcomed by the plants. I always love your wide-shot posts as we get to see all the garden at once! Looks nice and sunny there, something in short supply here of late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually pretty dismal here from Thursday through the weekend, Eliza, but sadly the gray skies didn't bring us any rain. We're heading into another early heatwave later this week.

      Delete
  7. The garden is looking fantastic Chris. All your hard work really shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine. It's an endless process, as I suspect you know.

      Delete
  8. Everything looks great Kris, your care and attention shows and it’s nice to see an overview of everything through these wide shots.

    I love your flagstone paths. Did you do a post on how you created them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I published a number of posts on the removal of the lawn areas that came with the house and the installation of the flagstone paths, most of which was done in 2015 and 2016. Here's one post for reference: https://krispgarden.blogspot.com/2015/11/lawn-removal-progress-report.html

      Delete
  9. Thanks for that Kris, look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should disclose that my husband did the majority of the heavy lifting in the flagstone placements. At the time of installation we tried to level each stone but many have sunken a bit overtime :)

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.