Friday, April 8, 2022

Too hot to do much of anything

Last week was very cool and we even got some rain.  This week, it's gotten summer-hot with temperatures soaring above 90F (32C) on Wednesday and creeping still higher yesterday.  Our humidity level also dropped dramatically as our dreaded Santa Ana winds moved in.


I got as much as possible done in the garden during the morning hours before calling it quits at 11am.  That included watering all the plants in and around my lath (shade) house.  There wasn't much worth sharing there; however, I took time to cut a few 'Golden Celebration' roses behind the lath house to bring inside.  Some were already withering and, as the heat isn't expected to abate until Saturday, the blooms are likely to last longer in a vase than outside.

We can call this "In a Vase on Friday"

The contents included Argyranthemum 'White Butterfly' (shown with foliage of Agonis flexuosa 'Nana'), Rosa 'Golden Celebration', and noID Ixia (aka African corn lilies)

I also noted how nicely one of the succulent containers I planted in January is coming along.

I planted the pot on the left in late January.  It includes Crassula capitella, Echeveria parva, Graptoveria 'Fred Ives', and G. 'Debbie'.  The photo on the right shows the same pot as it looked yesterday.

A friend recently gave me a small birdbath she no longer had a place for on her patio.  I decided to turn it into a planter.  On a trip to my local garden center on Wednesday to pick up planting mix and worm castings, I picked up a few succulents with the birdbath in mind so I planted that up yesterday morning too.

My husband drilled a hole in the basin of the birdbath and another at the bottom of its pedestal

The converted birdbath holds 3 Echeveria 'New Black', 3 Peperomia 'Ferreyrae' and 2 Peperomia graveolens


I finished up general deadheading of the growing number of flowers giving in to the heat and got the last of our green waste in our green bins for pickup.  This week, for the first time, that included more than just the usual garden clippings.  California enacted a law requiring organic waste collection in an effort to combat climate change by limiting the elements that contribute to greenhouse gas emissions historically dumped into landfills.  The law took effect  in January but communities were left to work with local waste collection agencies to develop implementation plans appropriate for their areas.  The plan for my area was implemented on April 1st.  We received two brochures on the subject, the last one providing the greatest detail.

These are just 3 pages of the 8-page brochure.  Among other things, the brochure dealt with the "yuck" factor involved in collecting some food waste like meat, dairy products and spoiled food.

 

I've been collecting vegetable, fruit and similar kitchen waste since my husband built me compost bins in 2020 but the new organics recycling requirements allow us to recycle meat, bread, pasta and other things I'd never add to my compost bins by throwing them into the city's green bins, something that wasn't previously permitted.  Some of our most common waste, the cat's uneaten wet and dry food, can now be included in the city's green bins, for example.  (I confirmed this directly with the waste management service as it wasn't specifically mentioned in the brochure.) 

I empty the small container on the kitchen counter (left) into my compost bin once or twice a day.  We now spoon our "yuck" waste into the washable plastic containers shown on the right and place these in the freezer until the contents can be dumped in our green bins on our weekly waste pickup day.

 It's really not much of a hassle at all and I'm very pleased that California has taken this step.  I hope other states will implement similar programs, if they don't already have them in place.


All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

11 comments:

  1. Here in Portland we've been adding our food waste (including the yucks) to our green bins for quite awhile now. It just makes sense doesn't it? As for your heat, we hit 75 yesterday, warm for us at this point... it was wonderful. I found myself thinking of last summers 116 and hoping that doesn't repeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The upper 60s to mid-70s is a great range for garden activities. We hit 96F earlier today and we're still in the low 90s with humidity down to 10%. I don't like an extended blast of air-conditioning so I went outside to deadhead what was withering in place but I could only take it for half an hour. Even those of us used to summer heat, need a little time to acclimate to it but Mother Nature just flipped the switch to the full-on position :(

      Delete
  2. Lovely 'Golden Celebration'. Mine is all toasted after today. 102F here.

    We're doing the same thing here with the ick waste--freezing it in a plastic tub then putting it in the greenwaste bin just before the truck arrives. Bread--I compost that myself--no problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 102! That's truly awful - we peaked at 96 yesterday. It's definitely cooler today, if still on the warm side for the season. I hope we descend back into the 60s as forecast in the coming week but I'm not ready to believe there's any real likelihood of rain on Tuesday.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry it's so hot already. Not a good thing when the whole summer lies ahead. We've been very cold with some nights in the 20's and yesterday was the coldest I ever thought 40 could feel. 50 degrees difference between us. Unfortunately, when we have these cold springs, they usually go right into hot, but what can we do except make the most of it?
    I love how you planted up the birdbath. Perfect for your succulents, alters the height, and pleases the eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sympathy with our heatwave situation and for your kind comments on the birdbath planter, Cindy. I'm sorry you're still contending with cold temperatures - the weather appears more extreme with every passing year, even if those extremes manifest in different ways in different areas.

      Delete
  4. Interessante l'unione tra la società di raccolta rifiuti e la comunità, un esempio da seguire ovunque!

    Il caldo così spero arrivi il più tardi possibile qui :D

    Ti auguro una buona settimana :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The State of California required the introduction of organics recycling, which was great, but it is also a good thing that they allowed individual communities to tailor the implementation to local circumstances.

      I hope you can avoid the high temperatures in spring that we got, Gabriel!

      Delete
  5. Those roses are truly beautiful!

    We're having a rather milk winter, although we have had a bit of frost, a dusting of snow and a fair bit of rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleased to see the roses of 'Golden Celebration', Nikki, as they produced few if any blooms last year. I wish I cut the blooms before some of them fried in the heat, though!

      I envy you the rain. Even though we've had nearly double the amount we got during the 2021 "water year," our rainfall is still well short of "normal."

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.