Monday, April 4, 2022

In a Vase on Monday: Before the weather changes (again)

We got 0.72/inch (18mm) of rain last Monday, which wasn't bad by current standards.  Some people in the surrounding area got significantly more but, as two of my rain barrels are now full and the largest is three-quarters full, I was satisfied.  At present, it seems fairly certain that was the end of our rainy season.  Although cool temperatures held on into the weekend and we had more gray skies than blue, we didn't see any more rain.  By the middle of this week we're expecting another reversion to warmer-than-normal temperatures.  Even though I can see the ocean from our back garden, we typically don't get cool ocean breezes on our side of the peninsula.  Our temperatures tend to track more closely with temperatures in downtown Los Angeles, which next week could reach into the 90sF (32C).

Based on the expected temperature shift, I cut things I otherwise might have let sit awhile, starting with the pink Alstroemeria stems that appeared en masse following last week's rain.

As usual, I got carried away cutting flowers.  As a result the arrangement ended up a lot busier than I'd intended it to be.

The back view is somewhat less congested

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: noID Alstroemeria, Centranthus ruber, C. 'Albus', noID Antirrhinum majus, noID Ixia, Leptospermum scoparium 'Pink Pearl', and Pelargonium 'Lady Plymouth'

 

As the pink arrangement was very busy, I decided not to include the stems of two other flowers I'd originally cut for that vase, choosing instead to use them to replace the former contents of the small vase that sits atop our kitchen island.

This simple arrangement of just Abelia 'Chiapas' and Anemone coronaria 'Admiral' may be my personal favorite this week.  The Abelia's scent is strong but not cloying.  I took several cuttings of the Mexican Abelia last week in the hope of getting more of these plants, which I haven't seen anywhere since I purchased mine online in early 2012.

 

For my second arrangement, I recycled the two peach-colored foxglove stems I cut last week.  They still look good and this time I was able to pair them with the roses I'd originally hoped to use last week.  I didn't want to count on the slim possibility that the roses will hold up to a sudden shift to summer-like temperatures.

The 'Medallion' rose buds remained firmly closed last week but opened following Monday's rain.  This rose, like most in my small rose collection, came with the garden.

Back view: In addition to the foxglove stems, I was able to reuse some of last week's Heuchera maxima stems.  Most Heuchera with flashy foliage color don't hold up well in my garden but this California native with plain green foliage is tougher than the others by far.

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Digitalis purpurea 'Dalmatian Peach', Cuphea 'Honeybells', Heuchera maxima, Argyranthemum frutescens 'White Butterfly', Ranunculus 'Salmon', Tulipa clusiana 'Cynthia', and Rosa 'Medallion'

 

In addition to the Digitalis and Heuchera flowers, I recycled a few other flowers from last week's "challenge" arrangement for a simplified fourth arrangement.

Stems of Abelia 'Kaleidoscope', Argyranthemum 'White Butterfly', and Leucospermum 'Goldie' occupy a vase in my home office

For more IAVOM posts, check in with Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  I start jury duty this morning so I may be delayed in following up with other IAVOM contributors this week but I'll get to that when I can.


 

All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


22 comments:

  1. Everything is pretty in pink today. I want the Abelia. Amazing to have foxglove and roses at the same time, amazing to me anyway. Glad you got some rain. The skies are threatening here today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen that Abelia anywhere since I bought the one plant by mail order in early 2012. Does Florida allow plants to be mailed from California without inspection? If so, and my cuttings take, I could try sending you one, Amelia.

      Delete
  2. It will be no consolation taht we only had about 22mm of rain in March - but we haven't had temperatures like yours!! That overhead view of your first vase is gorgeous - what lovely pinks you have included. And it's always intriguing when you include plants that I recognise but of course would not be flowering at this time of year, and there were more than usual in your vases today. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it alarms me to learn that drought is taking hold in other parts of the world too, Cathy, even if the differences in the severity is substantial from location to location. Water is becoming a more and more precious commodity the world over it seems.

      Delete
  3. Oh the contents of your magnificent vases are like fast forwarding to our summer Kris 😂 Our average March rainfall is about 64mm. I'm not sure how much we had this year but perhaps less than average. I'm sure that all your flowers were singing in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the long-term forecasts suggest there isn't any more rain on the horizon here for the balance of this "water year" (measured from October 1, 2021 through September 30,2022). Our total currently stands at 7.7 inches (196mm)for the water year. The only positive thing I can say is that's better than the previous year.

      Delete
  4. Very flowery! You got a good rain, too-that's great.

    Dreading the predicted heat wave this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These heatwaves, even if they are of short duration, are getting tiresome!

      Delete
  5. So pretty...I love the pink and cranberry colors and of course, peachy colors are always a favorite. I can't believe you'll be seeing 90s! We are barely reaching 50 for highs, though next week is supposed to be in the upper 60s. We'll see! At least my crocus are blooming now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're having a hard time believing we'll see temperatures in the 90s too, Eliza, even though these short-term heatwaves seem to have become part of the "new normal" this year. Our temperatures over the weekend peaked in the upper 50s. The whiplash changes are downright weird.

      Delete
  6. It's a beautiful floral abundance! I hope your temperatures don't soar quite that high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today's forecast suggests that temperatures could get as high as 96F! I hope the morning marine layer buffers us - it's still hanging out here today.

      Delete
  7. Love these arrangements. The Alstroemeria is amazing. Do you find it spreads much? A gardener told me here she once had to dig up a whole bed because it had become a problem, but the time I tried it, it didn't live. The rose, ranunculus and foxglove coloring works so beautifully together. Sorry the heat is pressing in, but glad you've enjoyed a bit more rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most, perhaps all in fact, of the pink-flowered Alstroemeria came with the garden, Susie. In the past 10 years, I'd say it's spread a little but not even as much as I wish it would.

      Delete
  8. Your alstromeira is gorgeous! It is wonderful seeing Centranthus, tulips, ranunculus etc flowering all at the same time. I love the last vase too, which shows what can be done with bits and bobs from previous arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many flowering plants here like to bloom before the weather gets really hot, Cathy! Some go underground when the temperatures soar, which seems likely to happen especially early this year.

      Delete
  9. You are so lucky to have a suffienctly large garden and the skill to grow this extensive range of flowers. The climate obviously helps and you have skilfully brought them together in three great vases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do count myself lucky, Noelle, except with respect to rainfall, which borders on pitiful.

      Delete
  10. Oh Kris they are all stunning but I adore that first pink vase! Wow! We are still struggling to have spring and you are about to heat up. I am hoping the weather predictions are the same for us and that we warm up a bit more. Wishing you a bit more more rain and not so hot temps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. We had a little bit of a marine layer this morning, which I hope will prevent us from reaching the 92F predicted for Los Angeles today. We're sitting just above 80F as the noon hour nears.

      Delete
  11. Pretty as a picture! I like how the variegated geranium echoes the two toned alstroemerias. And that leptospermum is a sweetie. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Leptospermum 'Pink Pearl' but my 2 shrubs were looking disturbingly sad until shortly after the last rain, when they literally exploded with blooms.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.