On Wednesday, I published a post on a few small garden projects, including one that involved the removal of several rosemary shrubs on the south end of my back garden. I initially planned to leave the area I'd cleared bare until fall arrives but patience isn't one of my strongest traits. In short order, I decided to go ahead with an interim strategy, which resulted in the purchase of another Abelia 'Kaleidoscope' and fourteen small Zinnias. These went into the ground late yesterday afternoon.
In the same post, I floated the possibility to getting rid of the over-stuffed strawberry pot containing a large Euphorbia tirucalli 'Sticks on Fire', which caused some commentators to express concern. I admit that it's an attractive plant. I considered moving it but I've already got cuttings of that same plant spread throughout my garden. (In fact, if you look at the last photo above, you can see two of these in the succulent area in the distance on the left.) So, I elected an interim strategy to deal with the strawberry pot as well.
|I cut the Euphorbia back (again). The before photo is on the left and the after photo is on the right. In addition to diminishing its height and girth, this gives Dahlia 'Rip City' in the raised planter next to it more sun.|
I haven't dealt with the mass of Centaurea 'Silver Feather' yet but, while we're addressing the cutting garden, here are photos of the first two dahlia blooms to open there. I planted most of my dahlia tubers a good six weeks later this year than last year but they're on their way at last!
|This is Dahlia 'Sellwood Glory', the first to open|
|This is 'Mr Optimist', which opened on the heels of 'Sellwood Glory'|
Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable weekend.
All material © 2012-2020 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party