Saturday, August 15, 2020

Bloom Day - August 2020

Until this week, I'd been exclaiming over what a comfortable summer we've been enjoying in my area of coastal Southern California.  This week, the thermostat has been turned up and each day has been getting more toasty.  Forecasters say this heatwave is going to be with us for awhile.  With the heat on, I've confined my garden activity to early morning rounds delivering extra water to bolster sensitive plants - and taking photos for this Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day post.

I'll start with this month's star performers.

This is Amaryllis belladonna, also called the naked lady because the flowers bloom well after the foliage has died back.  Tammy of Casa Mariposa kindly sent me a couple dozen of these bulbs back in 2015 after she decided they weren't a good fit in her Virginia garden.  They're having their best year ever here.

This is a white Amaryllis belladonna from the same shipment.  They're somewhat more unusual it seems.

I got yet another flush of flowers from Callistemon 'Cane's Hybrid' this month.  As soon as the heat turned up this week, they started fading from this lovely peachy-pink to dusty beige.

This is Crassula pubescens.  It flowers later than the yellow-flowered variety with smaller leaves but it has almost as much impact in my succulent beds.  I've discovered that the flower stems are great in arrangements too.

Cuphea 'Vermillionaire' just keeps on flowering

Ditto for Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun'

This combination of orange and yellow Lantana has been blooming buoyantly for a good month

One border in my back garden is dominated by this variegated Lantana 'Samantha'

Symphyotrichum chilense, aka California aster, is something of an out-of-control monster, but it's pretty even so

I've come to love this hybrid of California's native woolly blue curls, Trichostema 'Midnight Magic'


Last year, Dahlias were the headliners of my August post but this year they're only just getting started.  This is entirely my fault, as I planted my tubers a good six weeks later on average than I did last year.  I'm including the few blooms I have thus far with the other recent arrivals.

The first and second Dahlias to bloom were 'Sellwood Glory' (left) and 'Mr Optimist' (right)

Dahlias 'Enchantress' (left) and 'Labyrinth' (right) didn't quite make full bloom status in time for their Bloom Day portraits yesterday but I expect they'll be in full flower later today

Most of my Agapanthus are early summer bloomers.  I added five bulbs of Agapanthus 'Stevie's Wonder' last year and two of those produced their first blooms this month.  The flowers are a deeper blue than any of those I inherited with the garden.

I didn't get around to sowing any Cosmos seeds until July but I bought a six-pack of white Cosmos bipinnatus to provide a supply of those blooms as the seedlings grow

I saw this plant out of the corner of my eye on my last trip to the garden center and found I couldn't leave without it.  This is Cuphea ramossima 'Pink Shimmer'.  The flowers are truly tiny.

I planted Gladiolus in my cutting garden this year after finding the corms on a last-chance sale.  These are 'Green Star' (left) and 'Vuvuzela' (right).

I've killed Grevillea 'Moonlight' twice before.  This one, planted in early March, seems happy.

Rudbeckia hirta 'Sahara' was purchased by mail order in July

Pennisetum advena 'Rubrum' came with the garden.  It's starting its summer/fall bloom phase.

I planted several packs of Zinnia plugs in July to provide a quick splash of color on the south end of my garden but the seed-sown plants in my cutting garden are finally starting to bloom too.  The large photo in this collage features Zinnia elegans 'Queen Lime Blush'.


I had a few surprises too, which deserve special notice.

I fell in love with Coreopsis 'Redshift' in 2012 and planted several in various areas of the garden.  This plant in the back border is the only one that survived.

This unnamed Crocosmia popped up, seemingly out of nowhere, belatedly reminding me that I'd planted a dozen bulbs a few years ago.  This is the first to ever make an appearance.

I planted  a huge bulb of Drimia maritima, aka sea squill, on our back slope last year.  The foliage died down in March and it's producing its first bloom spike now.  The bloom hasn't flushed out yet and I hope I don't miss it when it does.  Although I've never discovered their nest, there are fire ants down there and, when I checked on the Drimia earlier this week, I got stung (again).  I suited up in protective gear to get this photo yesterday morning.


As has become my practice, I'll close with the best of the rest, organized in collages by color.

Clockwise from upper left: Erigeron glaucus 'Wayne Broderick', blue and lavender Eustoma grandiflorum, Plectranthus neochilus, Salvia canariensis var candidissima, and Salvia x jamensis 'Ignition Purple'

From the upper left: Pandorea jasminoides, Achillea ptarmica 'Peter Cottontail', Coriandrum sativum, Eustoma grandiflorum, Magnolia grandiflora, Mimulus bifidus, and Tanacetum parthenium 'Aureum'

From the upper left: Achillea 'Moonshine', self-sown Gazania, noID Phalaenopsis, and Rudbeckia hirta 'Denver Daisy'

From the upper left: Grevillea 'Peaches & Cream', G. 'Superb', Hemerocallis 'Persian Market', Hesperaloe parviflora 'Brakelights', Echinacea 'Cheyenne Spirit', Lantana 'Irene', and Russelia 'Flamingo Park'

From the upper left: Leucadendron 'Summer Red', self-sown Amaranthus, Grevillea 'Ned Kelly', Penstemon mexicali 'Mini-bells Red', and Pelargonium peltatum 'Burgundy'

Top row: Alstroemeria 'Inca Vienna', Bauhinia x blakeana, and Cuphea 'Starfire Pink'
Middle row: Eustoma grandiflorum, Gomphrena 'Itsy Bitsy', and Fuchsia 'Old Berkeley'
Bottom row: Osteospermum 'Berry White', Rosa 'Pink Meidiland, and Scabiosa columbaria


For more blooms, visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens.  


All material © 2012-2020 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


37 comments:

  1. A gift of 2 dozen Belladonna bulbs is a wonderful thing! The pink one, with what seems like Cuphea 'Vermillionaire' in the background make for a fetching photo. The pungent scent of mauled Lantana leafs is rooted deep in my childhood memory; I particularly love the variegated Lantana 'Samantha'. You seem to have huge number of blooming plants; thanks for the color coordinated collages, they are great. Zinnia elegans 'Queen Lime Blush' seems to steal the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cuphea behind the pink Amaryllis is another hybrid called 'Starfire Pink'. It's a vigorous plant like 'Vermillionaire' but the color is more subdued and, as it blooms year-round, I didn't list it among my stars because, well, always there in the garden.

      Delete
  2. What an August show your garden puts on! And congrats on the drimia flowers -- ouch, damn fire ants! I brought home that Pink Shimmer cuphea too from a table filled with other kinds of cuphea. Something about it just drew me in. I think the bees would revolt if my 'Moonlight' left the garden. They are all over it from before sunrise to at least 7:30 p.m., and butterflies and hummers visit too. Very intrigued by that hybrid Wooly Blue Curls -- blooming in August? Get out...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Pink Shimmer' really does live up to its name even though those flowers are tiny. The hummers here love Grevillea 'Peaches & Cream' and 'Superb' so I expect they'll be happy with 'Moonlight' when it really gets its bloom on. Trichostema 'Midnight Magic' is a fantastic plant - I wish I had more than the one. Deadheading it regularly seems to not only keep it tidy but also keep the blooms going.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful variety of blooms!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have so much in bloom. I like the way you present them in color waves. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the collages don't come off as an obnoxious touch, Lisa. They're useful to provide me with a photographic record of what's blooming when. Some of the flowers included there - like the Grevilleas, Gomphrena 'Itsy Bitsy' and Cuphea 'Starfire Pink' have copious blooms year-round - but featuring them as "stars" each month would be repetitive and boring.

      Delete
  5. Such a lot of color in your garden this month. 'Vuvuzela' gladiola is amazing. I'm getting heat too. 102 yesterday, they say 106 today. It had been getting cool at night (so much I needed socks in the morning), but last night never cooled. I've been running the hose all day. My water's cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We came close to the 100F mark today but never quite got there. I've been trying to do more deep watering in advance of the heat but I can already see it taking its toll on my plants.

      Delete
  6. So much to admire here. Both your glads are so pretty. Your naked ladies are not hardy where I live (upstate New York) nor are a number of the other perennials you grow, which makes my visit here more enjoyable. It's been a hotter than normal summer for us, too; just not as hot as the west is experiencing. Hope this heatwave is short for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My area has actually been very lucky in terms of weather until this week, Alana. The inland valleys and desert areas haven't fared as well, however, and the threat of wildfire hangs over all of us this time of year.

      Delete
  7. You have an amazing diversity of flowers for this time of year. It looks really lovely. Your cosmos are so colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That’s the first time I’ve heard of someone donning full PPE to take a bloom day photo. Although Mike got stung by one of the chimney bees again a couple of days ago so perhaps we should be doing likewise. As ever I scroll through your post with increasingly admiration. Coreopsis ‘Red Shift’ is something I often see advertised here. I think you just sold it. I hope the heat doesn’t do too much damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Full PPE isn't required, Jessica, but I do have to take precautions, which makes me think twice about making any trips down the back slope. Fire ants are very nasty creatures.

      Delete
  9. I used to have the naked ladies in my previous garden and I miss them. I haven't seen many around this area. I must investigate! That grevillea bloom is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled that I found the right place for Grevillea 'Moonlight' this time.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful flowers. Envious of a white A. belladonna. Must look for bulbs. The 'Queen Lime Blush' Zinnia is a wonderful combo of colors.
    Congrats on the Drimia flower.

    Stay cool in this heat. It's going to be a long week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already feeling a little stir crazy over the heat-related restrictions, HB. You take care too.

      Delete
  11. Love the Queen Lime Blush zinnia. What a beauty. Please don't send your heat this way. We're finally in for some cooler temps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your cooler temperatures hold fast, Cindy!

      Delete
  12. I must say your garden is a gift of nature . It would be my pleasure if you join my link up party related to Gardening here. http://jaipurgardening.blogspot.com/2020/08/garden-affair-link-up-party.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arun. I tried to link yesterday but the link was closed; however, I managed it today.

      Delete
    2. My link up party is open from every Saturday to Saturday so you can link whenever it is convenient for you in the week.

      Thank you for linking.

      Delete
  13. Kris-your gardens are always so beautiful and visiting them virtually always gives me a smile. Your Amaryllis and Zinnias are breathtaking as are all your combinations of colors and textures. We got that heat wave a few weeks ago and it was brutal. Is is now being followed by cooler temperatures and frequent rain showers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if only we could expect both cooler temperatures and showers to follow this extended heatwave, Lee! I expect the temperatures to come down eventually but, sadly, rain is unlikely until late October at the earliest.

      Delete
  14. Your flower collection never fails to impress Kris! I hope you get to see the Drimia maritima in its blooming glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gerhard says it took a couple of weeks for his bloom stalk to flower. I'll make another trip down there after the current heatwave abates, with full protective gear of course!

      Delete
  15. Beyond lovely, Kris. I do love your Bloom Day posts! :)
    I read up on fire ants, which blessedly don't survive in our climate and their bites sound awful!! I learned that researchers have found "phorid flies, in combination with baits and another naturally-occurring parasite called Thelohania solenopsae, are keeping fire ant numbers manageable." Just thought I'd pass that on. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fire ants sting rather than bite and some of those are awful. Just one of the stings was really bad this time. I looked up phorid flies but they sound pretty horrible too! I think I'll have to hope for some of that naturally occurring parasite.

      Delete
  16. Hi Kris :) Oh wow, your Amaryllis belladonna is just beautiful. What a nice soft pink! I love those zinnias. Your collages are stunning. I'm so envious of people who grow such beautiful flowers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rain. I'm afraid the current heatwave here put an end to the last of the Amaryllis belladonna but hopefully I'll get a display as good next year.

      Delete
  17. All fabulous, Kris and what an abundance of blooms defying the heat. As usual I really covet your grevilleas, I don't think I've seen'Moonlight' before. And I love that callistemon. I hope we get to see your Drimia maritima in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grevillea 'Moonlight' can get very tall, which poses challenges with respect to placement but hopefully I've finally found a spot where it can prosper. I searched long and hard for Callistemon 'Cane's Hybrid' before finding it in a garden center about 100 miles north of my home. I really don't understand why it's not more popular.

      Delete
  18. Ohhh your flowers are just astonishing. So much color and beauty. I am taken with the close up of the Zinnia. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is the first time I've grown that Zinnia but it seems to have won a lot of admirers.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.