Friday, November 2, 2018

Fire Management

For a few weeks now, I've been wondering what the heck I should do with the bountiful Euphorbia tirucalli 'Sticks on Fire' I have growing in a strawberry pot in my cutting garden.  Yesterday, I woke up with a plan: haul a pile of cuttings up to the succulent garden that sits at the entry to our neighborhood.

This large succulent bed on a slope sits at the entrance to our neighborhood just off the main road.  That big white structure on the other side of the main road may look like a government building of some kind but it's just someone's (very big) home.

I've no idea how that succulent garden came into being.  It was in place well before we moved in almost 8 years ago.  If I were to venture a guess, I'd say that no one designed it and that it came together as a collection of cast-off plants donated by neighbors.  No one takes any overall responsibility for it, although the homeowner's association now employs a garden service to tend it and my husband and a neighbor have repaired the irrigation system (several times).  Contributing cuttings from my garden struck me as a perfect use for my excess 'Sticks on Fire'.

After taking cuttings of the Euphorbia, I decided to throw in cuttings of Senecio vitalis and Aeonium arboreum from my garden as well


I enlisted my husband's assistance in getting the job done.

We planted half a dozen large cuttings of the Euphorbia and all the Senecio and Aeonium I'd cut but these contributions were swallowed up by the space, having relatively little impact

As you can see from this view atop the slope, the new additions aren't readily identifiable but hopefully they'll have more impact as they bulk up.  I can easily donate more cuttings later.


I didn't use all the 'Sticks in Fire' cuttings I'd taken from my plant as that seemed like overkill.  The excess is currently sitting along the street for anyone to take what they wish.



My 'Sticks on Fire' mother plant is a little shorter and not quite as wide but it seems only moderately diminished despite my removal of about 2 dozen large stems.

This plant appears to thrive in response to pruning.  I've used plenty of it throughout my own garden already.


After we finished planting, my husband took our tools back to the house while, camera in hand, I took a spin around the neighborhood.  I don't walk it as regularly as I used to but it doesn't change much from month to month or even season to season; however, a few things drew my notice.

One neighbor has replanted her driveway with Pittosporum tenuifolium, all of which is doing well (in marked contrast to the shrubs planted by a neighbor on our south side).  There's also a huge new house going up on the main road right behind this home.

The Bougainvillea along this slope lost all their colorful bracts following July's horrific heatwave when our temperature reached 110F but the plants have recovered and the whole slope, replanted last year, looks great despite our dry year

I'm in love with the colorful Cordyline planted along this slope

The ground cover in front of this property has been replaced with synthetic lawn.  It looks like getting fake grass to lie flat on a slope is difficult.

This home has recently gone on the market after a large-scale refurbishment.  A hedge of oleander and other plants formerly hid it from view but now the bones of the Spanish-style structure can be seen.  It's a large house on more than an acre.

The price made my eyes pop.  It'll be interesting to see if it sells for what the owners are asking.

My favorite neighborhood garden is looking well manicured but less colorful than usual.  That flat-topped tree in the upper center position in the photo caught my eye too as I don't remember a tree with that shape.

But then I noticed that all 3 of the Arbutus 'Marina' on the other side of the street also had flat-tops.  So maybe that's now a thing.


The most colorful front garden in the neighborhood right now is one I pass every time I leave the house.

The Bougainvillea framing this street-side succulent bed looks great

but so does the mass of Tagetes lemmonii and the noID ornamental grasses 


Unlike many areas of the country that have already received a visit from Jack Frost, it still feels much like summer here.  The nights are reliably cooler but the Santa Ana winds have kept our daytime temperatures on the high side.  And it remains very dry.  There's been no rain since the half inch we got in early October and there's nothing in the current forecast until late November.  The long-term forecasts for December and January aren't promising either, yet I remain hopeful that the weak El Niño predicted by NOAA will come through eventually.  Another year with rainfall less than 4 inches in total is just too awful to contemplate.

Best wishes for a wonderful weekend!


All material © 2012-2018 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

28 comments:

  1. Love seeing that tagetes given all the space it needs. And with a scarlet boug too! Wowsa....happy weekend, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's another house on my route down the hill that has used the Tagetes en masse like this but that's almost all there so it's dull when the plants aren't in bloom. The homeowners on my block do a better job with year-round interest.

      Delete
  2. It's great that your cuttings will be put to good use and everyone's enjoyment. Nice neighborhood, but I think you'd win the garden prize. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about that but it's kind of you to say so, Eliza.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed taking a tour around your neighbourhood, Kris. I can’t imagine laying fake lawn in preference to planting hardy shrubs, but each to his own, I realise. The last garden is certainly eye catching with its bright red and yellow. The community garden is a great idea and your cuttings will fill in some of those spaces beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the home with the fake lawn is a rental, which may account for the decision. It's so large a space, I found it jarring, especially with the wrinkles. I'm wondering how it'll hold up to El Nino rains, assuming we get any of those.

      Delete
  4. You definitely live in a different world. I whine and fuss about not getting 4" of rain per month. I am sure it is just a different mindset. Your area looks beautiful in that other worldly way. Your sticks plant is great. I have seen these for sale around here. I knew I would have to haul it inside every winter so haven't succumbed to the temptation. Love those big ole aeoniums that you donated. The bougainvillea is huge. The largest I have ever seen and so pretty in bloom. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our "normal" rain is about 15 inches per year, Lisa, with most of it delivered during the winter months. Last year is the worst I can personally recall but then I didn't start tracking it like I do now until we moved in here.

      Delete
  5. With apologies to the owners ,that fake lawn house is dreadful. I imagine that house is at least a mil or 2 in value, so why would you ruin your landscape like that ? They should take a lesson from the planting in your last photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a rental but now I'm not sure. Renter or owner, maybe the water bill was too high and the owner selected fake lawn as the easiest solution. I honestly can't remember precisely what was there before and I couldn't find any photos, which probably means that it was neither inspiring nor offensive. If it was my front garden, I'd terrace it and plant a mix of succulents and drought tolerant shrubs but I think even planting a solid mass of rosemary (as one of my other neighbors did on a back slope) would be preferable.

      Delete
  6. Your Sticks on Fire do amazingly well there with no freezes while mine will spend winter in the garage which holds it back a bit.

    The fake lawn looks like cheap carpet. I've seen some well done versions on tours here, but they are mostly used as a small patch where mowing is not practical. I think the idea works well in the right spot. Agreed, rosemary or a groundcover is better.

    I hope you get rain this season. I know you have made changes and tried to protect your plants but it's so difficult to imagine gardening without at least some rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - even my drought tolerant garden can't sustain itself long on rain as low as that we got last year. We're gearing up to do a kitchen remodel (provided the city eventually provides approval to bump out one wall 5 feet) but, if we're going to get Death Valley levels of rain each year, it may not make sense to stay here.

      Delete
    2. We are cautiously optimistic about our rain.
      Further up the East Coast, George and Knysna, we again have huge fires raging.

      Hope you get enough rain to encourage you to stay - it would be hard to leave that garden, and that view.

      Delete
    3. Sadly, we no longer have a fire "season" as we once did - it's a constant risk now, albeit heightened each time the Santa Ana winds blow. I hope the fires on your coast are brought under control soon, Diana.

      Delete
  7. Wow, that fake lawn is hideous! I love that you (and other people too, by the looks of things) have contributed plants to the neighborhood garden. Your free bucket of cuttings has me wondering about the Euphorbia sap. I'm pretty sure whenever I've cut E. tirucalli 'Sticks on Fire' it drips just like the other Euphorbia. How are you not left with a sticky bunch of goo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the Euphorbia cuttings drip like the substance is being bled out of them! I let them drip out on the gravel in my cutting garden for awhile. After an hour or so the cuts start to dry. I didn't put out the leftover cuttings (i.e. those I didn't use at the front entrance) until about 6pm that day, targeting the evening and early morning walkers so everyone should have been fine, and I did include a warning about the sap.

      Delete
  8. from Linda at Each Little World: I love that Sticks on Fire though I can't grow it. When it fills in it should really look terrific on that slope. Loved the look at the neighboring properties and plantings. But that fake grass is gross. Nothing could be that green during a drought. Anyone who would plant it is A. a control freak, B. has no ideas and must be a dead bore. Perhaps I am misreading their intent but I am doubting it is because they are so environmentally conscious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, Linda, there are a LOT of people here who have zero interest in gardens or plants, and who seem to be utterly oblivious to the concept of curb appeal (or, if I'm being more generous, maybe they've spent so much on the houses, they can't afford to do anything with the landscape). A number have done nothing at all with their front yards. If we get El Nino rains, I'm hoping the muddy mess will compel them to do something - even planting clover to cover the soil would be an improvement in at least 2 cases that come to mind.

      Delete
  9. Your donated sticks-on-fire will soon make an impact on that slope. Enjoyed your neighborhood tour. The flat-topped 'Marina's: uh-oh, is there another Tree Nazi in the neighborhood?

    I looked up that house, 3.875, yikes. The bathrooms and kitchen need full gut & remodel. My BIL would be in heaven with that garage, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mind the flat-topped Arbutus so much as that style seems to mirror the aesthetic of the house itself; however, the other flat-top looked extreme, at least from a distance. That house price is something, huh? The lot is over an acre in size, it has a view, and the house is big but they're really pushing that epic garage I think. They're swinging for the fences on the price, though.

      Delete
  10. Your Sticks on Fire is a curious plant. You have been busy.I enjoyed the walk round your neighbourhood. It all looks lovely apart from the artificial grass. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Shirley - the best uses of fake grass are small areas where their artificiality isn't obvious. This area was too large and the wrinkles don't help.

      Delete
  11. Your neighborhood is beautiful! I remember seeing those 'Sticks on Fire' Euphorbias when we were out in SoCal a few years ago. Love them! In fact, I was going to say some of the scenes look so familiar to views we saw in San Diego. The fourth photo down reminds me of a hill/view I found particularly attractive at the Desert Garden at Balboa Park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't show the ugly bits, Beth ;) Like most neighborhoods, some homes and gardens look great and some not so great. However, I can say that succulents have become part of the vast majority of landscapes here.

      Delete
  12. I like the public spirit of a common garden. It looked like there were even a few Agave attenuata "Boutin blue"(?) Beautiful plant and a generous donation. It's also been unseasonably warm and dry up here in the Bay Area with fire risk quite high - more succulents are what we all need :)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly, the only agaves in that community garden bed are attenuatas, which reminds me that I have an Agave titanota pup I could donate. With climate change, I think the time has come for all Californians to embrace succulents.

      Delete
  13. Your new additions to the entry garden will bulk up nicely and the contrast of form and color of the sticks of fire will punch it up nicely. I loved the neighborhood walk. There are lots of lovely gardens in your hood! Hope you have a wetter winter than last year!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.