Thursday, November 15, 2018

Bloom Day - November 2018

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day snuck up on me this month.  Caught up in the midterm elections and the events that followed, another mass shooting, and a spate of horrific wildfires, my garden has taken a back seat this month.  It's also a lot less colorful now that I've pulled apart my warm season cutting garden in order to make room for cool season bloomers.  It's been much cooler here, despite the Santa Ana winds that triggered so many fires here in Southern California, but rain has remained elusive and our humidity levels have been stuck in the single digits so I count myself lucky that I found as much in bloom as I did.

The Osteospermums, one of numerous genera referred to as African daisies, usually revive when the temperatures fall.  Although I can't yet say they're plentiful, I captured one flower at just the right time of day and the right stage of bloom, and decided that I'd kick off this Bloom Day post with its beautiful close-up.

Osteospermum '4D Silver'


And here's a mixed collection of plants enjoying the start of our second spring.

Achillea 'Moonshine', Erigeron glaucus 'Wayne Roderick' and a self-seeded clear yellow Gazania are mingling comfortably here.  The yarrow flower stalks are far shorter than those the plants produced earlier in the year but their return is appreciated nonetheless.


Only a few plants are producing a multitude of blooms this month.

Barleria obtusa (aka bush violet) is a prolific bloomer and an equally prolific self-seeder.  I've moved seedlings to various locations within my garden and hope I don't someday regret doing so.

The two Leptospermum scoparium 'Pink Pearl' shrubs shown here are producing nearly the number of flowers they did last spring

Even though planted in the partial shade of a large Magnolia, Tagetes lemmonii has been pumping out a steady steam of flowers this month


The Camellia sasanqua shrubs are covered in buds and ready to bloom but the strong winds we've experienced off and on for weeks now have prevented them from appearing en masse.

NoID Camellia sasanqua


The ornamental grasses are still going strong and some of the Leucadendrons are still sporting flower-like blooms..

Left to right: Pennisetum 'Fireworks', P. advena 'Rubrum', and P. 'Skyrocket'

Although not true flowers, the colorful bracts of Leucadendron 'Safari Sunset' (shown with another noID variety, left) and 'Devil's Blush' (right) look a lot like rosebuds


The Australian fuchsias are all producing light sprays of flowers, as are the Pentas and ivy geraniums.

Clockwise from the upper left: Correa 'Dusky Bells', 'Ivory Bells', 'Sister Dawn' (new), and 'Wyn's Wonder'

Pentas lanceolata 'Nova' (left) and 'Kaleidoscope Appleblossom' (right)

Pelargonium peltatum (aka ivy geraniums) in shades of burgundy, dark pink, and lavender


The large-flowered Grevilleas bloom year-round.

Clockwise from the left: Grevilleas 'Superb', 'Ned Kelly', and 'Peaches & Cream'


One Gomphrena with tiny flowers also blooms year-round.

Gomphrena decumbens 'Itsy Bitsy' is in bloom continuously unless I hack it back, as I do at least once a year


A handful of new plants have produced blooms as well.

Hemizygia 'Candy Kisses', purchased on a recent plant shopping trip

Mimulus 'Jelly Bean Buttercream' (aka monkeyflower), purchased on the same trip

New-to-me Plectranthus lanuginosa, acquired by mail order a couple of months ago (and very hard to photograph)

Rosa 'Lady Emma Hamilton', received in February as a raffle prize won at the 2017 Garden Blogger's Fling.  These are the first blooms the shrub's produced.  They opened within one day of one another this week on the same plant but vary quite a bit in color and form.  The blooms are also smaller than I'd expected but perhaps all these things are due to receiving too little water.


As is my custom, here's the best of the rest of the blooms in my garden, organized in collages by color.

Top row: noID lavender, Lotus jacobaeus, and Osteospermum 'Violet Ice'
Middle row: Plumbago auriculata 'Imperial Blue', Polygala myrtifolia 'Mariposa', and Tibouchina urvilleana
Bottom row: Trichostema 'Midnight Magic', Wahlenbergia 'Blue Cloud', and Dendrobium 'Samurai'

Clockwise from top left: Arbutus 'Marina', Cistus x skanbergii, Cuphea 'Starfire Pink', noID Pelargonium, noID lavender-pink rose, and Rosa 'California Dreamin' 

Left to right: Lantana 'Lucky White', Leucanthemum x superbum, Nemesia caerulea, and Westringia 'Morning Light'

Left to right: self-seeded Gazania, Lantana 'Lucky Yellow', and Oncostele 'Wildcat' (orchid)

Left to right: Aloe 'Rooikappie', Echeveria 'Afterglow', Lotus berthelotii 'Amazon Sunset', and Rosa 'Joseph's Coat'

Left to right: Bauhinia x blakeana, Celosia 'Intenz', red Eustoma grandiflorum (aka lisianthus, new), and Fuchsia 'Mendonome Belle'


For more Bloom Day posts, visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens.


All material © 2012-2018 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

36 comments:

  1. You have some beautiful flowers to share today! I especially like that Osteospermum at the top of your post. I have to remember to try sowing some Gomphrena seeds this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think any of my prior photos of that Osteospermum have shown the beautiful blue shades at it's center. Maybe I need to spend more effort on close-up photos!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful, beautiful blooms!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always a pleasure to view what's blooming in your prolific garden, Kris. Esp. now that we're in complete dormancy and expecting our first snowstorm. Wah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea of a period of garden dormancy appeals to me sometimes, Eliza, along with thoughts of guilt-free hours in front of a fire reading; however, I don't imagine that appeal would last longer than a few weeks, if that!

      Delete
    2. Our winters are WAY too long. I'd be happy for spring to come in Feb. ;)

      Delete
    3. If only we could convince Mother Nature to be more cooperative. Just a little more rain for us and a little earlier warm-up for you doesn't seem too much to ask!

      Delete
  4. Your opening paragraph made it sound like you were on the edge of the world and about to jump then you present this marvelous collection of blooms. I hope they have revived your gardening spirit. I also hope that the winter rains soon relieve your garden as I know it would also replenish your soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm pretty ridiculous in my perceptions of the perceived lack of blooms in my garden, especially by comparison to gardeners in colder climates. But my eye seeks color and when that's diminished, I feel it. I wonder if there's a psychotherapist who treats that condition? ;)

      Delete
  5. Kris, my goodness! Just so much! Here I am happy as a clam to have 8 flowers blooming in my garden this month, and here you are producing more flowers in November than most people see all year (myself included)! What do you feed them? (other than sun and a temperate climate..)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't fertilize any of my plants except for those in the cutting garden (and occasionally the roses) but I've been spreading compost more liberally in recent years. Here, irrigation is probably the most critical element, although I try to keep that tightly reined too, relying more of late on less frequent but deep watering.

      Delete
  6. My ivy geraniums have just begun blooming.
    I like your own variety striped Gazania.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The self-seeded Gazanias keep surprising me with their variations, Diana. Some come up true to their parents, at least for the first generation, but others aren't like anything anywhere else in my garden. Most of the self-seeded plants become simpler in color over time, though.

      Delete
  7. I'm speechless with all the beautiful blooms you have year-round! My favorites are the Roses and the Camellias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love roses and camellias too, Beth, but, most of mine came with the garden. It's sad to say but, because both need so much more water than I can give them under current conditions, I probably won't be adding any more.

      Delete
  8. Wow, Kris, I am amazed at the masses of blooms you have, despite the adversity your climate throws at it. Too many to comment on, but I adore the Dendrobium 'Samurai', as well as your Australian fuchsias. a testiment to your gardening skills! You have been on my mind; I was wondering if you have been affected by the wildfires near L.A.. My heart goes out to all those affected by the fires in your state. My son Mark says he has experienced some ash coming from fires north of Sacramento.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, the Australian fuchsias are very drought tolerant. I'm hoping my shade house helps keep the orchid like 'Samurai' happy. We got just some whiffs of smoke from the Woolsey Fire; however, the air quality in general is poor even here 50 miles away. Those living closer to the action, including my brother and and a couple of friends, have had it far worse.

      Delete
  9. So many flowers! Of course, you never get a break when they all stick around all year.
    Oh, camillas and African daisies...
    What we used to grow before we moved! My zone is actually the same, but our winters are just a tad colder, summers a few days hotter, and snow the past few winters that stays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Lisa! Sometimes the idea of a break in the gardening cycle sounds very good to me but then I do love having flowers around all year...

      Delete
  10. Happy bloomday Kris..It's too smokey for me to go outside to take photos so I'm having a 'by' this month. Really like that Mimulus-I'm thinking of adding a couple in spring -they have so many great colors available now and they're tough as nails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that the smoke is still bad up your way, Kathy! My fingers are crossed for some nice gentle rain next week to clear the air and help the firefighters.

      Delete
  11. Kris, your garden is in spectacular bloom! I like the Barleria obtusa, I love blue flowers so much! Your Camellia is lovely, you know I adore Camellias so much, unfortunately this year was bad for my camellias, too many hailstorms. I have "Lady Hamilton" rose in my garden, it's doesn't look good at the moment: it was ravaged by my dogs two times since it is a short bush, I can't plant small, short perennials and annuals in my garden: they won't respect them at all. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that 'Lady Emma Hamilton' is so short, MDN. I must have missed that when I read the description. I don't have a problem with dogs or other critters mistreating her but I don't think she likes my climate much.

      Delete
  12. So. Many. Flowers.

    Love your Correa ‘Wyn's Wonder'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading other Bloom Day posts, I see that I do have an abundance relatively speaking. I guess I'm just very greedy when it comes to flowers - there never seem to be enough.

      Delete
  13. Life is miserable at times but then we have the nature to kind of bring calmness to every bit,Loved the shot of osteospurmum and other Beautiful blooms .
    have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It all looks super lush to me. That first image of the African daily is one that you could just lose yourself in. Have your ever read much about Emma Hamilton who your rose is named after? A fascinating woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look into the lady's history. I fell for the rose years ago when I first saw it on UK blogs but I fear this climate just isn't a good fit, although I'm babying it with extra water.

      Delete
  15. Wow, the first shot of your osteospermum is wonderful. Your garden looks very colorful and lush to my northern eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably safe to say that it's the gap between my unrealistic expectations and reality that accounts for my perceptions of a diminished display of blooms, Peter.

      Delete
  16. For having so little rain, I can't believe all the blooms, Kris! Just wonderful. That Erigeron 'Wayne Broderick' is one I've spied from time to time and I think, if it's drought tolerant for you, I should add some. That pink Leptospermum is a surprise and very beautiful. I had no idea Correa are called Australian fuchsias - of course! I wish they were totally hardy for us. Oh, Kris - I am so sorry about all those wildfires, the smoke, the destruction and the lack of rain. We're pretty dry too for November. Scary stuff but your garden is amazing and hopefully brings joy and peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Erigeron has done well here, Tamara. I recently added a few more in the front garden. As long as we still have water to use for irrigation, the garden will putter along, even if it doesn't explode as I'd like it to. My biggest fear is that a deepening drought will eventually lead to having the spigot turned down to a trickle, in which case even my drought tolerant garden may be in trouble.

      Delete
  17. So many beautiful flowers! Especially love the Osteospermums :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelly! Osteospermums are wonderful, especially in a dry climate like mine.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.