Thursday, October 30, 2014

My favorite plant this week: Leucadendron 'Pisa'

I love Leucadendron.  I brought one, L. 'Wilson's Wonder,' here in a pot from my old garden, which lacked the sun to support more.  Once in the ground, its growth exploded and I've planted many more since.  L. 'Wilson's Wonder' was featured in a prior favorites post, which also included a peek at this week's favorite, Leucadendron 'Pisa,' then confined to a decorative pot.  This week, L. 'Pisa' finally got a new home.  I carefully dug it out of its pot and planted it in the new bed along the backyard patio.

More plants will be added soon to keep the Leucadendron, Furcraea, and Anigozanthos company



The foliage is a little spare around the base.  I plan to put an Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt,' also currently confined to a pot and showing its unhappiness with that arrangement, at the foot of the Leucadendron.  I hope that and a little judicious pruning will take care of its bare limbs.

In its pot, Euphorbia 'Dean's Hybrid' filled in around the base of Leucadendron 'Pisa'



The silvery foliage is the evergreen shrub's chief attribute.  It produces cream-colored flower-like bracts and cones but mine has yet to do so.  Maybe next spring.  In the meantime, I'm happy just to gaze at the foliage.

L. 'Pisa's' foliage is particularly beautiful when backlit by the sun




According to San Marcos Growers, L. 'Pisa' is hardy to 20-25F (minus 6.7 to 3.9C) and prefers full sun and moderate water.  In its former position in a pot, it got morning shade and afternoon sun.  In its new position, only about 8 feet away, it gets sun from early morning to mid-afternoon, at least this time of year.   Hopefully, it'll be happy with the new placement.  Estimates of its height range from 4 to 8 feet (1.2 to 2.4m) tall and 4 to 5 feet (1.2 to 1.5m) wide.  Mine is currently about 3 feet tall and almost 2 feet wide.

A hybrid of Leucadendron floridum, Leucadendron 'Pisa' is my favorite plant this week and my contribution to Loree's favorite plants feature at danger garden.  However, I can't resist showing you another silver conebush, L. meridianum 'More Silver,' a recent purchase.  Isn't she pretty?

Leucadendron 'More Silver' has her feet in the ground but her body in a tomato cage, which provides protection against the malicious raccoons until her roots are firmly established


Click here to see Loree's favorite and to find links to what other gardeners' are drooling over this week.


All material © 2012-2014 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

15 comments:

  1. Both very pretty! Liking your new direction in planting and inclination to add more proteaceas in you garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely learning toward more plants with Australian origins.

      Delete
  2. I'm very tempted by all the colorful Leucadendrons I see on blogs, but in my climate it would need to overwinter in the greenhouse. I really don't have room. Unless something dies. Hmmm...then I'll have room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some smaller ones that might be easier to handle in pots, Alison, Like Leucadendron 'Ebony.'

      Delete
  3. You are so lucky to be able to grow lovely Leucodendrons. They won' t do here. The only place I have seen them growing is Tresco in The Scilly Isles. They are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're becoming another fixation for me, Chloris. I haven't even counted the varieties I have now.

      Delete
  4. I'm so jealous! They're both lovely, as you know I am a leucadendron fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the different plants you share Kris. I am not familiar with Leucadendron here but an unusual leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their foliage is lovely, Donna. I've used it in various flower arrangements. It lasts a long time.

      Delete
  6. Loving the Leucadendron 'More Silver' with the red grass ! What is that gorgeous red grass please ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grass is Pennisetum 'Fireworks,' Jane. If you'd like to see more pictures of it, check out my favorites post on October 24th.

      Delete
  7. Simply lovely. I even admire that it has a bit of openness around the base, but having never seen one of these in action perhaps I'd be even more smitten with a fuller form? Still, lovely. This will be extremely pleasant to watch as you continue to post about filling in these beds. Such vicarious fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're great plants, Deb. Hopefully, 'Pisa' will fill out now that she's out of that pot. I did move the Acacia I mentioned to hide her bare legs in the back but I'm still looking for a plant to position in front of her.

      Delete
  8. I actually quite like the bare lower limbs! And 'More Silver' is very pretty. My Leaucadendrons are taking their sweet time to grow, are yours the same or quite quick?

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.