Friday, November 1, 2013

Wide Shots: November 2013

I'm participating in Heather's meme at Xericstyle featuring wide shots of the garden on the first day of each month.  This month, I've got pictures of the backyard border, the side yard, and the front yard.  All the photos were taken in the early morning, which means that some were shot into the sun, while others show areas still in shade.

The back border, which I've shown in my previous wide shot posts, is first up.  I've pulled some plants, moved others, and introduced some new selections since last month but there are still some empty spots to fill, as well as other moves to make.

View from the backyard doorway

Side view of the back border from the left side with the plants in the very bright morning light

Back border photographed from the right side



Next up is the side yard, which I've been working on since we finished tearing out the lawn in that area in early September.  We still have to lay some more stone to create a pathway across the area.

View from front lawn area

View from small side yard patio

View from backyard lawn



This month I've also included a photo of the front beds.  I'm afraid there's not much to see there as I recently cut back most of what is in those beds but here you are.

Front yard, still in shade


For Heather's own wide shot, please visit Xericstyle by clicking here.  You'll also find other gardeners' wide views.

16 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this wider look at your garden beds. I should take some photos to participate in this meme. I like the idea of looking at just one bed over the course of a year, to see how it changes. Your side view of the back border in the morning light was very pretty. And I liked the view of the front, so nice and tidy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to focus on individual plants or small group plant combinations so it's a good exercise for me. I think you should join in, Alison!

      Delete
  2. Great shots and it really is nice to see the whole, pulled back and as is. I am having a hard time though with the fact the back of your home, which faces the water, getting the morning light...gonna have to work to figure that one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's confusing isn't it?! The Port of LA, above which our house sits, is part of a south-facing bay, indenting into the southwest coast of California. (If it wasn't for our perpetual haze you could see part of Long Beach stretching off in the distance.) To complicate matters there's the added factor that the rising sun's position actually changes some during the course of the year (see http://people.bu.edu/sscruggs/earthandsun3.html ). It makes my eyes cross some - I was used to seeing ocean and thinking west before I moved here, The open ocean is still to the west but not the harbor.

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed seeing your photos, great shots and gives us a better perspective of your fab garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lot of mature trees on your property framing your home so well! I notice a lot of gorgeous reds too....LOOKIN' GOOD GAL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't claim responsibility for the trees as they were here when we bought the house but we're happy for the shade from the hot summer sun as well as their good looks.

      Delete
  5. Just gorgeous. I loved seeing your wide views. Looks like it's right out of a storybook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was attracted to the house just based on a drive-by during the early stages of our house hunt. My husband took some convincing but I eventually prevailed (after we saw a couple of dozen other houses).

      Delete
  6. Vad högt och fint läge det är på trädgården!!
    Mariana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great place to garden year-round, Mariana. There is no snow here (and even frost is extremely rare).

      Delete
  7. Wow, you have some fabulous borders! I liked seeing the broad views, to give me a sense of your overall garden. It looks like a beautiful summer day there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have anything like the seasonal weather changes you experience, Deb. Basically, we have a warm/hot season and a cool season. Our cool season provides great gardening weather.

      Delete
  8. WOW! That long border is incredible! I had no idea is was so long or full. Beautiful! I think your garden is really fabulous. Mine is slowly going dormant for the winter. Right now it's a race against temps/lack of daylight to get the last couple of projects done before it gets too cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammy. We're fogged in and cool (70 degrees) today but our temps are expected to go back into the low 80s tomorrow so, yes, we're lucky.

      Delete