Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Favorite plant of the week: Erysimum linifolium 'Variegatum'

I'm once again joining Loree of danger garden in sharing my favorite plant of the week.  This one isn't remotely exotic or unusual.  However, it is a good, reliable performer in my garden.  It's Erysimum linifolium 'Variegatum,' a variegated form of the common wallflower.  I value it because it's resilient and attractive in and out of flower.  At present, it's not flowering but the leaves shine bright, even on the gray mornings that have greeted us for the last few days.

I have 4 of these plants circling the square fountain in our backyard.  All but one are doing well there with just a little judicious pruning following bloom cycles.  The fourth stands between our raccoon visitors and their preferred path to the fountain, where they regularly snatch sea shells from the top tier.  I recently added repellent around the base of the plant in an effort (probably hopeless) to keep the raccoons at bay.

Erysimum linifolium 'Variegatum' planted at the base of the fountain

Erysimum on the other side of the fountain bordered by scraggly Cuphea hyssopifolia

This Erysimum has faced frequent raccoon stompings



There are 3 more Erysimum in the back border.  They're not quite as full as those surrounding the fountain right now but they also get somewhat less water and attention.




None are flowering at the moment but they do produce small lavender/mauve flowers, as shown in the picture below taken last winter.

Erysimum liniformium 'Variegatum' photographed in flower in early February



Erysimum grows in full sun or light shade.  This variety is hardy in USDA zones 3a-9b (Sunset zones 4-6 and 14-24) and grows to 2 feet tall and 2-3 feet wide with moderate water.

To see Loree's favorite of the week and connect to other gardeners' favorites, click here to visit danger garden.

10 comments:

  1. Love it Kris, gorgeous colour and habit! It also looks like a variegated Euphorbia from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it and Euphorbia 'Ascot Rainbow' give something of the same first impression!

      Delete
  2. Oh, the ones around the fountain that haven't been stomped by raccoons have a very pretty form. My variegated Erysimum didn't make it through last winter, but the solid green one is very robust, and still flowering, but a bit rangy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do seem to want a bit of pruning - I snip away at them 2-3 times a year after their flowers wane.

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful! I wonder why I haven't noticed it here in our nurseries? Now I'll be on the hunt. I love the foliage and from the looks of things it would be fine with me if it didn't bloom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost prefer them in their non-blooming state myself. They're fairly easy to find here, at least in spring and fall - I'm surprised they haven't made an appearance up there (especially given the number of nurseries).

      Delete
  4. I do like the variegated foliage on this plant. As has been said already, I thought it was a Euphorbia too. I must keep my eye out for this one and I've added it to my list for possibilities in the front garden (should I ever get round to my makeover).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good for adding a bright spot in the garden, Angie. Good luck with that makeover!

      Delete
  5. It really does light up the garden, almost sparkles! You might like to link it to GBFD over at My Hesperides Garden, this post would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it sparkles in the garden, especially on gray days. I've linked the post to your meme, Christina.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.