Saturday, November 16, 2013

Foliage Follow-up: November 2013

I've added quite a few foliage plants to my garden this year (and the gardening year's not over for us yet in southern California).  One of my most recent acquisitions is Dampiera trigona 'Purple Wire.'  It blooms, as you may be able to detect from the picture below, but the foliage is what landed it in my cart during a recent nursery trip to Carpinteria.  It's a relatively low-growing, clumping plant suited to a rock garden environment so my hope it that it'll find the soil of this former rock quarry hospitable.

It's hard to get a good picture of this Dampiera.  The foliage really is wiry.



Another recent acquisition is a diminutive Phormium, 'Tiny Tiger,' which I picked up on the same nursery trip up north last week.  It gets just one foot high and one foot wide so it should do fine in its location along the pathway of my dry garden.





I've also added a mass planting of Alternanthera tenella 'Crinkle Red' along the pathway in my renovated side garden.

10 Alternanthera tenella 'Crinkle Red' line the pathway

Close-up of Alternanthera



As of last week, no fewer than 3 Prostanthera ovalifolia 'Variegata' have taken root in my garden.

This Prostanthera ovalifolia, placed in the side yard in late September, is getting by on morning sun only so far

My newest Prostanthera ovalifolia, purchased for a bargain price of $8.99 last weekend, is seated in front of a Ceanothus hedge in the back garden


I've posted about my use of Coprosma repens 'Plum Hussey' in the garden many times (most recently here) but I've also added the smaller-leafed Coprosma 'Evening Glow' to my collection

One of 3 Coprosma 'Evening Glow,' all still relatively small



But the foliage plants making the biggest impact in the garden right now are still the 2 Persimmon trees we inherited with the house (previously featured here), which are in their full fall splendor.

Persimmon 'Hachiya' in the dry garden

Persimmon 'Fuyu' in the vegetable garden


What foliage is lighting up your garden at the moment?  To see other foliage picks, please visit Pam, the host of the monthly Foliage Follow-up at Digging.

4 comments:

  1. Okay seeing the close up of the Alternanthera made all the difference - fabulous plant. Oh and I love how you say "no fewer than 3 Prostanthera ovalifolia 'Variegata' have taken root in my garden" as though they've just appeared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they did just appear on their own?

      Delete
  2. Persimmons do have such great fall color. I'm so intrigued by several of your other pics, like the Prostanthera ovalifolia 'Variegata' -- that one looks great next to the dark green of the acanthus. Cool choices for Foliage Follow-Up -- thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 1st Prostanthera was planted where there was an opening but I've been more thoughtful about the placement of the 2nd and 3rd - it really needs a dark backdrop to show its full glory. And thanks for giving me an opportunity to flaunt my foliage by hosting Foliage Follow-up, Pam!

      Delete