Sunday, November 24, 2013

Succulents Galore!

A friend and I made a trip to OC Succulents in Irvine, California this weekend.  We'd been there once before, about a year ago.  It's a schlep but worth the effort as the variety and price of the succulents in stock can't be matched elsewhere in our area.  They're also very good about labeling their stock, which can't be said for most nurseries that sell succulents, at least in my experience.

The following pictures provide a sense of what you see when you step out of your car.









There are planted pots.

Sadly, these weren't exactly bargain priced



And empty pots.





A wide assortment of varieties in 6 and 8 inch pots sit under a net canopy.


Example of their helpful signs (Note: the 6 inch pots were $6.40, not $640)








Even the prices on some of the larger plants were reasonable.

These Agave 'Quadricolor' were $28

And the Yucca gloriosa were $24



Inside the store to the back, constructed of what appear to be old Quonset huts, there were smaller (mostly unlabeled) succulents, houseplants, decorative pots and baskets.











Although my friend was the primary instigator behind this particular trip, I did have one planned purchase in mind.  I sought - and found - 3 reasonably priced Agave attenuata for my slope.

Agave attenuata, also know as Fox Tail Agave, has soft leaves - I didn't want anything with sharp spikes on the slope where falls are possible



What I didn't plan on were these purchases.

From the top, Graptoveria 'Fred Ives,' 2 Echeveria 'Ruffles', and 2 Aloe aristata on either side of an unlabeled 4-inch plant
I fell hard for this unlabeled succulent, some form of Crassula I think (maybe C dubia), for $2.90!



I also picked up the makings of one Christmas present but I'm not going to spoil the surprise for the intended recipient and show that here.

As I was checking out, the salesperson asked me if I was buying on behalf of a company.  Apparently, they discount wholesale purchases.  Given my current rate of spending, maybe I need a wholesale license...

All in all, it was a productive trip.  We even snuck in a brief stop at Roger's Gardens on our way home.  I really do need to stop shopping for anything other than holiday gifts, however...

16 comments:

  1. That looks like a great place with excellent, informative signage. Love your new Agaves. I bought one at the Fling, and love it! I wish we had a similar place up here in the PNW, I would drop some serious money for some of those colorful Bromeliads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tempted by the bromeliads too. The smallest size was well-priced but the larger ones jumped above my pocketbook tolerance level.

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a sight the moment you step out of the car and into the nursery, so many stunning succulents! And I'm not surprised at all that you had unexpected purchases, very difficult to leave that place without adding a few more to intended purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all I could think of when I got home was what else I should have picked up while I was there.

      Delete
  3. I can never, ever, be allowed to go here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! When I got out of the car, I actually thought "Loree would love this place." It is hard on the wallet, though, even with the reduced prices - there are so many plants to choose from. You'd need to drive down from Portland with a truck. Although, come to think of it, John Wayne Airport is nearby - maybe you could rent a cargo plane.

      Delete
  4. I have only recently become interested in succulents, mainly because some are among the few plants that seem to like my front planter with the micro-climate of an oven! If I had a nursery like this one close by, I would be a complete convert. I love the selection you chose, especially 'Ruffles'. I would have added one of those huge red pots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlike the plants, the pots weren't so reasonably priced - believe me, I looked!

      Delete
  5. Funny thing about succulents, I used to hate them but now I can't get enough of them. You can make such wonderful textured patterns with them. The trouble is in England they have to come inside for window.. So they are on every window sill. I must stop buying them.
    Lovely ones in that nursery. 'm not surprised you spent so much.
    Chloris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Succulents do get their teeth into you, don't they Chloris? Their sculptural qualities are what drew me in. Fortunately (or not!), as I don't have to move them inside for the winter, there are no limitations on my collecting...

      Delete
  6. I like that place. The quality is very good. Their small succulents are a good deal. The larger ones are expensive. The houseplants are excellent, far better quality than big-box at less than half the price most of the time. C. dubia or maybe even C. perfoliata var. falcata.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I bought a couple of houseplants there on my prior visit. I wish it was closer - it takes me a good hour plus to get there.

      Delete
  7. This place looks delicious! You showed great restraint. I want to go there with Danger just to watch her cart fill up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's made to order for her, isn't it? But she said she can never be allowed to go there.

      Delete
  8. LIKE THE DESIGNS? XD
    ASK FOR JAVIER WHEN SHOPPING THERE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I WORK THERE! worked on those outdoor designs and still do ;)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.