Wednesday, September 4, 2024

The Paulsen Garden, one of the Puget Sound Fling highlights

Camille Paulsen was a key player in pulling together the 2024 Puget Sound Garden Fling, which has a lot of moving parts, from locating sponsors to keep costs manageable for attendees and selecting gardens to visit to coordinating transportation, hotel arrangements, and meals.  As if those tasks alone aren't enough, she also prepared her own garden to be toured by one hundred Fling participants, which I suspect would challenge even the savviest gardener.  With the support of Fling co-planner, Paula Rothkopf, and the help of her family in readying her own garden, she handled everything beautifully.

Fling participants toured the Paulsen Garden in the afternoon of Day 2.  It was very warm and the sun was intense, which presented challenges when taking photographs.  I moved back and forth in the garden so I can't claim that my photos follow any kind of logical path but I hope they show its beauty.

I'll start at the front of the garden.

View from just inside the Paulsen Garden looking out at the neighborhood

Conifers mingling with Yuccas, oh my!


A lovely koi pond (which I mistakenly attributed to the Risdahl-Pittman Garden in my Postcards from the Puget Sound post.)  Note the red color accents - these were prevalent throughout the garden.

The first of many seating areas



Moving deeper into the garden, we find a Torii Gate.

It was designed and constructed by Camille's husband, Dirk Paulsen

 

There were a number of interesting paths visitors could follow, which kept the group from bunching up.



Creative plant combinations and containers were positioned along every pathway



I came across a smaller pond in a shady area.


There were lots of seating options in the shade too

Unobtrusive artistic touches like this one were tucked here and there

And of course Mount Rainier was visible from the garden


Much as I appreciate natural and landscaped plant vistas, I also enjoy examining individual plants and plant combinations up close.  This garden offered plenty of those.  I'm not even going to try to place these in the locations they occupied in the garden as my memory has already lapsed.

There were a LOT of container plants.  I can't keep up with my own smaller collection of potted plants but I imagine weather conditions make things a little easier on gardeners in the Puget Sound.

Fatsias looking fabulous

Crocosmias and Hydrangeas

Plenty of beautiful foliage mixes

Trees, including Cercis, Acers, and the intriguing noID conifer on the right

This unusual container featuring both a staghorn fern and an orchid sparked a lot of interest


You've no doubt noticed that the Paulsen Garden offered a large variety of seating options.  The one below was located on a deck attached to the house.

Accents included tiny Acers in pots

More containers arranged along the deck's edge

Colorful (and educational) artwork



A large swimming pool was visible from the deck.

The view of the pool was partially concealed by an Albizia julibrissin 'Summer Chocolate' here

This view revealed that Flingers had already settled in for a rest

I loved the mix of plants with the 'Angel Wings' Senecio centerpiece in the pot in this sitting area

and the tropical-themed pots in this area

I also liked how the pots and plants broke up what might otherwise be a boring hedge here.  (I have a lot of boring hedges in my garden.)



I was very impressed by the beautiful gazebo too.

There were a lot more people hanging out here a little while later

Several raised planters were positioned nearby


The garden even had neat storage areas.



Back up at the front of the house in the driveway, we were offered delicious fruit ices.

The huge piece of what I assume is driftwood drew attention

A representative for Monrovia was sitting for a photo by someone else when I snapped this shot of her next to plants to be raffled off at a Fling dinner that evening.  I recognized her voice from Monrovia's periodic webinars.  I didn't see the other face poking through the foliage above the bench until after I'd downloaded my photos.  I think the plants on the right were donated by Little Prince of Oregon for the same raffle.



That's it for my summary of the Paulsen Garden.  If you'd like to see more, I suggest visiting Camille's Instagram feed, which you can find here, or checking some of the posts loaded on the Fling site, which you can find here.


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party



20 comments:

  1. Oh my, I love your second photo with the mix of Conifers & Yucca. This is fabulous, she sure has an eye for art as well - I like how it is tucked away to be "found". The Gazebo is grand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your perception of Camille's garden is right on point, Tracy. It's one that deserves slow strolls that allow visitors to discover what's around the next corner. I wish I had a gazebo but, like the greenhouse I'd also love to have, I haven't the faintest idea where I could put one.

      Delete
  2. Camille's garden was completely immersive, filled with beautiful vignettes and seating areas at every turn. Thanks for the return visit, Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After viewing CamiIle's lovely seating areas, I kept thinking I need to upgrade some of my own, Pam. Not that I hardly ever sit! I don't always let my visitors sit long either as I'm always encouraging them to come check out this or that too ;)

      Delete
  3. I love her garden. I got to visit it a few years ago. Don't you love it when you see people surrounded by beauty and they have their heads stuck in their phones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I couldn't even imagine stopping to sit down, Phillip ;)

      Delete
  4. It's not an easy thing to pull off, but the organizers did a fantastic job on this Fling. So many fabulous gardens, including this one.

    I spent a long time in this garden, really enjoying it, skipping the garden(s?) nearby--the down sloping street to them looked too hot and too steep for me. You caught many details I missed, but there was so much to admire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I somehow wandered into the wrong neighbor's garden, even though I entered at the street-side library station as instructed ;) I was redirected and saw some of the neighbor gardens but, flustered by my off-course tour, I didn't tally long.

      Delete
  5. That is one sweet garden, great choice of plants and design placement, as well as hardscaping. Must have been fun to tour. Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you would have enjoyed it, Eliza. Both the garden layout and the plants were lovely.

      Delete
  6. Your photos are way more organized than mine-I still haven't started to edit day2. This was an epic Fling in my opinion-but it's hard to go wrong in the PNW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've long regretted that I didn't make it to the Portland Fling and I was bound and determined to make it to this one, Kathy. It didn't disappoint. My husband and I've talked on and off about moving to the PNW. I had a job offer in the Portland area back in the early 90s but my husband's career would've needed to take a wholly different direction. As we were making pre-retirement plans we considered such a move again (my BIL lives on Vashon) but there were family obligations that kept us here. Starting over isn't easy either.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the return to Camille's gorgeous garden!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another amazing garden! I love the pond, the pool, and the sitting area, and what an incredible view! And those Hydrangeas are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of the best gardens on the Fling tour, Beth.

      Delete
  9. I love seeing Camille's garden through your eyes. You captured many details I missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As few of us manage to cover everything, it's nice that we can all consult other people's coverage to catch whatever we missed!

      Delete
  10. Camille was the inspiration behind me trying a Fatsia in a pot. They haven't been reliably hardy in my yard, so I chose Fatsia 'Spider's Web' as my raffle prize from Little Prince of Oregon to experiment with.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.