Monday, September 23, 2024

In a Vase on Monday: Kicking off the fall season

Although the calendar says we've entered the fall season, "Indian summers" are the norm rather than the exception here in coastal Southern California.  For one thing, we don't get frosts.  However, in contrast to the recent heatwave, our temperatures were on the deliciously cool side last week.  It's supposed to be warmer today (low 80sF/27C) but our morning marine layer is back, which operates like natural air conditioning.  If we're lucky, we can at least anticipate that the heatwaves are behind us and nighttime temperatures should continue in the low 60sF (17C).  In other words, it's our version of fall even if very different from conditions in much of the Northern Hemisphere.

My dahlias are still going strong.  The first arrangement includes two varieties of dahlias, one which I've used before (and also grew last year) and the other which is new.

I've featured the huge blooms of Dahlia 'Fairway Spur' before but the ball-shaped 'Brown Sugar' Dahlias are new to my garden.  I haven't made up my mind about them yet but I thought their rusty orange color echoed that at the center of 'Fairway Spur'.

Back view: The foliage of Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' may be too similar to the 'Brown Sugar' Dahlias

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Dahlia 'Brown Sugar', D. 'Fairway Spur', Leptospermum 'Copper Glow', and Zinnia elegans 'Golden Hour'


The second arrangement contains another dahlia I'm growing for the first time this year.  As with Dahlia 'Brown Sugar', I haven't decided if this one's a keeper either.

Dahlia 'Excentric' is supposed to be a hot coral-pink variety but in the garden it's more pink than coral, although the coral element is easier to see up close than it is in the photos here

Back view

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Dahlia 'Excentric', Leptospermum 'Copper Glow', Zinnia elegans 'Benary's Giant Coral', Z. e. 'Raspberry Limeade', and Z. e. 'Zinderella Peach'


For more IAVOM creations, visit our host, Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.




All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


3 comments:

  1. Love the Dahlias, and of course the Zinnias. You have some lovely vases, too, Kris. Here in my part of the country, our highs went from hot (high 80s) to cool (high 60s) almost overnight on the first day of autumn. Would like to see more 70s in the forecast, and it looks like they're on the way in the week ahead. Enjoy your pleasant weather, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the autumn color of Brown Sugar. Your weather is pretty perfect, we are hitting 100 again today. But the shorter daylight should help ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how some Dahlia blooms change their color as they mature. I noticed that in one of my Dahlias; the evolving hues is quite lovely. Your first vase have wonderful hints of the changing seasons, aided by Leptospermum 'Copper Glow'. Dahlia 'Brown Sugar' has gorgeous saturated color. Wow.
    Dahlia 'Excentric' looks delicious in the second vase: to me it says Raspberry sorbet. And as you may remember, it's in my favorite vase.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.