Friday, September 6, 2024

Neighborhood Standouts

I've resumed my regular neighborhood walks, at least when our temperatures don't soar into the stratosphere as they did yesterday and as we expect them to do again today.  When that happens, we pull down all the indoor shades and let the air conditioning take over.

On Thursday, our afternoon temperature topped out at 102.2F (39C), which was higher than was forecasted for our area

When I walk the neighborhood, I snap photos whenever I see something I like or that intrigues me.  While cloistered in the house during the current heatwave I pulled together a collection of those photos and thought I'd share them.  All but two were taken using my mobile phone's camera.  Those of us living along the California coast have mostly avoided extreme high temperatures this summer while people living in our inland areas have baked.  The inland valley I grew up in experienced temperatures over 115F (43C) yesterday and get even hotter today.  When I was in high school (a LONG time ago) no one spoke about global warming but, even back then, I swore that every summer got worse and worse.  Now there's plenty of evidence of that (not that all politicians acknowledge the fact and fewer still are prepared to address it).  As a whole, California had its hottest July on record and worldwide it's clear that global warming is a factor in one disaster after another.  Ignoring it isn't going to make things better.


But let me move on the what's looking good in the neighborhood!

For the first 10+ years I lived here, the front slope of this home was covered in a lumpy "rug" of fake turf.  It looks so much better now!

The narrow profile of this red-flowered crape myrtle (Lagerstroemia) grabbed my attention as I'd like to add one of these trees to my garden but was concerned about their girth 


I love the structure of this noID cycad

Located in the same garden, my phone's plant ID app identified this as a Mexican blue palm (Brahea armata)

I don't often see aloes blooming in late summer but this garden's aloes put on a good show every summer.  I'm not certain of the ID.

We inherited several Hibiscus in our former garden but the plants were covered in woolly aphids every year and I eventually removed them.  This one always looks great.

I took this photo of the beautiful Bougainvilleas in our south-side neighbors' garden from my back slope as their home is set back from the street and the plants aren't visible from that vantage point

Our north-side neighbor's home and garden are also set back from the street but leaves of one giant bird of paradise (Strelitzia nicolai) routinely pushes through the fence between us.  I photographed it from our side.

I love the wild blue morning glory (Ipomoea sp.) but I'm glad it's rambling through someone else's front garden

The same neighbor has Plumbagos winding through his front and back gardens (both visible from different sections of the street)


For a couple of weeks, I watered selected plants for neighbors who were out of town.  I snapped photos now and then in the process.

I don't have a solid ID for this magnificent Agave

My neighbor has Calandrinia spectabilis roaming through various areas of her garden.  I was surprised and delighted when I spotted what appeared to be a large mass of Tradescantia mundula variegata 'Tricolor' in the background, partially hidden by other plants.

This neighbor uses large and small succulents throughout her garden.  Many of the small ones are shown off in pots.


In this neighborhood, many, if not most of us, have slopes to deal with.  This neighbor has impressive stacked-stone walls to cope with them, all planted with succulents and other drought tolerant plants. 


No stacked-stone walls here but this multi-tiered structure provides spots for lounging and more plants 


I took one long distance shot from our driveway of palm trees growing alongside a house outside my neighborhood.

I must admit that I don't like palm trees, especially the tall ones that drop their fronds from great heights onto whatever lies below - they made a mess of the backyard of my childhood home and they can be dangerous.  However, this group across the canyon is always kept well-groomed and I admire the vignette (from a distance).



I've made inroads cleaning up my garden recently but there's still a lot left to do.  My efforts came to an abrupt halt when this "heat dome" settled over California.  It's expected to last through the weekend and I expect there'll be even more plants that need cleaning up - or throwing out - afterwards but I look forward to getting back to work next week.  Whether any of the dahlias in my cutting garden will be left to fill my vases is another matter.  Best wishes for a pleasant weekend, whatever you weather conditions!


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


20 comments:

  1. I do enjoy seeing neighborhood gardens on my weekly walks. Not often do I see anything new, but it's still fun. The stacked-stone walls is impressive; I love everything about it; I also love that Hibiscus: the color is stunning.
    I find inspiration in the stacked terracotta pots, especially the lower right corner of your photo collage: very well done.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gardener had a lot of fun creating that multi-tiered container composed of the stacked terracotta pots. It's a great way to use all the small succulent pups and cuttings one ends up with when cleaning up the garden. She's also planted up the large, woody bases of palm fronds using succulent remnants - I received one of those creations from her a month or so ago.

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness they got rid of the lumpy fake grass, sounds like a bad toupee! The heat kept me mostly inside yesterday, our humidity was 8% - so scary for wildfires starting. I love the rock walls, that must have taken forever. Your neighbors pots are nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never asked if the stacked stone walls were there when they moved in or whether they added those, although I know she did get a landscaper's help at one point years ago (long before my husband and I moved into the neighborhood). There's one less elaborate stacked stone wall in my own garden and, based on what a former neighbor told me years ago, the same landscaper did some work for prior owners of our property too.

      Delete
  3. Lovely walk about, that agave shot had me swooning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made another stab at identifying that agave this afternoon, Loree. It looks like an Agave isthmensis var verschaffeltii (syn. Agave potatorum var verschaffeltii). I'd considered A. potatorum before but the deep leaf imprints threw me off - the verschaffeltii variety has those imprints.

      Delete
  4. I immediately though colorata when that agave photo scrolled but just a guess. This post is a great example of the specimen-style planting of SoCal, one stunner after another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my response to Loree above, Denise. Agave colorata is a good guess, though. I had a few colorata years ago but I remember their color as having a more blueish cast.

      Delete
  5. The noid Cycad is Zamia furfuracea endemic to south east Veracruz State. An excellent plant.

    A gorgeous Agave there! A particularly choice selection of whatever species. The lobed(?) leaf margins will tell what it is.

    Your neighborhood seems to care about their landscapes. It's nice to see. Have you noticed all your succulent giveaways turning up in gardens here and there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the ID on the cycad, HB! I may have narrowed down the ID of the mystery agave - see my responses to Loree and Denise.

      There are a handful of serious gardeners in my neighborhood but I'm sad to say it's nowhere near a majority. I have seen some of my giveaways in other people's front gardens and various people have thanked me for my contributions. A lot of the pups and cuttings I offer are small, which only dedicated gardeners seem to have the patience to care for during their baby years.

      Delete
  6. You have a lovely neighborhood in which to walk. Sorry the temperatures are so dramatic this week. We had 102 midsummer and no rain for weeks. It's made me abandon my garden this year until I can start over in February! Drains my energy and spirit. Hope you don't have to put it with it long. I've always loved Plumbagos but no luck with them for me. Such a special color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to one a reading from our roof-top weather station, we hit 108F for a time this afternoon, Susie! The biggest issue is the nighttime temperatures, which are remaining high during this heat "event." It was still 88F at 11pm last night and already 87F at 7:30am this morning :( Rain is of course a rare thing here between mid-April and late October so we've adapted to that (even if that acceptance is grudging in nature).

      Delete
  7. Oh, yes, it is fun to see some views from SoCal. Your neighbors' gardens and properties are lovely. I hope to get out there again within the next few years, since I have so many family members in the L.A. and San Diego areas. Take care in the heat...that is just too hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get out this way, you're always welcome to pay a visit, Beth! It'd be great to meet you in person given that I missed seeing you at the 2017 and 2018 Flings.

      Delete
  8. Ooh! The Agave isthmensis and the Zamia furfuracea! I'd love to put in retaining walls like your neighbors have. Impressive tiered gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those walls are a lot of work! I inherited a partial wall with my garden and extended it after we moved in but mine's much lower than my neighbor's. There's no mortar in mine but I'm not sure that's true of her's, which is constructed of smaller rocks than mine. Another neighbor has an even lower wall, which is constantly falling apart!

      Delete
  9. Can I just say that you live in a REALLY NICE neighborhood?!!!

    Plant IDs: I agree with Jerry on the Zamia. The agave could also be potatorum. Hard to know for sure because both potatorum and isthmensis are highly variable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't usually share photos of the more questionable gardens ;)

      As I recall, one site showed both names for the agave on their site. My neighbor didn't have a name tag for it.

      Delete
  10. I still think yours is the nicest garden in the neighborhood, but I guess I'm bias, ha.
    Coincidentally, I recognized your NoID cycad from a recent post from another fellow blogger. 'Zamia furfuracea, aka cardboard cycad, cardboard plant, cardboard sago, Jamaican sago, and Mexican cycad, is endemic to Mexico' Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that cycad. I guess I should start by trying to find one, then figure out where I could put it ;)

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.