Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Fling visit to Heronswood Garden

We visited Heronswood Garden in Kingston, Washington at the start of the third day of the Puget Sound Garden Fling in July.  We had the entire morning there, which you'd think would've been enough time to cover the fifteen acre site but it wasn't.  I entirely missed both the Traveler's and Renaissance Gardens but I know other attendees have covered both so there are other sources readers can tap to cover my omissions.  I probably should've skipped lunch, which was provided on site.  I also should have done some homework before I headed off to the Fling but that's water under the bridge.

By way of background, renowned plant hunter, Dan Hinkley, and his partner, architect Robert L. Jones, created Heronswood Gardens.  They began developing the site in 1987, in time expanding their original ten acre lot to fifteen acres.  The grounds feature many of the plants Hinkley collected on his regular trips to countries around the world.  They also founded Heronswood Nursery.  In 2000, they sold the garden and the nursery to Burpee, a US-based plant and seed company.  Six years later, Burpee abruptly closed both the garden and the nursery.  In 2012, the Port Gamble S'Kallam Tribe of Native Americans purchased the property at auction.  They operate the garden to this day, with input from Hinkley.  I won't try to tell that story in more detail but you can find a summary on Heronswood Garden's site.  A much more detailed overview of Hinkley's life and projects can be found in his book, Windcliff.

We received a brief introduction to the garden before we were set loose to wander in whichever directions we chose.

This chalkboard style billboard offered a unique approach to alert visitors to plants to look for

Like hydrangeas, gorgeous lilies were in full bloom everywhere in the Puget Sound and Heronswood was no exception


Immediately across from the main entrance was the Rock Garden, which was created during the pandemic and subsequently dedicated to those lost their lives to COVID_related ailments, as well as those who fought to help them.

The Rock Garden is planted with species that thrive in high-elevation settings



I headed to the Woodland Garden next.  As was the case with many of the gardens toured during this Fling, I was at a loss to identify many of the plants I saw there; however, I've identified them when I could.

These "ruins" are a construction created by Little and Lewis.  I read their book, A Garden Gallery: The Plants, Art, and Hardscape of Little and Lewis, years ago and their style was immediately recognizable.

Puget Sound abounds with big-leafed plants.  The one featured on the left is Darmera peltata, the umbrella plant.  I'm unsure of the identify of those featured in the photo on the right.

While I can't identify the large shrub on the far left, I believe the climber is Hydrangea petiolaris

I loved the way these Hydrangeas were snuggled into their woodland settings

My guess is that the variegated plant mixed in with the ferns may be Impatiens omeiana, a species I've never seen among those sold in Southern California

The plant on the left may be Polygonatum variegatum, aka Solomon's seal, but I don't have a clue as to the identities of the other 2 plants

Flowering plants, from the upper left: noID, a lily of some kind, a variegated Pelargonium, and what I assume is a Symphyotricum

Ponds are scattered across Heronswood's site but this was the largest one I came across

A truly impressive tree stump

Some equally impressive tree ferns

A downed tree functioning as a natural garden decoration


The S'Klallam Connections Garden, still a work in progress, flows from the Woodland Garden.

During the brief introduction we received, we were told that the traditions of the S'Kallam tribe require that fallen totems are allowed to remain and decay where they fall 

From the Woodland Garden, I moved on into the Formal Garden that surrounds Hinkley and Jones's original home, now used as offices for garden staff.  I spent a lot of time in this area before we broke for lunch.  There were plenty of flowers in bloom, which may explain that preoccupation on my part.

I photographed the beds surrounded by boxwood from numerous angles




A decorative fountain in a garden that generally let plants shine without man-made accents

Miscellaneous flowers that I could at least identify by genus.  Top row: dried Allium, Astrantia, and Eryngium
Middle: Heliopsis, Hydrangea, and Lavatera
Bottom: Lilium, Persicaria, and Rosa

What my phone app consistently identifies as Inula helenium, aka Elecampane and elkdock

A bountiful Clematis



Closer to the house/office, there were still more interesting plants and flowers, including a small pond surrounded by carnivorous specimens.

Note the unique hedge used to enclose the area

Heather and Denise posing with my camera pointed toward an opening to another area beyond the hedge

Closeup photos of the pond and its plants

There were a lot of other interesting plant combinations

Beds close to the house/office

I loved both these shrubs but couldn't identify them, not that I expect either would be happy in my hot, dry part of Southern California


A few more plants that I could identify, at least in general terms.

My guess is that the plant on the left is Cercis canadensis 'Rising Sun', which I've only seen once in SoCal, fried almost beyond recognition.  I tried growing the Mukdenia rossii shown in the photo on the right once but it didn't survive long.

The garden also supported a few clumps of the lilies I later had identified for me as Lilium 'Zeba'.  I was obsessed with this plant and, upon learning its name, I pre-ordered 3 bulbs for delivery in February.  I've had success with some Orienpet lilies but I don't know how well this one will do.

2 other lily varieties I can't identify

6 more flowering plants I saw, clockwise from the upper left: Acanthus, Agapanthus (a genus of plants I can grow!), more dried Alliums, Dierama, Eryngium, and Sanguisorba



That does it for a summary of my Heronswood tour.  You can find more comprehensive coverage in Gerhard Bock's post at Succulents and More here and in two posts by Pam Penick at Digging here and here.


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

20 comments:

  1. Imagine having so much space to let the trees fall where they may, wonderful. I like your focus on the flower side, the lilies entranced me too. I may have ordered a few bulbs when I got home. I'm sure they will prosper in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To date, the only true lilies I've had success with here have been those in the Orienpet category, which are crosses of Oriental lilies and the Chinese trumpet lilies. 'Zeba', the one I fell for, is apparently a cross of Napalense and Oriental lilies. The Chinese trumpet lilies are said to be more heat tolerant than most but I've no idea as to whether Napalense lilies can take the heat. We shall see.

      Delete
  2. It is an amazing garden and those lilies are impressive. I think I have the mystery plants next to the polygonatum. I think the first is a a type of euphorbia - I can't remember exactly. I have it in a pot. The one on the far right looks like the hedge Maple called 'Carnival'. Was it shrub or small tree size?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for offering your assessment, Phillip! The one you said might be a Euphorbia looked like it could make a nice groundcover. I think the other one was a large shrub but my photo doesn't offer clues to its form and my memory isn't good enough to be certain.

      Delete
    2. Not Euphorbia but a trailing euonymus. I have it in a pot. It will attach itself to brick easily. I occasionally have to pull it off.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the clarification, Phillip.

      Delete
  3. Incredibly memorable visit on so many levels, including the bombshell political news that buzzed among the flingers in real time. I have a possible ID for "upper left: noID, a lily of some kind, a variegated Pelargonium..." given to me by Sue for the pale yellow flowered noID that had self-sown everywhere: Aconitum anthora. I might have to find seed for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks like a good guess, Denise! That's of course a plant that likes a shady, moist spot but then I'd guessed that would be the case no matter its name ;)

      Delete
  4. What a creative idea for a display/billboard! The UW-Arboretum here in Madison often has similar creative displays of currently blooming and beautiful plants. All the lovely rock, woodland, and floral displays at Heronswood--magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a magical place, Beth! I wish I'd had a few more hours to poke around.

      Delete
  5. The couple of times I visited Heronswood were off season, that is to say late winter and fall. It's impressive year round, obviously, but I've never seen the formal garden looking so glorious!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between the Woodland Garden and the Formal Garden, I was in heaven, Chavli!

      Delete
  6. I missed that detail about fallen totem poles being left to lie where they fall. Interesting. Like you, I found the plants very different from what I can grow in Austin, but what a great place for exploring. I'll need to go back one day and spend a whole morning or afternoon there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a brother-in-law living on Vashon, you'd think that I could arrange an occasional trip to the PNW but, so far, it still hasn't been easy!
      Medical issues keep my husband from flying anywhere.

      Delete
  7. What a splendid visit we had ! I've toyed with the idea of going back since I'm likely to be in PDX again next summer since it's only a 4 hour drive-all depends on how long I can be away from my own garden in summer. I saw the plant that that Philip thought might be a Euphorbia in a few of the gardens and sked someone (don't remember who) what it was and I was told it was a trailing Euonymous. I've never seen it around here although when I did some searching it said up to zone 10-maybe the ID I got was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the ID, Kathy. Phillip also came back with a comment clarifying that the plant's a trailing Euonymus. It looks like the E. fortunei Little Prince sells. Another seller stated that it can't be sent to California, which may account for why I haven't seen it here despite a zone 10 designation (although by some assessments, I'm zone 11a). It isn't clear to me how much water it needs - Sunset just says "moderate to regular water" for everything in that genus - but I might try it if I ever trip across it.

      Delete
  8. Wasn't that a great morning?! I felt lucky to have been a few times before, so I wasn't frantic about seeing it all. I love that photo of Denise and Heather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The morning also became emotionally charged as one after another person (myself included) received texts or phone calls about Biden's announcement!

      Delete
  9. I am ready to go back. I wonder how much it has all changed since we were there almost 2 months ago! The boxwood hedging really makes the flowers shine in the formal garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least it's a somewhat shorter trip for you! I'd love to see it in every season.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.