Monday, May 27, 2024

In a Vase on Monday: Rescues from a pit of chaos

With the extra rain we've had for two years in a row, my garden exploded this spring.  I spent a good part of last week just pulling weeds and clearing paths covered by excessively exuberant plants - and I've barely made a dent in many areas.  When it came time to cut flowers for "In a Vase on Monday," I decided to see if I could find any vase-worthy Matilija poppies at the bottom of our back slope.  As I headed down there, I realized that, despite my efforts to tidy-up the area two weeks ago, it's more chaotic than ever now.  

I took this photo after my first pass at cleaning things up earlier this month.  It was relatively neat even if the pathways were narrow; however, while I moved on to other areas of the garden, blissfully believing everything was tidy enough on the slope for awhile, the plants didn't stop growing taller and wider at lightning speed. 


I had to cut tall, flopping stems of Centranthus and succulent flowers and artichoke plant foliage just to make it down the concrete-block stairway.  And a machete would've been useful to reach the poppies!  I spent more time cutting back and pulling spent plants and weeds than cutting flowers.

I managed to get 4 intact poppies (Romneya coulteri) and one promising bud, while shattering the petals of a few more in the process.  Some readers may remember that I've tried to rid my garden of this plant, which spreads by adventitious rhizomes, and repeatedly failed.  Another attempt will be made this fall.

Back view:  The Japanese honeysuckle, which came with the garden and is firmly entrenched within the rampant ivy that blankets the upper level of the slope, is also impossible to get rid of without resorting to poisons.  At least it has a nice scent!

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Leucospermum 'High Gold', Lonicera japonica, Romneya coulteri, and Tagetes lemmonii (aka Mexican marigold)


While I was down there, I was astounded to see that the bearded Irises were more floriferous than ever before.  I cut two tall stems with multiple blooms as the starting point for a second arrangement.

This is another arrangement that looked better to me when stuffed in the bottle I used to collect my materials than after I formally arranged them in a proper vase.  I probably should've picked a different vase and left out the Limonium, both of which come across as too blue by comparison to the Iris, although the differences are less jarring in person than in these photos.

Back view: In addition, the delicate Renga lilies (Arthropdium cirratum) got lost among the other elements

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Arthropodium cirratum (aka Renga lily), Limonium perezii (aka sea lavender), Nemesia, 'Nessie Plus White', noID Iris germanica, Polygala myrtifolia, Prostanthera ovalifolia 'Variegata', and Salvia canariensis var candidissima

I still need to haul two piles of debris up the slope and I plan to spend at least a couple more hours there this week in an effort to rein in the mess.  Meanwhile, the march toward summer continues and the cutting garden needs to be cleared out soon to make way for dahlias and other summer bloomers.


For more IAVOM creations, visit our host, Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.


  


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


28 comments:

  1. Late May exuberance is about what I'd expect in gardens that experienced a generous rainy season. Weeding and tiding up the 'pit of chaos' is preferable to the alternative. The back slope looks amazing this time of year.
    Two excellent vases on this memorial day holiday. I'm particularly fond of the first, putting Romneya coulter to good use (I wish it wasn't such a thug). I can't remember seeing Lonicera japonica in previous vases: their scent is heavenly!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's recently occurred to me that drought offers one advantage: it keeps the weeds down. I'm not sure I can remember a year when the weeds have been as bad as they are now, Chavli. However, it may be that my garden is simply more crowded and the weeds have found better places to hide!

      As to the Romneya, I do love the flowers, although they don't have an especially long vase life. The bees love them even more but, if I ever succeed in removing it and stopping its spread, they'll find enough to love elsewhere ;)

      Delete
  2. I think you urged everything to grow with your cut back. I love both arrangements, even the unwanted blooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit that I expect Centranthus to produce more flowers when I cut it back but I didn't expect to find it toppling all over the place less than 2 weeks later, Tracy. Of course, the fact that I see Centranthus all over the hillsides in my area should have been a clue!

      Delete
  3. I love the yellow and white arrangement, and can imagine how frustrated you must have been to discover things had gone wild when you thought they were managed. Ah gardening...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The truth is I'm probably more accustomed to gardening under drought conditions than those we've had the last 2 years, Loree. And then the garden is also well-established (apparently with rainy-condition time bombs).

      Delete
  4. Loving both but this week the white and yellow are popping. All that weeding is why I gave my garden over to someone younger. I do miss it though. I love that view of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once dreamed of having a 2-acre garden, Donna. I'm now relatively happy that dream didn't come true as I struggle to keep up with the half acre I have! The fact that the garden isn't at all flat doesn't help, though.

      Delete
  5. I am intrigued to read just how much difference your small (in relative terms) amount of rain made to growth in your garden - there are clearly advantages and disadvantages for you. At least you have been able to use some of your energetic but pretty thugs in your first vase, Kris! How will the poppies last in your vase? Love the colour of that tagetes, and the impact of the salvia in your second vase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Matilija poppies probably won't last more than 3 days in a vase, Cathy - one had already crumbled by this morning. That Salvia canariensis is a remarkable plant - it's also huge but the flowers hold up a lot longer than those of either the poppies or the Irises.

      Delete
  6. LOVE those white poppies! ...and the Leucospermum which seems so exotic to me up here in the frozen north!! Interesting my same iris are almost ready to pop. The differences and similarities are so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both the Matilija poppies and the Leucospermum are suitable to a Mediterranean climates like ours in coastal Southern California. I suspect your climate is both too wet and your winters too cold for them, Jenny ;)

      Delete
  7. Your garden looks lush and lovely as always. I love the golden tones of the Centranthus and Poppy arrangement, and in the other vase...Irises are definitely another favorite. It's nice that you show us the different angles of your arrangements. I need to remember to do that one of these days. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! And I've been thinking I should probably start streamlining my IAVOM posts, Beth.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful vases, Kris. I love those 'fried egg' poppies, even though I know they are a bit of a garden menace. I can just imagine you with a machete hacking your way down your back slope on a flower safari, lol! 😆
    Plentiful rain makes the garden happy, but more work for the gardener. ;) Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took another stab at the back slope again late this morning, Eliza. However, I only got as far as the bottom of the concrete block stairway. There's a LOT more to do :(

      Delete
  9. Bountiful blossoms this Monday, Kris. I love the white and gold together and am amazed by the poppies! wonderful. I have tried the Mexican Marigolds several times to no avail. I do like them. Rain is a wonderful thing. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a fellow blogger, Hoover Boo of Piece of Eden, often says: rain is magic, Amelia!

      Delete
  10. That's a beautiful Iris. Red-purple with blue-purple is tricky--sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

    There are some Romneya clumps in the neighborhood the size of trucks. Kinda scary. I know what you mean about being overwhelmed by growth that needs cutting back--managed to do some this morning--but like you said, there's so much more to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wrists are acting up and, as they didn't respond to treatment with arthritis cream, I'm guessing that the pain is wholly attributable to overuse, HB!

      Delete
  11. Come sempre delle belle composizioni! Bello il tuo giardino davvero rigoglioso, è proprio il periodo dove si sfoltisce ma la settimana dopo è più denso di prima!

    Un saluto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabriel! The garden does keep getting ahead of me at the moment ;)

      Delete
  12. Those poppies may be a nuisance in your garden, but they look wonderful in a vase! As does the Lonicera. I am reminded of my rockery at my last house when I see your slope. It was almost impossible to weed if we had wet weather - take care you don't slip! I am a bit late commenting as I have also been fighting weeds and deadheading after another wave of rain making everything grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the battle with the weeds, Cathy! I swear I've never had as many as I've had this year - and a lot of them are in seemingly unreachable spots :(

      Delete
  13. An overflow of goodness! I can relate to the worry of those spready plants that are hard to control, but oh, how beautiful the flowers are. Especially love the poppies and Leucospermum. Have a good week, Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of the poppies are still intact, which is a bit of a surprise, Susie. They shatter so easily. In direct contrast, the Leucospermums last for weeks after being cut!

      Delete
  14. Wow, the pit of chaos... Definitely, turn your back, and everything takes off. All that lovely rain went right into growth. Love that white and yellow arrangement, even if the matilja poppy doesn't last long. Ours is only 2' tall at the moment. Time to start staking it before it becomes a big, floppy mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Matilija poppy is not only a big flopping mess - it's also creeping further along the property line :(

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.