Wednesday, May 8, 2024

The bright spots in my daily walks

Spring isn't just wonderful in my garden.  My entire neighborhood is full of color, even though there are relatively few committed gardeners to be found.  I thought I'd share some of the highlights I've seen in the past few weeks before summer moves in and toasts the display.

The entrance to our neighborhood is currently decked out in a massive display of Echiums, Centranthus ruber, and Limonium perezii, all of which are effectively wildflowers here

One neighbor's Beschorneria yuccoides has lived up to its potential

February's post on neighborhood gardens featured lots of succulents.  While they're still a prominent feature, I'm sharing just 3 shots of succulents this month.  Clockwise from the upper left are: what I think is an Agave potatorum sitting atop a wall; a cluster of Aloe maculata in full flower; and what I believe are ice plants (possibly Delosperma) growing through shrubs. 

Clockwise from the upper left are several colorful shrubs: a hybrid broom (Cytisus), a Pelargonium hybrid, Polygala grandiflora, and what I've always thought must be a Salvia.  The last is a huge evergreen plant (at least 4x4 feet) blanketed with tiny blue flowers for much of the year.  I've looked at plants in both the Salvia and Lobelia genera and haven't found a clear match.  My phone's ID app was no help.

White flowering shrubs include: Cistus ladanifer (aka white rockrose), what may be a Cotoneaster, and Prunus caroliniana (aka Carolina cherry)

Rhizomatous and bulb flowers: Iris orientalis, Ornithogalum (aka Star of Bethlehem) and, Watsonia

Other spring-flowering plants include: Alstroemeria, Eschscholzia californica (California poppies), and Thunbergia gregorii (aka orange clockvine)

Roses, other than the white 'Iceberg' variety, are relatively uncommon in front gardens here but there are some.  Those shown here are all from one neighbor's garden.  She told me she planted 70-odd roses and every one of them looks fabulous.  On the top row are 'Brandy', Julia Child', and one she couldn't name.  In the middle are 2 shots of 'Perfect Moment'.  Directly adjacent to the street are a variety of carpet roses (bottom row).

Roses in other neighbors' gardens include these 2


It's not just plants that give the neighborhood color either.

Mr Peacock is still with us, although I hear him (constantly!) more often than I've seen him recently.  The members of his harem are shyer and quieter, probably busy sitting on nests in the pine trees they favor.

When I stopped across the street with some flowers for a neighbor this week, I got a peek at the baby finches in a nest built inside a wreath on the front door.  My neighbor told me that she's stopped putting up fancier wreaths as the finches build nests in them every year.


My sightings were generally limited to those portions of front gardens visible from the street.  On this occasion, all my photos were taken using my mobile phone. 


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


14 comments:

  1. Incredible! Could the mystery shrub be some type of legume (sweet pea)? However, you have so many plants unknown to me, it could be anything! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been tempted to walk up the neighbor's driveway but it seems presumptuous as I don't know them at all...There are a lot of Polygala (sweet pea) shrubs in bloom nearby but I'm familiar with that genus and, at least from a distance, it looks more like some of the ice plant succulents.

      Delete
  2. A beautiful walk around the neighborhood! That agave! Mr. Peacock makes me laugh, is his loudness annoying or easy to laugh at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that agave too, Tracy. Mr Peacock has become a LOT louder and more annoying of late, especially when he ended up in our magnolia tree late this morning, squawking his head off!

      Delete
  3. The last photo is astonishing: you couldn't stage anything so cute if you tried. How lovely that they return to the same spot every year. I assume the front door isn't being used till the chicks fledge?
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neighbors across the street rarely open their front door it seems, although I wouldn't think the finches would like hearing the Ring doorbell on a regular basis ;) I dropped my flowers off and texted them that they were there.

      Delete
  4. Some lovely stuff in your neighborhood. There are some nice Echiums around here too this year. There are several Salivia with those arrowhead shaped leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Echiums are all over the neighborhood here too. That Salvia looks familiar to me but I haven't been able to identify anything that grows to that size. I've been tempted to email the former owner who created that garden - the current owners have no clues as to the identity of any of their plants.

      Delete
  5. Flowers EVERYWHERE! The cumulative effect is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is a stupendous annual event, especially when we've had ample rain :)

      Delete
  6. I love that shot with the Agave. Gorgeous. Funny that the finches frequent the fancy wreaths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little weird that the finches gravitate to the same spot (with a different wreath) each year, Jerry. I'm assuming that they somehow communicate that nesting opportunity from one generation to the next.

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh, a birds nest in a front door wreath, that's fabulous. I assume they have another door to use to get into their house, as I can't imagine the birds would deal well with the door opening and closing. Love that crazy crinkly agave and the Beschorneria yuccoides bloom is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those neighbors often enter the house via the garage but all their deliveries are left at the front door. I hope the baby birds have acclimated to those arrivals!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.