Monday, May 6, 2024

In a Vase on Monday: Casualties of wind and rain

It had appeared that our rainy season was over.  Even the UCLA climate scientist I depend on for a clear picture of what's happening with California's weather had said that the southern part of our state, with the possible exception of the mountain areas, would be unlikely to see any more rain after mid-April.  Local forecasters gave us a small chance of rain this past weekend but, when I checked the forecast on Saturday, the rainfall estimate was a paltry 0.01/inch.  As a result, I was surprised to wake up and find that we'd received 0.17/inch of rain.  We were also plagued by gusty winds.  The result was that Mother Nature selected most of what ended up in my vases this week.

I featured a post on my steep back slope last Friday.  The space looks its best in spring when everything is growing like crazy but I acknowledge that some of the plants are a bit too exuberant and in need of pruning, if only to eliminate tripping hazards.  That was all too clear on Sunday morning when the combination of wind and rain plastered flower stems across the stairway that offers the only passage in and out of the area.

I cut about 2 dozen tall stems of pink and white Centranthus, many of which I found lying flat on the ground

Back view

Top view: I selected pink Alstroemeria to complement the Centranthus

Clockwise from the upper left: noID pink Alstroemeria, Argyranthemum 'Grandaisy Dark Pink', Centranthus ruber, C. r. 'Albus', Daucus carota 'Dara', and Fuchsia 'Windchimes Upright White'


On Saturday, I'd eyed the Hippeastrum stems in one of my borders for possible use in a vase but I wasn't sure I wanted to sacrifice one of the few remaining stems.  Mother Nature made that decision for me too by snapping a couple of them.  One was no longer vase-worthy but the other became the focus of my second arrangement.

I added larkspur stems from my cutting garden, which had also been battered by the wind

I dressed up the back of the vase with a single stem of Argyranthemum, which has formed a dense mass of primrose yellow flowers filling most of a barrel in my cutting garden

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Alstroemeria 'Claire', Argyranthemum 'Angelic Maize', 2 variations of Consolida ajacis from the 'Summer Skies Mix', Hippeastrum 'Luna', Lathyrus odoratus 'April in Paris', and Prostanthera ovalifolia 'Variegata'


For more IAVOM creations, check in with our host, Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.




All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


20 comments:

  1. Beautiful Kris, both really showing off Springtime to the absolute fullest. The second one I wish I could send to my Mom for Mother's Day - the softness is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was concerned that the second arrangement might be too pastel, Tracy, but it turned out to be my favorite one this week.

      Delete
  2. Nicely done! Those flowers didn't sacrifice themselves just to end up in the bin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few did end up in the bin but I was glad to make use of the bulk of them, Loree. I was surprised that relatively light rain plastered so many down flat but the blame for that probably lies with the wind gusts, which reached 20mph at frequent intervals.

      Delete
  3. I have to say Mother Nature chose some outstanding blooms for your vases. And you put them together beautifully. I adore both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. At least Mother Nature made the selections easy this week!

      Delete
  4. Too bad to find so many stems bent over by the wind, but as you say--perfect for your vases! And I know you have plenty. :) I absolutely love both of your arrangements (as always), but the second one with its colors and forms really took my breath away. Something about the shades of yellows and creams and blues and lavenders. Wow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually use that many pastel colors - it's a nice change!

      Delete
  5. I am loving your pinks this week. And wondering if I can grow any of those here, probably not. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Centranthus is a virtual weed here, Amelia. While it's drought tolerant, I don't know that it needs dry conditions but it might be even more invasive in your climate than it is in mine. Alstroemerias are native to South America and, if given soil that drains well, they might appreciate your climate.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful jam-packed masses of flowers, delightful!

    The Argyranthemums are a sweet color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Argyranthemum has the densest floral output I've ever seen in a plant in that genus. When I picked it up late last year as a 4-inch pot, it had a handful of flowers and now it virtually blankets the half-barrel it occupies.

      Delete
  7. Oh both such lovely vases, Kris! Is the centranthus a native? It does naturalise in the UK although there are cultivated varieties. The pink daucus is lovely, as is the pink alstroemeria - but my goodness, the argyranthemum in your second vase injects a real shot of sunshine into your second vase and I was really surprised how much it enhanced the blues. The argyranthemum are not hardy here, so I lifted some of mine and also took some cuttings, but have still bought in a batch of plug plants just in case

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that Centranthus originated in the Mediterranean region but it's naturalized in many parts of the US too, most pointedly along the west coast but, as we also have a Mediterranean climate, I expect the plants feel right at home here ;) Argyranthemums are short-lived shrubs here - they get woody within 2 years or so and I end up replacing them. The 'Angelic Maize' variety is the most floriferous one I've grown yet.

      Delete
  8. When life gives you lemons... ;) You've made some nice lemonade this week, Kris! Beautiful arrangements... I adore the pastel one, I want a sundress in those colors! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I've veered away from pastel colors in the past few years but this arrangement sings for me too, Eliza. A lesson learned!

      Delete
  9. Centranthus looks wonderful in a vase Kris! You should use it more often as I know it grows in profusion in your slope! I have just been debating whether to actually buy another one for my new bed as they don't seem to be spreading in my garden as much as I would like. LOL! The splash of primrose yellow in your second vase is gorgeous and brings the whole arrangement alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Centranthus could legitimately be called a weed here, Cathy. You see it all along the roads throughout the peninsula I live on and in every untended (and well-tended) garden you pass ;) But, it originated in the Mediterranean region and our climate is the same so I guess it's right at home!

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear that you received more rain than forecast Kris but a shame about the subsequent damage to plants. That pale cream hippeastrum is so appealing.

      Delete
    3. I think the wind caused more damage than the rain, although because the rain fell in the wee hours of the morning, I don't actually know if it came down hard and fast. I also discovered that one of the artichoke plants on our back slope collapsed, toppling more Centranthus when it fell.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.