Wednesday, May 22, 2024

A visit to The Huntington Gardens (Part 1)

A close friend scored tickets to The Huntington Gardens and made an entrance reservation for our visit last Saturday.  We met at her house rather than traveling in separate vehicles as parking (which isn't reserved) is always a problem.  In addition, traveling to the Huntington from my house requires driving through the most congested area of downtown Los Angeles, which is never fun.  I did that every weekday for eight years for one job and periodically in connection with another job but I avoid it like the plague now.  By comparison, the trip from my friend's home was a relative breeze.

Once we'd checked in, we headed to the Conservatory.  I took a few photos there but the light inside was terrible and they're not worth sharing.  This post will focus on the Japanese and Chinese Gardens but here are a few photos I snapped between the Conservatory and the Japanese Garden.

At the Huntington, even the transitional areas between the themed gardens are wonderful



This arbor-covered pathway leads from the Rose Garden to the Japanese Garden


Although it's not nearly as colorful as areas like the Rose Garden, the Japanese Garden has always been one of my favorites.  In this case, the experience is more about the landscape architecture than individual plants.  In fact, I'm posting the following photos with very few descriptions for a change.

This is an panoramic shot from the upper entrance to the Japanese Garden

There are lots of winding paths and stairways to navigate the changes in elevation


The moon bridge

Elements of the Japanese House shown in the background were built in Japan and shipped to Pasadena in 1904.  The structure was acquired by Henry Huntington in 1911.



I took a few photos from the outskirts of the Japanese Garden too.

I've no idea what this tree-like shrub is but I loved its form and the way the leaves dangling from each branch caught the light

Paulownia kawakamii (aka sapphire dragon tree, left) and a low profile water feature (right)


We moved on the Chinese Garden next, officially known as Liu Fang Yuan or the Garden of Flowing Fragrance in English.  Like the Japanese Garden, the design and structure of the Chinese Garden is what stands out.  I haven't added a lot of commentary here either but much more information on the 15-acre garden, which opened to the public in 2008, is available here.

This is the Lake of Reflected Fragrance



The garden's design is modeled after principles established in the 16th and 17th centuries for gardens in Suzhou, a city near Shanghai





This waterfall was tucked into one edge of the garden.  Much of the limestone rock used throughout the garden was quarried from locations inside of China.



I took just a few closeups.

Left to right: bonsai display; a peony, one of the few shots of color in the garden at the time of our visit; and an example of one of the rocks said to be invested with energy

Huge orchid, Cymbidium Pauwelsii 'Kessander', with its own story

View of the exterior wall of the Chinese Garden



Part 2 of my visit will focus on the Desert Garden, which I'll cover later this week.



All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

18 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to visit this garden. I have seen photos of that rose covered pergola all my life and it beckons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With time constraints, we whizzed by the rose garden on this visit, Phillip. For those with a strong interest in growing roses, it's definitely a "must see." If you want to see all of the Huntington gardens, not to speak of the art exhibits, you have to plan days on-site!

      Delete
  2. We were just in the Portland Japanese Garden a few weeks ago, which had very similar vibes. I appreciate the design effort, which seems to focus more on form, greenery, and flow than on ostentatious explosions of color. The architectural elements really sell both gardens for me. The giant head at the beginning, though...now that was a bold decision. Can you imagine having that out in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly, I remember seeing multiple large heads distributed about the University of Davis Arboretum & Gardens when my husband and I made a relatively short stop there on the way to a family wedding! Maybe it's a "thing"?!

      Delete
  3. So lovely and peaceful, I love the wall. Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both the Japanese and Chinese Gardens are restful places to visit, Tracy. As I recall, my husband and I had lunch overlooking the lake in the Chinese Garden in 2018.

      Delete
  4. I have been to the Huntington at least four times, usually there from opening to closing, but I have never visited either of these gardens. There is absolutely no pull to do so, the rest of the garden will always have my eyes. Thanks for showing me what I'm missing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I visit the Huntington, I wish I lived closer, without the nightmare commute through downtown LA. Members can get in a 8am before it gets crowded (and parking probably isn't an issue), which would be heaven. The Japanese and Chinese Gardens are worth a stroll. I believe the Japanese Garden is one of the oldest creations there so there's a lot of history. While I'll admit that I didn't fully appreciate the Chinese Garden when I first visited it, not long after it opened, it's grown on me but it's more about the experience than the plants.

      Delete
  5. YESSSS!!! I'm so glad you explored areas I usually skip for lack of time. The Japanese and Chinese gardens are beyond beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, our time was limited on this visit too. There are areas I've never visited and I've been there well over half a dozen times. Even so, I've never been there without walking through the Desert Garden!

      Delete
  6. Nice to see your photos. We used to go all the time--BC, Before Covid. I miss that. The drive can be arduous even early on a Sunday morning--that always seems to hold me back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drive through downtown seems even worse than it was when I worked there but maybe I've just had it with those battles. It didn't help that the last time my husband and I made the trip a truck soared across multiple lanes and literally spun 360 degrees in front of us to get into the express lane. Luckily, we managed to avoid hitting him and no one slammed into us from behind.

      Delete
  7. I've always enjoyed Japanese and Chinese gardens. I don't fully understand the differences between those two, I bet there's a lot to learn and one day I may want to dig deeper. For now, a visit to either feels like a brief moment in a different country, culture and gardening sensibility. In Chinese gardens there are often those large circular forms which frame certain views of the garden; a design element which I love.
    The exterior wall of the Huntington's Chinese Garden is reminiscent of a massive dragon tail... love that!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I hadn't made the dragon tail connection but it is representative! I can't say I've seen many (or any?) other Chinese gardens but the Japanese gardens seem more "green" than the Huntington's Chinese garden, which puts a lot of emphasis on hardscaping and rock.

      Delete
  8. Those sculptures, structures, and landscaping are beautiful! Thanks for taking us along for the tour. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Chinese garden is maturing nicely since I was last there five years ago. Both are fine examples of Asian garden architecture. The Huntington rocks when it comes to fine gardening! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect the revenue they rake in, as well as healthy donations, helps to support Huntington's ongoing maintenance requirements. And they probably have gobs of volunteers - I'd be one of them if it didn't require regular drives through downtown LA.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.