Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Moving ahead with fall garden projects

We've had a blessedly cool stretch of weather and I've plunged ahead with more of the garden projects I've had on my mind for many weeks.

The first involved the removal of the Echium webbii I featured in a foliage post last month.  It had reached the stage in which it had more bare woody branches than foliage and I felt it needed to be replaced.

The before photo on the left indicates what an important place it held in my back garden landscape.  The photo on the right following its removal shows how empty the area is without it.  The replacement Echium webbii in the middle foreground was received by mail order in a 4-inch pot.  I checked my photo archive to verify that it's the right plant as the foliage looks very different than that of the mature plant.  I found other photos showing that it bulked up well within 6 months.

As the new plant (shown right in a closeup photo) looked a little sad, I hedged my bets by taking cuttings from the mature plant before I took it out (left).  I wasn't successful in getting earlier cuttings of this particular Echium to take but maybe I'll get at least one plant from the 10 cuttings I took.  I also ordered a backup plant from the grower this week.

 

I've never been really happy with the roses on the west side of the driveway I inherited with the garden.  Over the years, I've reduced the water I provide to all my plants (with the exception of those in my cutting garden) in response to our perpetual issues with drought.  These roses have looked worse with each passing year and even the extraordinary level of rain we received this year wasn't enough to improve the situation.  I finally made the difficult decision to remove them in favor of more drought-tolerant plants.  I've retained the rose bushes on the east side of the driveway that have managed to get by with what they receive from the the irrigation system twice a week during our extended rain-less season.

Two of the 6 almost dead roses are shown in the top 2 photos.  The (admittedly poor) photo on the bottom left shows the bushes before they were taken out.  I think the soil was too sandy and fast draining for the roses and soil supplements hadn't cured the problem.  Following removal of the roses I added 3 lavender plants (Lavandula angustifolia) I had on hand to a couple I already had in place.  I'll probably add more lavender and Moroccan daisies (Pyrethropsis hosmariense) in this area.
 

 

I removed a bloomed-out Mangave 'Bloodspot' this week as well.

'Bloodspot', purchased in 2015, was my very first Mangave.  It bloomed 3 times and died out in the middle, producing pups in the process.  I divided the clump and got 5 viable pups, although I ended up keeping only the 4 largest ones.

I planted 2 of the pups at the base of the faux bird bath in my cutting garden, shown in the top 2 photos.  One pup went back into the spot the mother plant had occupied (bottom, left).  The last one replaced the sad succulents that formerly occupied the frog pot (lower, right).


In addition to the frog pot, I replanted another pot that was looking sad after two years of long, hot summers.

I replanted this Talavera-style pot with an Echeveria agavoides 'Gilva', a few small cuttings of Aeonium haworthii 'Kiwi', and a few noID cuttings I took from elsewhere in my garden



The Aeoniums I removed from the bed in my back garden last week went out on the street for another giveaway.

I wasn't sure how attractive passers-by might feel about the Aeoniums, especially as I've given these away before.  I potted up the 'Kiwi' cuttings in 4-inch pots in an effort to increase their appeal but I just dumped the Aeonium arboreum cuttings into plastic pots and hoped for the best.  As of last night about one-third of the Aeonium arboreum rosettes and half the 'Kiwi' pots had found new homes.  I'll leave them out another day before dropping the leftovers in my green recycle bin.

 


The garden has provided a few surprises this week too.

Two more Dahlias showed up: 'Fairway Spur' on the left and 'Enchantress' in the middle.  The third photo is a noID Plumeria a neighbor gave me 2 years ago after rescuing it from someone's trash can.

I discovered this fellow under an outdoor rug on our back patio when I was adjusting the rug to eliminate a wrinkle.  I'm not sure which one of us was more startled.  The snake sped away quickly once uncovered.  An Instagram commenter identified it as a two-striped gartersnake (Thamnophis hammondii).

 

Another warm-up is expected from Friday through Monday so I'm making the most of all the opportunities I have to work in the garden this week.  Household chores are on hold until those temperatures soar once more and I'm compelled to hole up in the house again.


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

16 comments:

  1. I've also "plunged ahead" with my gardening projects. In Seattle, chilly mornings and low 70's for highs are magical for a gardener champing at the bit... apparently we both were.
    It's puzzling how different the new Echium's leaves are. I'll be interested to see how it evolves. Plus, just imagine all your cuttings succeed. A fun problem to have.
    The newly planted Talavera-style pot is fabulous.
    The dumpster-dive treasure, noID Plumeria, is so cool. Is it as magically scented as its white relative?
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so concerned about the difference between the leaves of the new Echium and those of my mature plant that I contacted the seller by email to solicit verification, Chavil - and I included photos of both. I received an auto-reply acknowledging my inquiry with a commitment to respond within days. I was going to followup with a phone call when I received no response after several days but I checked my old photos and saw that the plant I got in 2016 looked similar to the new one so I rescinded my inquiry, despite still having some reservations.

      The reddish pink Plumeria flowers are scented, at least when I stick my nose straight into them. I remember the white-flowered Plumeria as having a stronger scent but my white variety has yet to flower and it might be that the scent would be stronger from a cut flower sniffed inside the house ;)

      Delete
  2. You've been busy! Fingers crossed for your echium cuttings, and I wish I could give away your cast-off aeoniums (and Hoov's agave bulbils) in my Little Free Greenhouse...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could pass the cuttings along to you, Loree. I have to cut back the Aeoniums in my cutting garden soon as they're overtaking a main pathway through that area so I'm going to have the mother lode of green Aeonium arboreum rosettes soon. It's too back the darker-colored Aeonium arboreum don't pup nearly as prolifically.

      Delete
  3. Odd that you can see the center in your 'Fairway Spur' because other photos show it fully double -- I like yours! Echium and others of its kind that grow big fast and then die make life hard on the gardener, or offer fun possibilities depending on your POV. Cistus will do this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are at least 2 other 'Fairway spur' Dahlia flowers in the process of unfurling that aren't showing their centers, Denise. I briefly thought that first flower might be the missing 'French Can Can' but I'm fairly certain it's not (even if the plants are hopelessly intertwined at the moment). I suspect that weather conditions may have affected the unusual way the first flower developed.

      Your comment about Cistus reminds me that mine are overblown and in need of pruning too. I know that pruning is supposed to be minimal in those cases too.

      Delete
  4. Glad you had some good weather for working. You got a lot done! We're in the midst of a spell of hot weather before thunderstorms move in over the weekend to cool things down. I can't complain as aside from all the rain we had this summer, the temps have been quite reasonable. Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This summer, like the last one, hasn't been horrible - we haven't pushed past 100F here with nighttime temperatures also set high as has been the case in prior years, although the inland valleys have had worse luck. However, it's been toasty on occasion and we're headed into another period in the upper 80s to low 90sF starting Friday. I guess I'll be tackling some of the overdue household chores then!

      Delete
  5. You have gotten a lot done! Your talavera re-do looks great, and the cute froggy pot. I'm with you on letting the inside slide a bit, there is just too much to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My list of inside chores is getting longer by the day but I still find it hard to dismiss the belief that another few days won't really matter ;)

      Delete
  6. It looks as if you've been keeping yourself busy Kris. Your newly planted pot is a delight.What is "talavera style"? For once I'm holed up inside not because of rain but because of oppressive heat 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year, if it's not one weather-related woe, it's another, Anna!

      Talavera is a Mexican glazed pottery that's traditionally decorated with bright colors like cobalt blue, red, orange, yellow and green paint. Real Talavera comes from a specific region of Mexico and is usually quite expensive but there are lots of copycats producing similar pottery.

      Delete
  7. Wow...you have been busy Kris and the garden in looking great! We are in a heat wave here on Long Island with temperatures in the upper 90's and a heat index of 105 degrees. I am waiting for it to cool down so that I can get some pruning done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been very lucky overall with the summer heat this year although we did have one day during the last heatwave when we hit 97F with a heat index of 103 but it was relatively brief. We're heating up again this weekend but I'm hoping our morning marine layer at least takes the edge off of it.

      Delete
    2. Hi Kris! I forgot to sign in before! It has been a great summer overall with comfortable temperatures for the most part, so we are really feeling the heat wave, and before we know it, we will be complaining that is is too cold!!! I am happy for you that you are able to get some gardening done! I'll be back out there in a few days!

      Delete
    3. I'd actually guessed that "Anonymous" might be you Lee (the reference to Long Island being a good hint) but I was afraid to assume that ;) I hope your cool-down happens soon!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.