Friday, September 8, 2023

The late summer cleanup continues

I tackled a couple of other projects this week.  One is only partially completed but I'll share the progress to date; however, I'll start with the project completed yesterday morning with my husband's help.

The largest Agave 'Blue Glow' in my south-side garden produced a bloom stalk in early January.  By July, the stalk was bloomed out but I decided to leave it in place through August as there were signs of nascent bulbils developing near the top of the stalk.  This week I concluded it wasn't going to do much more than it had already so I enlisted my husband's help to take down the stalk without damaging the surrounding plants.

The set up to guide the stalk down is shown on the left and the after photo is shown on the right.  As the mother plant isn't showing any signs of decline yet, we left it in place for the time being.

We cut the stalk as low as we could without slicing into the agave's leaves.  The mother plant has at least 2 more pups growing from its sides so, like my neighbor's 'Blue Glow', I suspect my agave is going to produce at least one more bloom stalk before it gives up.

The stalk wasn't as tall (or as heavy) as that of the Agave vilmoriniana we took down last month but we still had to cut it into pieces to get it into our green bin.  The portion of the stalk bearing bulbils (aka plantlets) is shown on the right.

I didn't try to save the smallest bulbils but I probably potted up more than I needed to

 

The incomplete project involves cleaning up and cutting back plants in my north-side garden.  I consider this area of my garden relatively mature but of course there's always room for improvement.

This is a wide shot of the space in early July when the Agave vilmoriniana and it's tall bloom stalk were still in place.  We took both the stalk and the plant out in August.

This shot was taken this week following my initial efforts at cleaning the area up.  The changes are relatively subtle.

I cut back the 2 New Zealand tea trees (Leptospermum scoparium 'Pink Pearl') growing against the fence on the west side, as well as a few dead and heavy branches of the 'Fuyu' persimmon tree hanging over the fence (left photo).  I also cut all the Centranthus ruber stems to the ground and pulled out some western sword ferns and Erigeron karvinskianus that had spread in the corner area in response to this year's heavier rain (right photo).

The biggest change was opening up the area in front of the Agave ovatifolia to increase its prominence.  The empty space in front of that agave was created by pulling out the large faux birdbath planter I had right next to it.

I've cut back the Lavandula dentata (upper left) but I still need to thin out some dead interior growth.  The Callistemon viridiflorus behind the lavender is being enveloped by a combination of ivy, Dorycnium hirsutum (aka hairy Canary clover), and Erigeron karvinsianus and I've only made a dent at improving its visibility (upper right).  An Agave desmettiana 'Variegata' (lower right) is also being strangled by ivy, honeysuckle, and Erigeron.  And I think I need to remove or replant the pot and the Aeonium 'Kiwi' edging the gravel path (lower left), especially as both are obscuring 2 nice smaller agaves.

 

So where did the birdbath planter go?  The surface of the heavy terracotta pot I'd planted with succulents years ago is disintegrating, or at least the decorative exterior surface of the pot is.  I haven't tossed it out as it can still hold plants but I haven't decided where, if anywhere, I can put it.  On the other hand, the tall pedestal pot I'd used as a pillar to support that pot just needed a minor repair to a crack at the rim.

I moved the pedestal planter to an area on the west side of the garage across from the succulent bed I hope to revamp later in the fall.  I was originally thinking of putting it in succulent bed after its renovation but I think its current spot may be better.  As a temporary filler, I plopped in a pot of Rudbeckia 'August Sun' I couldn't stop myself from buying on my last trip to the garden center.


 

We've been warned to expect warmer temperatures today through Monday before they drift back down to the pleasant levels we enjoyed this week.  Maybe I'll manage to get on with my projects during the morning hours before retreating indoors in the afternoon.  Whatever your weather, I hope you have a wonderful weekend!


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

14 comments:

  1. Love how seemingly small edits can make such a difference. The A. ovatifolia really shines now. And rudbeckia backlit by fall rays; could it have a more perfect name? Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You can see why I fell in love with that Rudbeckia, despite the fact the plant was already in full bloom and is unlikely to survive beyond the fall season.

      Delete
  2. The ovatifolia is deserving of the room and admiration! I love the rudbeckia in the pedestal planter there - ringing in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only hope is that the whale's tongue agave won't up and bloom on me now that I've highlighted its beauty, tz ;)

      Delete
  3. Maybe another ovatifolia or two? It lights up the area with it's shape and color. Some good improvements to an already beautiful section of your garden. The benefits of the winter rain we got is unmistakable. (Even though it makes for more cutting back work for the gardener.)

    Several hot days ahead--but it could be worse. Overall we've been very fortunate compared to places like Phoenix or Maui. Best wishes for a lovely weekend even if its indoors. Time to catch up on 'Gardeners World'? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently bought another ovatifolia 'Frosty Blue' in a 4-inch pot to have it on hand when my existing 'Frosty blue' gives up its ghost - I've already bumped it up into a 1-gallon container. I've got 2 'Vanzie' planted elsewhere but another, larger plant may find a home in the renovated succulent bed when I get around to that.

      We really haven't had a bad summer, although I think my tolerance for high temperatures is fading as I get older. It's hard to believe I spent my first 18 years of life in one of our inland valleys! I'm currently watching recorded episodes of Rizzoli & Isles while ironing :(

      Delete
  4. Anything that puts the focus on that Agave ovatifolia is a good thing in my book! I can't imagine what a job removing that 'Blue Glow' is going to be...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm dreading the eventual removal of that very large Agave 'Blue Glow', especially as it's wedged in other agaves, as well as other succulents - there will be losses, even with my husband's engineering skills.
      Luckily, I've at least a brief reprieve. My neighbor's 'Blue Glow' took months to produce its second bloom stalk after the first was cut down. Interestingly, in addition to the possibility of bulbils with the second stalk, her plant's producing LOTS of pups, which isn't something this kind of agave is known for.

      Delete
  5. The north side garden area is looking nice, Kris. I never thought about how complicated it might be to disassemble the Agave spike after blooming. Glad you had a good helper. We are finally getting rain--all weekend apparently--and this morning I heard the largest, loudest clap of thunder of my life. We needed the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're getting some much needed rain, Susie. I heard that there's another hurricane turned tropical storm moving in off Baja California and was hoping we might get rain as we did with Tropical Storm Hilary but that currently sounds very unlikely.

      Delete
  6. You’ve been busy. It’s nice to get some of those things on our garden lists done. Especially if your weather is going to be less pleasant for working. Our weather has been fluctuating wildly, but it’s currently great for working in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent most of today inside doing chores, Linda. The last 2 days have been toasty, although our temperature dropped over 10 degrees between 2pm and 5pm this afternoon. I expect that was due to wind and clouds blowing in as a byproduct of Tropical Storm Jova. It seems unlikely we're going to get any rain from this system but I'm happy if the cooler temperatures stick.

      Delete
  7. Taking down those bloom stalks is like felling trees! Nice work all around and I love your new Rudbeckia 'August Sun.' Is it an annual or perennial? Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the Rudbeckia is an annual, although neither the tag nor online sources have specified that, Eliza. Rudbeckia is generally treated as an annual in my climate in any case.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.