Friday, September 15, 2023

Bloom Day - September 2023

In mid-August I whined over the sad state of affairs in my cutting garden, especially the significant delay in getting my dahlias to bloom.  I won't run through the reasons for this again.  Suffice it to say that the situation is much improved this month with dahlias playing the starring role on this Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day.

View of my cutting garden.  The biggest problem with it this month are that many of the larger dahlias are flopping over one another because they weren't all properly supported early in their development, which was entirely my fault.

Top row: Dahlias 'Belle of Barmera', 'Fairway Spur', and 'Labyrinth'
Middle: 'Summer's End' and a noID variety that was supposed to be 'French Can Can' but isn't
Bottom: 'Mikaya Miranda' and 'Lavender Ruffles'


Two views of Dahlia 'La Luna', a tuber that never bloomed last year and was mistakenly left in its raised bed, only to appear this year with a vigorous crop of flowers

 

Dahlia 'Catching Fire' (not shown) bloomed profusely in August.  It has a few buds so I may see it again before the end of the season.  Meanwhile, five other late bloomers have buds but have not yet bloomed: Dahlias 'Break Out', 'Calin', 'Iceberg', Lady Darlene', and 'Romantique'.  I'm trying to remain patient.


Instead of sowing seeds of Cosmos bipinnatus once I cleared the raised planters in in early June, I planted plugs.  They're all blooming now.

I've had a good experience with the seed-grown sunflower, Helianthus annuus 'Joker', shown on the left and upper right at its peak this month.  I bought Helianthus 'Sunbelievable Brown-Eyed Girl' as a potted plant in May and gave it more room to grow in a half-barrel (lower right).  It's rewarded me with continuous blooms ever since.

I've been very pleased with Rudbeckia this year.  The hybrid Rudbeckia 'August Sun' shown at the top is a new acquisition purchased in a pot but Rudbeckia hirta 'Cherokee Sunset' (shown bottom row) were planted as plugs.

The annual zinnias are flowering less vigorously this month than last.  A lot of them have been crowded out by the flopping dahlias.  Clockwise from the upper left, those still putting on a good showing include: Zinnia elegans 'Benary's Giant Purple', 'Candy Mix', Mazurkia', and 'Queen Lime Orange'.

 

There have been several small surprises elsewhere in the garden this month.

I planted 5 bulbs of Hymenocallis festalis 'Zwanenburg' (aka Peruvian daffodil) last year and got the first blooms this year following Tropical Storm Hilary.  They stagger their blooms, one showing up after another finishes.  Hopefully, they'll naturalize and I'll get a more abundant display in future years.

This noID Plumeria is blooming for the first time.  The bulb was given to me years ago by a neighbor who retrieved it from a trash can, which I planted in a large terracotta pot.

I planted a single Stachys 'Lilac Falls' in a back garden border in February 2016.  It soon disappeared and I hadn't seen it again until this month.  I assume that it was brought back from the dead by our unusual summer rainstorm.  According to online sources it's a hybrid of Lamium and Stachys.  The flowers are tiny but pretty.

Stapelia grandiflora (aka starfish flower) blooms erratically on its own schedule

The Symphyotrichum chilense 'Purple Haze' I intentionally removed in 2021 is back!  It's a native California aster that spreads by rhizomes and, although I appreciate the flowers, it's more aggressive than I'd like when it gets a lot of water.

Tillandsia ionantha bloomed inside my lath house but it has a pup so I hope it'll stay with me awhile yet


 

Many of my garden stalwarts produced a flush of blooms following the rare tropical storm that passed through our area in late August, delivering two glorious inches of rain.

Clematis terniflora (aka sweet autumn clematis) is the only member of this genus I've managed to keep alive.  This year, in addition to climbing up an arbor, it's creeping through my Cistus shrubs.

Cupheas respond well to rain!  Clockwise from the upper left are Cupheas 'Honeybells', 'Starfire Pink', and 'Vermillionaire' (shown in closeup and in context).

The coral and white Dipladenias, relatives of Mandevilla, do well in heat with sufficient water

Many of the Gazanias in my garden are self-seeded.  The only named variety in this group is Gazania 'Otomi', shown on the upper right.

Globularia x indubia (aka globe daisy) has been productive this year

Grevillea 'Superb' is productive year-round every year

Lantana are beloved by butterflies and hummingbirds,  I have a variety of them in my garden, most of which are probably the shrubby Lantana camara.  The exception is the one in the middle of the top row, which is Lantana montevidensis (aka trailing Lantana).

I'd been disappointed by Salvia 'Mystic Spires' this year but it sprang to life after Tropical Storm Hilary's visit

Tulbaghia violacea (aka society garlic) is blooming more heavily now than it did this spring

 

 

Two plants that provided abundant color earlier in the year are now poised to exit the stage until next year.

The pale blue and white Agapanthus are done for the season but this dark-flowered cultivar, 'Elaine', is still producing new flowers.  I need more of these!

The majority of the pink-flowered Amaryllis belladonna are gone but I found a few slackers hiding out in shadier parts of my garden.  As usual, the white-flowered variety comes along at the tail end of the season.

 

I'll end as I usually do with the best of the rest, collected in collages organized by color.

Clockwise from the upper left: Sutera cordata (syn Bacopa cordata), Euryops chrysanthemoides, Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun', Crassula falcata, Daucus carota 'Dara', and Leucadendron salignum 'Blush'


Clockwise from the upper left: noID Angelonia, Eustoma grandiflorum, Fuchsia 'Wind Chimes White', Catharanthus roseus, Osteospermum 'Berry White', and Pelargonium hortorum 'Dynamo Purple'

Clockwise from the upper left: Abelia grandiflora 'Kaleidoscope', Achillea ptarmica, noID Angelonia, Pandorea jasminoidies, and Scabiosa columbaria

Clockwise from the upper left: Duranta erecta 'Sapphire Showers', Monarda 'Peter's Purple', Nemesia 'Sun Glow Yellow Bicolor', Echinops ritro ruthenicus, and Medinilla myriantha

 

For more posts celebrating September's Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, visit our host, Carol of May Dreams Gardens.  Enjoy your weekend!


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party




28 comments:

  1. Considering it's performance this year, maybe you should "mistakenly" leave "Dahlia 'La Luna' in the bed again this year... :-)
    The white cosmos bloom with the pink ruffled edge is lovely and unique.
    The Stapelia is gorgeous and in a most perfect pot!
    The rain that fell recently may be responsible for the abundance of blooms in California gardens. I wish you could rely on it regularly every summer.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Dahlia 'La Luna' has been in that bed nearly 1.5 years, I imagine the tuber clump is very large now and in need of dividing so I'll pull it up and double my chances of getting blooms from it next year (and save it from potentially rotting in that well-watered bed during its dormant period)! As to summer rain in our future, with climate change and tropical hurricanes and storms driven by higher ocean temperatures in the South Pacific, who knows what the future may bring!

      Delete
  2. At one time, I planned on having a dahlia collection such as you have, but have slowly stopped growing them as they don't perform well for us. They are so pretty and it is nice to see them finally doing well for you this summer. I've been thinking of heading more down the rudbeckia route here. They are one of the flowers that kept blooming without any water at all for 4 months. Love that pot that the Stapelia is in. It's such a cool plant. I need to check if my is blooming this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dahlias need the sun's heat (as well as water) during their growing period and consistent heat may be less available up your way, Jerry. They're my biggest indulgence in terms of water usage. I've come to love Rudbeckias too and their autumn colors make a nice change from the dahlias.

      Delete
  3. OOoh, Dahlia La Luna is so pretty. Gorgeous blooms everywhere, everything looks so stellar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been surprised by and very pleased with 'La Luna' myself, tz. It's a keeper!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, your blooms are just gorgeous. Thank you for sharing your gardens with us. Love your dahlias, I can see you know far more about growing them than I do. This is my second year to grow them but I think mine may have been getting too much water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dahlias love water once the tubers have germinated, Judy. Watering them before they produce sprouts isn't advised because that can cause the tubers to rot (as I've not only heard from experts but also learned from personal experience) but once the plant is growing above ground they want sun and water. According to the experts at Swan Island Dahlias, they also appreciate fertilizer every 3-4 weeks but again only once they've sprouted.

      Delete
  5. So many flowers! I'm seriously crushing on your Grevillea 'Superb', again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Superb' deserves its name, Loree. If I could take only one plant with me to a desert island, it'd be that one.

      Delete
  6. Kris, your garden is outstanding, congratulations! You are so fortunate to have a mild climate and be able to grow sub-tropical exotics! Many years ago I had a Stapelia growing as a houseplant in my office and it bloomed--haven't seen one in bloom since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I wouldn't previously have characterized our climate as sub-tropical as Southern California was historically known for its dry heat but we seem to be getting higher and more frequent stretches of humidity so perhaps we're headed in that direction.

      Delete
  7. A beautiful variety of blooms!
    Love the Lantanas!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lea. I love the Lantanas almost as much as the butterflies and hummingbirds do.

      Delete
  8. Your garden looks gorgeous as always Kris! LOVE your dahlias, that top row especially is right up my alley. And your sunflowers are so pretty. The rudbeckia caught my eye too. I planted last year and have been anxiously awaiting its blooms, but apparently the deer find it delicious and keep chomping it back. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planted most of my Rudbeckias as plugs (from nursery 6-packs) so they got a quick start. I treat them as annuals here, although some will survive as short-lived perennials in my climate.

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous blooms and so much variety! I am very envious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy. We didn't have any monstrous heatwaves this year and the tropical storm gave the plants an unexpected boost.

      Delete
  10. I literally gasped when your blog opened. What an amazing display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dahlias I so impatiently waited for made a huge difference this month, Linda. I'm hoping that the remaining dahlia plants get a little time in the limelight before the season comes to an end.

      Delete
  11. Oh yes, those Dahlias are beautiful! And the Sunflowers and the Cosmos and everything else. Happy Bloom Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. I'm so glad the dahlias came through so well this month, even if I'm still waiting on 5 of them.

      Delete
  12. Such a wealth of blooms - I started yesterday then came back today for even more viewing. Your dahlias, especially, are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing dahlias has made our hot, dry summers a bit more tolerable, Alana ;)

      Delete
  13. I have had that experience with dahlias, many a year, and I’m so glad they came through for you! Some years, they seem to take forever. They are gorgeous! And everything is in high summer profusion for you. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. It's been an unusual summer for us, not that I'm complaining.

      Delete
  14. So enjoyable to gaze upon your September blooms Kris. Your stapelia is in an ideal pot. I love the way the flower is peaking over the rim. I thought starfish before I read your caption 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Stapelia always attracts attention, Anna. It produces a scent likened to that of rotten meat to attract flies as pollinators but I can't smell it unless I get my nose up close, which I never do!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.