Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Wild & Weedy Wednesday: Not quite weeds

I'm joining Cathy of Words and Herbs once again this week to share four plants that aren't classified as weeds (at least in California) but behave a bit like them.  I've found the first three of the four somewhat difficult to manage as they self-seed wherever they like and can be difficult to remove when they settle where they're not wanted.

The first one is known by the colorful common name of Hairy Canary Clover.  Despite its common name it's native to Portugal, not the Canary Islands.  It's now classified as Lotus hirsutus but it's appeared in my blog posts on earlier occasions under its former classification, Dorycnium hirsutum.  Its foliage is soft and ever-gray.

As I recall, I originally planted it from a 4-inch pot in one of the driest areas of my garden.  It's since spread widely within that area and, although it prefers to seed itself, I've managed to transfer seedlings into my front garden as well.

As you can see in this closeup, the flowers look very much like clover.  The bees love it too.

One transplant in my front garden overtook its space and grew into the driveway following this year's heavier rain.  It doesn't look so good after being cut back (right) and I'm tempted to pull up the mother plant and let the fallen seeds replant the area.

It produces gobs of seeds

It likes to plant itself in gravel but its takes some effort to get those seedlings out.  The seedlings take their time to get established if they're moved.


It's an attractive groundcover and lovely in and out of flower, although as the photo of the plant adjacent to our driveway shows, it doesn't look great immediately after it's been pruned back hard.


Gaura lindheimeri is another plant that seeds itself wherever it likes but it's not as prolific as the Lotus.  I like its airy look but I wish it was more accommodating about its placement as it's seedlings don't transplant well.

In my garden it looks best early in the season as it's just taking off.  This photo was taken in mid-June.

These plants seeded themselves right in the middle of a path.  I haven't removed them yet but that's in my near-term plans.

 

I sowed seeds of the third wildflower, Daucus carota 'Dara', and then promptly forgot about it until a large plant appeared.  Before it flowered for the first time back in 2019, I was afraid that poison hemlock, a plant it resembles, had sprung up in my garden.  This one is regarded as a noxious weed in Washington state but not in California.  It's known for planting itself in disturbed places and is said to compete with native grasses and impact agricultural sites.  It's very pretty but it has a deep taproot so it isn't always easy to remove.  It also self-seeds broadly.

The plants shown here have self-sown close to its original position but seedlings have also appeared elsewhere in my back garden

It's a useful cut flower; however, it's best cut before it's fully developed as it drops seed once it's in full bloom


The last plant is native to California and, like the Daucus, it spreads in disturbed areas and is reportedly often found in ditches and along roadsides, although I can't say I'd ever seen it before I purchased an unlabeled plant from my neighborhood garden center on a whim.  I later learned that it's a form of gumweed, Grindelia (probably Grindelia camporum).  It's semi-deciduous in summer.  After it finished blooming last year I cut it down nearly to the ground.  It formed a nice compact clump this year - until it suddenly shot up over three feet in height and flopped all over its neighbors.

Loaded with buds, it produced its first bright yellow daisy flowers last week

It was planted in a spot way too small for its current size and flopped over all its neighbors

It had to go and I made relatively quick work of its removal.  The surrounding plants looked much better afterwards.

I cut a few stems and put them in a small vase.  The only criticism of the plant I have is that every part of it - the flowers, the leaves and the stems - are super-sticky.

The Grindelia didn't belong where I originally placed it when I had no idea what I was dealing with.  It needs a larger, open space where it can spread out.  If I find such a spot elsewhere, I may plant it again as it's said to be attractive to pollinators.


That's this week's weed report.  To find more wildflowers, visit Cathy at Words and Herbs.



All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


14 comments:

  1. I chuckled when I read "It needs a larger, open space... If I find such a spot elsewhere...". From reading your blog for a while now, I don't believe you have large open space left :-D
    Hairy Canary Clover is so soft and sweet, hugging Aeonium 'Kiwi' in the first photo. It barely survives Seattle winters (for many years now), occasionally produces a volunteer. It looks pretty hideous till it recovers in late spring and summer, and then I succumb to it's charm all over again.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chided myself a little about my limited capacity for finding another home for an exuberant Grindelia, Chavli, but you never know when a space could open just when I come across another specimen ;) You may note that I didn't go so far as to save a division of the plant in a pot...

      Hairy Canary Clover is one of those plants that make me wish our winters were a little harsher to control its relentless advance.

      Delete
  2. I planted a Gaura lindheimeri in my front garden years ago. Friends cautioned me about it's reseeding and I ignored them, things that have a reputation for reseeding are rarely a problem for me (dry garden, gravel mulch). The next year as soon as "extra" plants started to show up I yanked that thing. Such a beautiful plant though, the way it sways with the breeze like a grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaura is the perfect plant for blowing in the breeze but of course that aids its movement throughout the garden too. I was fairly successful in removing it from its original position but it thwarted me by moving to 3 other spots. A pink flowered one even appeared in the middle of a lavender.

      Delete
  3. The clover is actually really pretty, but if the roots are really like clover I would be very hesitant about letting it into my garden! Gaura is a self-seeder here too, but I just pull out the seedlings I don't want. Sometimes I replant them or put them in pots. I love them though and they look pretty in your garden beds. 😃 It is interesting that Daucus carota is considered a noxious weed in some areas… it is simply tolerated here and doesn't pose a problem, but rarely spreads beyond roadsides or the edges of woodland. Grindella sounds a bit creepy! I don't like sticky plants, especially if they try to throttle neighbouring plants. So I think you did the right thing disposing of it! You have enough for the pollinators anyway! Enjoyed this post very much Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, Cathy. The roots of this clover haven't been a significant problem - it's the rampant self-seeding that makes me crazy here. I guess it likes my soil! The Grindelia is described as "resinous" and it's the stickiest plant I've met yet.

      Delete
  4. I just pull the Lotus when it starts to look bad, then leave a seedling to grow somewhere else. It has not reseeded so much here that it is a problem. The bees like it here, too.

    The bed without the Grindella looks much better! The flowers are nice but not so extraordinary that one would want to put up with a floppy, sticky plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I probably need to pull out some of my Lotus and let the seeds or a seedling fill in as necessary. That plant REALLY seems to like the warmth of the driveway, maybe too much.

      The Grindelia is a lesson that I should avoid planting any plant I know nothing about. In that case, I didn't even know that the plant was when I placed it, much less how big it might get.

      Delete
  5. That Lotus grows like a weed up here too, but it's so darn cute! We had it at Joy Creek. In my shady garden things that spread like weeds are Labrador violets, Gallium odoratum, and sword ferns. I love them and am grateful for them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got western sword ferns too; however, they're so easy to pull out, I don't really consider them weeds ;)

      Delete
  6. I have one hairy Canary clover plant that took YEARS to establish. It's a fairly good-sized clump now, but I've never seen any seedlings.

    Gaura lindheimeri, on the other hand, seeds so aggressively that I stopped growing it altogether.

    I've never grown the other two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re the hairy Canary clover, the seedlings I've managed to transplant also seem to take forever to get established while those that seed themselves appear to explode in no time. Maybe the plant is just particular about where it wants to grow.

      Delete
  7. I really like the Lotus hirsutus, I agree, the mother plant looks like it is ready to go. I've tried Grindelia and haven't been successful with it yet. The original plant seeded a bit, but all of the seedlings seem to be stuck in maintenance mode and have stayed very small for a couple years. Not a big fan of floppers, so maybe I'm glad it didn't take well after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your experience with Grindelia, Jerry. As to the Lotus, I pulled the one that was encroaching on the driveway this morning, or most of it at least - it had multiple fat, deeply rooted stems, some of which I still need to dig out and the heat got to me this morning before I could finish..

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.