Monday, July 10, 2023

In a Vase on Monday: Lilies & Thistles

This week, my arrangements differ in texture as much as color.  The lilies in my garden have been appearing one after another and, as heat is in the forecast, I thought it best to use at least some of them in vases while I can.

Lilium 'Friso' offered its first blooms this week.  I'd completely forgotten about them and failed to cage them as protection against the hungry rabbits but they weren't touched this year, perhaps because they're partially engulfed by the surrounding plants.

Back view: I added a single Lilium 'Pretty Woman' (which I had caged) and 2 stems of white Agapanthus that were blocking the dirt path I use when cleaning up the back garden border

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: noID Agapanthus, noID Alstroemeria, Hebe 'Wiri Blush', Lilium 'Friso', L. 'Pretty Woman', and Leptospermum 'Copper Glow'


My selection of thistles for my second vase wasn't planned.  As I was cleaning up parts of my garden on Saturday, I discovered that the fancy artichoke in my back garden border had either been knocked to the ground by a critter overnight, or simply fallen over under its own considerable weight.

I only have a few vases heavy enough to hold the weight of the artichoke upright.  I had to cut off the 2 side chokes because the stem of this central choke was greater than an inch in diameter just by itself.  The artichoke was more prickly than many of the agaves in my collection.

Back view:  Even with just a single artichoke stem, I could only squeeze in a few other slender stems 

Top view: The additions included a few stems of Eryngium planum (aka sea holly) and the papery flowers of Limonium perezii (aka sea lavender).  Although the Eryngium was past its prime,  its purply stems and spent brown flowers played off the colors of the artichoke.

Clockwise from the left: Cynara scolymus 'Purple Romagna', Erngium planum 'Blue Glitter', and Limonium perezii

 

I honestly hadn't planned any additional arrangements but ended up with two more anyway.  In one case, I'd cut flowers to be included in the vase containing the artichoke but popped them into a tiny vase when I decided the stems were too short to make an impact in that arrangement.

I used my small cactus-shaped vase to hold a few stems of Melaleuca thymifolia, Polygala myrtifolia, and Scabiosa columbaria 'Deep Blue'.  The unusual flowers of the Melaleuca are particularly difficult to photograph.


 

In the last case, the second of the beautiful Gladiolus 'Guinea' in another back garden border flopped over on its own and I couldn't bear letting it go to waste.

The top row shows the small vase holding the gladiola from the front, back and top.  I used just 2 stems of Grevillea 'Superb' and several stems of Abelia 'Kaleidoscope' to accompany Gladiolus 'Guinea'.

 

We managed to avoid the heat that afflicted much of Los Angeles County last week but this week's heat sounds more menacing.  Hopefully, our morning marine layer will stick with us now, when it's really needed and keep those afternoon temperatures within bounds, but with the weather world-wide becoming less predictable, who knows?


For more IAVOM creations, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.


 


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


30 comments:

  1. Lovely variety this week, Kris! Like you, I went around salvaging fallen angels to make a vase this week. No sense wasting good flowers, right?
    The weather all around is shocking no matter where you look. Hard to look at the weather channel. :( Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New records for the hottest day on the planet day after day isn't a good thing, that's for certain, Eliza! Yes, I can't ignore a fallen flower, or even one I've cut and chosen not to use as I'd originally envisioned.

      Delete
  2. It's funny how this week, with each vase you revealed I thought IT was my favorite. The all-white Agapanthus is great with the lilies, the artichoke is wholly unexpected, the cactus vase is cute and color perfect, and the forth arrangement has that spectacular gladiola! Years ago, I lusted after gladiolus 'Isle Of Capri' which is no longer available. Gladiolus 'Guinea' reminds me of it.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up Gladiolus 'Isle of Capri' and, although publicity photos of the flower were available, I couldn't find it for sale online either, Chavli. I got my 'Guinea' bulbs from Brent & Becky's bulbs. If you're interested in that one, their site says it'll be available in January ;)

      Delete
  3. I love the title of your blog. Makes me think heaven and hell. Love that Artichoke. Pretty spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That artichoke did have nasty spines. I ended up with one in my finger even though I was wearing gloves. It bites! My other artichokes aren't nearly as vicious.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's true! I'm hardly even noticing the absence of flowers - or buds - on my dahlias (at least so far).

      Delete
  5. OMG! That Cynara scolymus 'Purple Romagna' is amazing! You featured it well. Simple arrangement lover that I am, I also really like the cactus vase combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have guessed that those 2 would catch you eye, Loree ;)

      Delete
  6. Love your lily vase and I am pleased the rabbits missed them! Perhaps one day I will have sufficient spikes of agapanthus to cut some for a vase... 😉 The artichoke vase is surpisingly effective too, and I adore your snippets in the cacti vases - thanks for sharing them all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that Agapanthus are now being bed to handle colder temperatures, Cathy. In fact, I think I heard that was true of this year's Chelsea Show winner, Agapanthus 'Black Jack', too. That one isn't even available in the US yet but I gather it is in the UK.

      Delete
  7. Two completely different stunning vases. Love and miss my lilies and with agapanthus...be still my heart! And I have never seen an artichoke in bloom in a vase....genius and love the mix of flowers added to it. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably wouldn't have cut that artichoke if I hadn't found it toppled over, Donna. It's very photogenic all by itself. The stem and blooming choke are amazingly heavy, though.

      Delete
  8. My goodness, those are fantastic. I love the artichoke. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the second (or maybe third) time the artichoke has borne fruit (or rather veg) in my garden, Amelia. I really hope it'll reappear next year despite its early demise this year.

      Delete
  9. Fabulous vases Kris! I'm most envious of your white agapanthus flowers - I have one but the plant is all foliage. I hope that the morning marine layer is listening and duly obliges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the marine layer was back again this morning but it cleared before 10am, Anna. We reached a high of 83F (28C) today, which is higher than expected but not too bad. It currently looks like the marine layer will stay with us all week, at least during the morning hours :)

      Delete
  10. Oh how lovely. The lilies are blooming here, too--all the different forms. I guess this is one of a few times of year when we have somewhat similar schedules. I really like the vase with the artichoke--both the arrangement and the actual vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilies aren't known for lasting a long time here but I'm pleased that they've put on a pretty good show this year, Beth. I just need to remember to protect the plants from the ravenous rabbits when their foliage starts to emerge.

      Delete
  11. Such stunning arrangement. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the lilies. Would love to have a pair of agapanthus in the way of my path! The artichoke is a grand thing on its own. Amazing. Everything you grow is unique. Hope the weather is good to you Kris. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good news is that, when plants are hidden from view like those tall stalks of Agapanthus, I feel no compunction at all about cutting them, Susie ;)

      Delete
  13. Making beautiful use of the face-plants in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that having 2 plants keel over in one week is an anomaly, Denise!

      Delete
  14. Your lilies are doing well this year, how lovely having enough to pick. And how lovely having such an abundance of flowers generally to pick. As usual, they are all gorgeous. The artichoke is very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoops, I forgot to say that that was me writing your last comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chloris. My original 'Pretty Woman' lily is still loaded with buds and it's much taller than it was last year - it may actually become the tree lily it was advertised to be!

      Delete
  16. The artichoke is a beauty Kris, and I am so glad you could rescue it and make an arrangement with it. We have plants knocked about all over the place aftr hefty thunder storms last night, so I may find a few things that need rescuing too! All the different shades of pink in your first vase are delicious together. Oh, and I love that little cactus vase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. I already miss that artichoke in the border and I really hope that it comes back from the roots. In the meantime, I'll be looking for others of the same variety. I've only seen it locally on the one occasion I brought my plant home.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.