Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Flora Grubb Gardens

I finally made it to Flora Grubb Gardens in Marina Del Rey after meeting a friend for lunch last week.  As the restaurant placed me less than thirty minutes from the nursery I decided the time was right to stop by, even if we were building up to a heatwave.

 

I was familiar with the nursery's location, which had operated for decades under different management as the Marina Del Rey Garden Center.  In fact, for a time, fresh out of graduate school, I worked for the hospital directly across the street from it.  I left the hospital for greener pastures after a couple of years but while living in one nearby beach city, followed by another, I shopped at the MDR Garden Center frequently over the years.  My current home is further away but I dropped in periodically even after that move.  I can't remember when I last visited but I think it was prior to the start of the pandemic.  When I heard that Flora Grubb had acquired the space in May, I immediately planned to visit but it took me over two months to act on that plan.

I was curious as to how extensive the changes would be.  The first thing I noticed was that parking was a lot easier.  When visiting MDR Garden Center, I was often forced to park elsewhere and space in that area wasn't always easy to find.  I'd always thought the MDR Garden Center was more attuned to the requirements of our warm, dry climate than many other nurseries I frequent but Flora Grubb Gardens has kicked that up another notch.

Palms and succulents held pride of place at the front of the nursery





All the plants I saw were in pristine condition and the stock leaned heavily toward the kind of plants I use a lot in my current garden.

The mix of agaves shown here included Agave attenuata, A. geminifolia, A. 'Swordfish', and A. victoriae-reginae

The succulents shown here included Pilocereus azureus (aka blue torch cactus), Cleistocactus colademononis (aka monkey tail cactus), and Aloe doratheae 'Canary Yellow'

They made excellent use of the stretch of land adjacent to the Marina Freeway as shown in this series of photos

The extensive stock of drought-tolerant foliage plants, clockwise from the upper left, included: Acacia covenyi, Cussonia spicata (aka cabbage tree), Fatsia japonica 'Spider's Web', Leucadendron 'Hawaii Magic', L. 'Safari Goldstrike', L.'Safari Sunset', and Leucospermum 'Royal Hawaiian Brandi' (or 'California Sunshine', I can't remember which but I already have both)


Lots of the plants were sold in large three and five gallon pots.  I was impressed by their descriptive labels.

Online sources say that Protea 'Claire' is similar to 'Pink Ice'.  It might be a candidate for one of my front garden beds, although I've yet to get flowers from my 'Pink Ice'.

 

Plants in smaller pots were available.

Lots of small succulents

Clockwise from the upper left: bromeliads, bedding plants in 6-packs, a variety of shade plants, more shade plants, flats of groundcovers, and house plants

This display surprised me.  I didn't see any tags that identified the genus of these plants but I guessed they were tropical (Vireya) Rhododendrons.  I foolishly failed to ask but, after checking for a Rhododendron 'Butterball', it seems very likely that's what they were.  I've been interested in trying one for years.


The nursery is well laid out and comfortable to explore.

Decorative displays were spare but stylish

I couldn't figure out the purpose of what appeared to be a concrete igloo but I kind of liked it.  Maybe it's intended to serve as a shed to hold garden tools.


I didn't buy anything but it was hot and I wanted to get on the freeway to head home before traffic picked up.  I'll definitely be back, though.  There's a Protea and a Rhododendron to take another look at and, if I redo my front garden succulent bed as planned this fall, I may be the market for some large agaves.  The Cussonia spicata is also calling my name but first I need to find a spot for it.


One mystery remains.

I couldn't find an explanation for this RV.  'Pretty Problem$' turns out to be a comic film released for limited distribution in October 2022, directed by Kestrin Pantera.  But what is it doing in a nursery parking lot?  My theory is that, with locations in both San Francisco and Marine Del Rey, the Flora Grubb Gardens staff may be using it as a mobile office.


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

24 comments:

  1. A lot to love in this nursery. You should definitely return before your fall re-do.
    In the same photo of the white metal chairs (#14), there's an enormous spiky plant to the left, towering over the corrugated wall... Wow!
    The rusty-red metal loveseat is adorable, perfectly matching the color of the blooms behind it.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Denise is right on the ID of that plant, Chavli - I'm fairly certain it's Furcraea macdougalii too. I saw that same loveseat bench in both white and red at FGG - I liked it too but then I didn't check the price ;)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tour, lots to love there and I look forward to your return visits! (we may be heading south this year for one of the holidays, maybe I'll get to check it out in person...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth a visit, Loree. Everyone was very nice too.

      Delete
  3. It's nice to see nurseries focusing on more regional and/or drought tolerant plants that are actually adapted to local conditions. A couple years ago, we visited some nurseries in the high desert of northern Mexico and I also took the opportunity to visit a Mennonite nursery in Cuahtemoc, MX yesterday, which was substantially more diverse than the Mexican nurseries. It's a very different experience with focus on splashy annuals, perennials, and houseplants. Sadly, very few locally-adapted natives and the best guess is that most people here wouldn't want them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Mennonite nursery in Mexico sounds interesting, Jerry. California nurseries/garden centers are getting better at bringing in native and adapted climate adapted plants but season flowers are still king in most. Even if I'm something of a floral fanatic, it drives me crazy that most garden centers don't offer flowering plants until they're actually flowering, which is usually the worst time to put them in.

      Delete
  4. So glad you made it and had a good look around -- lots of photos for us! (Chavli, I think that spiky plant might be Furcraea macdougalii -- I've got one home in zone 10 about that big, last time I looked!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice nursery, different from MDR Garden Center but still a draw for plant shoppers. I predict that homes in Marina and Mar Vista will have far more agaves, Leucadendrons and Leucospermum in the coming years ;) The prices seemed on par with those at OC Succulents' Torrance satellite outlet, which at least at one time was said to offer succulents like those at "bargain" prices.

      Delete
  5. That looks fabulous. Loved the way they displayed plants and the fact there are various sizes. Well worth a return visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally like to buy plants in the 1-gallon size or smaller. Interestingly, I can't actually remember seeing anything in 1-gallon pots - most were in 3-5 gallon pots or sizes well below 1-gallon. However, many succulents are slow growers and take forever to make a statement. That's been an issue with my front garden succulent bed and I'm aiming to get more of a bang out of that area when I renovate it later this year.

      Delete
  6. Their stock looks really good, always a pleasure seeing well-run nurseries. Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't see a single sad-looking plant there, Eliza. I'm not sure I can say that about any other nursery/garden center I've visited in recent memory.

      Delete
  7. I was going to ask you--how is the parking there? Do they have a dedicated lot?

    Am tempted to make the drive there. Looks like they have some good stuff. FG has growing grounds somewhere like Bonsall or Vista--northern SD county, prime for Leucadendron, etc.

    Good report on what they've got. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they have a dedicated parking lot. So did MDR Garden Center but FGG has increased the space surrounding the entrance to provide a lot more parking spaces (even with that huge RV currently occupying a chunk of space). The nursery is freeway close, literally sitting an the end point of the Marina freeway. All the labels I saw indicated that the plants came from Grubb and Nadler.

      Delete
  8. I'm surprised you didn't buy anything, but of course you can head back later... OK, I'll be right over and we can visit together. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh - that looks like an amazing place to explore! Your restraint is admirable, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've a "no planting in summer rule" and although I've made exceptions in the past, particularly for succulents, the heatwave pretty much quashed any siren calls I might have otherwise succumbed to, Anna. It helped that I told myself at the outset that it was a purely investigative visit too ;)

      Delete
  10. Looks like it could be an expensive visit as there are so many cool plants. I admire your restraint in waiting until Fall to buy and plant anything. Mid summer here and I am still planting. Keeping everything watered can be a challenge during the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watering is my main focus in July and August, Elaine. My area was supposed to be in the mid-80sF this week but we're consistently seeing temperatures well above that, along with higher than usual humidity, which makes it feel worse. We're hovering just below 90F (32C) right now and it isn't noon yet. I'm still trying to bring all those late-sown zinnia and sunflower seeds to blooms, along with the dahlias.

      Delete
  11. So many great plants. I would definitely blow my budget if I go there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may eventually blow my budget shopping there but that's not likely to happen during the summer months when planting anything here is a dicey proposition ;)

      Delete
  12. Hello there. Thank you so much for all of your kind words about my nursery. And although a little mystery in life is never a bad thing, I can explain the giant RV… Among the reasons that I wanted to open a nursery in Los Angeles is because one of my three brothers lives here in LA along with his wife. This giant RV has a karaoke bar inside if you can believe it. And the movie pretty problems was directed by my sister-in-law, Kestrin Pantera. So the RV belongs to them and was hanging out for a little while because once you have a giant parking lot… people ask you to park things in it . ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the back story on that! I expect I'll be making a trip out to your nursery again before the year is out.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.